Thread: has the referendum result been *******ised?

Thanks

has the referendum result been *******ised?

I feel the reason 36m people voted was not just because of the subject at hand (our membership of EU) but precisely because it was a referendum. It was the first time in many people's lives including mine that we had the chance to vote on an issue of this magnitude in a purely democratic way. One person one vote, everyone's having exactly the same leverage on the overall outcome. The plutocratic manouevring and machinations of Gina Miller and Dominic Grieve meant that the House of Commons commandeered the whole process in such a way that it has now been subjected to all the disparities and distortions of first-past-the-post. This was precisely what a referendum was meant to avoid and it was parliament exercising its sovereignty when they voted to give us the poll.

To deliberately nullify that equality of representation promised to the wider public because you don't like they way we voted is by definition an assault and a betrayal of democracy. Those are not emotive terms they are a very real and empirical description of a reality The likes of Grieve and Miller have chosen to create. I dont wish any harm on them nor would I encourage others to perpetrate any menaces towards them or celebrate if they did so. But if it did happen and I was walking down the street at the time I would cross over to the other side and continue walking. If you are rich and powerful enough to treat democracy as your personal toy then you are big enough to look after yourself without my help if the worst happens. To hear MPs moaning about inflammatory language and the toxicity of the Brexit debate is like listening to a load of skunks complaining that the room stinks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andymus For This Useful Post:

johnofgwent (13-10-2019), Major Sinic (13-10-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andymus View Post
    I feel the reason 36m people voted was not just because of the subject at hand (our membership of EU) but precisely because it was a referendum. It was the first time in many people's lives including mine that we had the chance to vote on an issue of this magnitude in a purely democratic way. One person one vote, everyone's having exactly the same leverage on the overall outcome. The plutocratic manouevring and machinations of Gina Miller and Dominic Grieve meant that the House of Commons commandeered the whole process in such a way that it has now been subjected to all the disparities and distortions of first-past-the-post. This was precisely what a referendum was meant to avoid and it was parliament exercising its sovereignty when they voted to give us the poll.

To deliberately nullify that equality of representation promised to the wider public because you don't like they way we voted is by definition an assault and a betrayal of democracy. Those are not emotive terms they are a very real and empirical description of a reality The likes of Grieve and Miller have chosen to create. I dont wish any harm on them nor would I encourage others to perpetrate any menaces towards them or celebrate if they did so. But if it did happen and I was walking down the street at the time I would cross over to the other side and continue walking. If you are rich and powerful enough to treat democracy as your personal toy then you are big enough to look after yourself without my help if the worst happens. To hear MPs moaning about inflammatory language and the toxicity of the Brexit debate is like listening to a load of skunks complaining that the room stinks.
    I think I've known what these people are like for nearly my entire life. You soon find out when you challenge them. It's not just in Westminster, but they are everywhere, in schools, universities, councils, charities and pretty much anywhere else which does unproductive and destructive work against our people. They all follow the official line, no matter how senseless, how corrupt. In the old days we would have slung an axe at them to keep their numbers down. I think it is a genetic problem.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked."Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

Thanks
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,433 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would not cross the road, I would livestream it. And I would laugh.

Years ago, a man i respected for the job he did got my father to pop round and nick all my decent scotch which the two of them proceeded to drink. It took all weekend.

He then resigned (well, took early retirement).

I don't begrudge him any of that, except that I would have appreciated an invite to the drinking.

That man then went on to write a series of mediaeval crime novels focussing on a role invented by my long past ancestor.

You see, after the Norman conquest, the king set up a court to hear the pleas of the common man and the pleas of the crown at the session assizes.

These scum have usurped power and usurped the system to their own desires.

Hanging truly is too good for them.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue" (Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929")

Thanks
    This will come home to roost at the next general election when I predict you will see at least a handful of constituencies with 25% turnout or less. When these jerks in Westminster then start banging on about making voting compulsory you just know they will invoke the old arm-twister that those who don't participate in elections are betraying the brave men and women who died in 2 world wars protecting that very right.

Well here's my pre-emptive answer to that point. If it ever becomes scientifically possible to bring back from the grave, even for one day, those brave servicemen who made the ultimate sacrifice then they will be a hundred times faster than the rest of us to reel away in utter revulsion at what those braying sheep in the House of Commons have done with it. I truly believe many of them would refuse to vote or engage with the sham of democracy we have in this country. And pray god they don't come back with their guns because by the time they returned to their graves we would need to arrange an awful lot of by-elections.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andymus For This Useful Post:

johnofgwent (14-10-2019)