Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Fullfact Calls for Electoral Reform before any election

Thanks
    The problem is people will always try and game the system.

Just focussing on political ads will see all sorts of shenanigans where "grass roots" organisations start getting involved.

The easiest is to ban targeting full stop. Sure it will hit completely non political ads for a while but seeing less targeted ads for a month or so is a reasonable price to pay.

As an anecdote on targeting I heard (not confirmed) that during the Blair gov, more money was spent advertising low income benefits in the guardian than the sun, which is curious at first glance as the demographics needing income support etc would tend to indicate that the sun is a better vehicle to reach them. Until you realise the intention was not so much to inform those that needed it about it's availability but to inform the middle-class slightly left leaning swing voters about it's availability.

An example of targeted messaging to nudge people the desired way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post

I would propose that for a period of an election or other important democratic event that all the online advertiser's (Google, Facebook, Twitter etc) be compelled to turn off the targeting features for that geographic area.

Say the was a GE, then Google etc would be forbidden from serving ads to the UK (all ads) beyond the most basic of targeting options (constituency level postcode, maybe some age blocs for adult only products - stop sniggering).

This would prevent the politicians being able to tailor their message for each individual and being us back to having to provide a broad message that is seen by, if not all, then most.
    Actually I like that idea, although I haven't really given it much thought yet so it may have some catches or downsides, but at least it's a proposal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Actually I like that idea, although I haven't really given it much thought yet so it may have some catches or downsides, but at least it's a proposal.
    There may well be some downsides. The biggest would be the the non-political ads that get caught up. Though that might also be a bonus as it might show people how targeted their and experience actually is!

The biggest obstacle I can see is enforcing this on platforms outside the UK's jurisdiction.

The EU probably could, but the UK will have much less clout (esp if we sign up to a hasty US/UK FTA)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    I made no such suggestion.
    Fullfact are dependent on people like Google, which certainly suggests what I said.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince