Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: More project fear videos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DeppityDawg View Post
    Hey, be careful. The remainers have remarked loads of times about how they "would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you darned fogies" [credits to Scooby Doo, another cartoon dog of 70s fame]

Just watch out they don't start pushing all you old coffin dodgers under buses.
    I always rather suspected that was to Lankou way of thinking, but he was always ridden with a streak of humour decency, so never really acted on it.

I am sure that we are all quite enjoying the post Brexit horror stories, but I still think sod all will happen come Der Tag

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All along there have been two rival Project Fears, one promoted by remainers and one by Brexiters. The seemingly wildest 'scare story' from the remain side was David Cameron's warning that leaving the EU could lead to civil war in Britain. The wildest 'scare story' of the Brexiters was that Turkey was being fast-tracked into the EU and millions of Turks were preparing to move to Britain. Both these scenarios seemed pretty far-fetched in 2016 - but now in 2019 which of the two is the least far-fetched. The clue is that today's events have made it even more far-fetched.
    29,089,259 people did not say LEAVE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    All along there have been two rival Project Fears, one promoted by remainers and one by Brexiters. The seemingly wildest 'scare story' from the remain side was David Cameron's warning that leaving the EU could lead to civil war in Britain. The wildest 'scare story' of the Brexiters was that Turkey was being fast-tracked into the EU and millions of Turks were preparing to move to Britain. Both these scenarios seemed pretty far-fetched in 2016 - but now in 2019 which of the two is the least far-fetched. The clue is that today's events have made it even more far-fetched.
    I suppose it depends on where you live, but most of the remainers I know are in the media and arts and as such pretty gutless. Offer them outside on the stones and they think you want to discuss Mick Jagger's latest girl friend. So the chance of them ever taking part in any sort of civil war is pretty remote. On the other hand, a couple of new Turkish restaurants have opened on the main drag recently, so it looks as though the Brexiters are closer to the mark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    I think the point Beelbeeb is making is that Andrea Leadsom is a strong Brexit supporter
    Is that why he called her a "Noted Remoaner" I think he has no idea who is pro and who is anti Brexit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    a couple of new Turkish restaurants have opened on the main drag recently, so it looks as though the Brexiters are closer to the mark
    There don't appear to be any Turkishg restaurants on either Ocford Street or Piccadilly which apparently are the UK's main drags. More misinformation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by enclosur View Post
    Is that why he called her a "Noted Remoaner" I think he has no idea who is pro and who is anti Brexit.
    I should have put a [sarcasm] label on it shouldn't I?

I'm fully aware of who.andrea Leadsom is which is precisely why it's relevent.

It's interesting to see that Brexiters like Borchester still dismiss warnings of the disruption that no deal brexit will bring even when it's delivered by people who in no way could be described as "remoaners"

....I am sure that we are all quite enjoying the post Brexit horror stories, but I still think sod all will happen come Der Tag

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,400 Posts
    I don't think anyone is denying there will be problems Beelbeeb. It's the way these "warnings" are presented, as if following the democratic decision is going to destroy the whole planet.

It reminds me of a clip from the Simpsons when Homer is giving Bart a bit of fatherly advice, which consists of saying "If something is hard to do, it isn't worth doing". Funny but "saving the planet" is going to be hard to do and is going to impact the average Joe much more than Brexit, but we don't see endless warnings about the effects this will have on our country, our jobs our finances and our very lives. Probably because "hip" virtue signalling liberals are fully on board with "saving the planet" (and a few celebrities who will make a few Bob out of it too), but less so in seeing democracy put into practice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeppityDawg View Post
    I don't think anyone is denying there will be problems Beelbeeb. It's the way these "warnings" are presented, as if following the democratic decision is going to destroy the whole planet.

It reminds me of a clip from the Simpsons when Homer is giving Bart a bit of fatherly advice, which consists of saying "If something is hard to do, it isn't worth doing". Funny but "saving the planet" is going to be hard to do and is going to impact the average Joe much more than Brexit, but we don't see endless warnings about the effects this will have on our country, our jobs our finances and our very lives. Probably because "hip" virtue signalling liberals are fully on board with "saving the planet" (and a few celebrities who will make a few Bob out of it too), but less so in seeing democracy put into practice.
    Brexit won't destroy the planet.

It is likely to have negative effects on our standard of living in the UK.

The "warnings" in the video are simply the government laying out what the effects of a no deal brexit will be.

As you can see from the videos and supporting documents *none* of the videos say things like

"After no deal X will be easier/cheaper"

All of them tell you that extra paperwork, checks and processes will be needed and in some cases businesses will no longer new bike to operate from the UK, they have to relocate or close.

This was decidedly not what was offered by the Leave campaign.

Will you argue that where we are today bears any resemblance to what was promised?

It's interesting you mention the climate change debate.

As I have mentioned, there is a strong correlation between being pro brexit and being anti climate change action.

In the case of brexit, a common argument is "even if it does damage the economy I believe brexit is more important"

Very often the same people argue that we cannot tackle climate change "because it will damage the economy"

Thanks
    but I still think sod all will happen come Der Tag
    That is a total impossibility. My business will have to move 50% of its stock to the EU to avoid extra tariffs. Jobs in the UK for handling that stock will no longer exist.

The car industry has made it very clear that tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of jobs will be at risk.

We should go for the backstop deal, after all Brexiteers keep on telling us that they understood what they were voting for. So they knew they were voting for a border in Ireland. So stand by what you voted for.