Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Your opinion on the science proves about events mention in the Bible ?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,174
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 219 Times in 169 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    BvL The bible says god is omnipotent, so there you go. Everything is determined by god.
    PdB Omnipotence is the ability to do everything. You could perfectly well be omnipotent and choose to do nothing at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Lotsov View Post
    What is your point? I know what the word means.
    That God's ability to determine everything doesn't prove that "everything is determined by god".

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    555
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 42 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutt View Post
    Lets go deep in the discussion with my new thread. My first question is do you believe in religion in any form, and if you do, what is the specific in your beliefs ? And my second question is what are your opinion on the science researches on religiuos subjects ?

    Last years many researches have been made, which actually can prove some events mentioned in the Bible. For example i can point out few mentioned in Genesis.

    The first example is about giants mentioned in the Bible.

    Maybe an year ago i accidentally found a news about giant skeletons found by scientists. The site and the article would seem really authoritatively, but unfortunately i don't know how to find it again.

    https://www.google.bg/search?biw=168...9T3F09iNNh6eM:

    https://www.liveabout.com/giant-huma...greece-3299810

    Never mind. Here are some images. No doubt that some of them are fake. But some of them seem real. What do you think ?



    Then we go on the Nat Geo's reserach about Noah's Ark.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkwoTMnF8XE

    https://www.arkdiscovery.com/noah%27s_ark.htm

    What would actually do a ship on 8000 ft elevation if the Bible story is not true ?

    And in the final:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG3QsisQrkc

    Proves that cities along the Dead Sea had been destroyed and they are most likely Sodom and Gomorrah(another story from the Bible)
    Sections of the bible are broadly based on historical events and scientists may find events which could potentially correspond to events in the Bible but that doesn't give any particular credence to the religious parts.

    It is historical fiction with a generous helping of fantasy. Someone like Jesus could have existed but he probably didn't walk on water or come back to life after being brutally executed.

    Attempting to link biblical events to real world events is just a bit of academic fun.

    Just for background I was raised CoE, went to Church and Sunday School etc...but have no recollection of seeing it as anything more than a collection of stories. When I reached the age of ten my mum asked me if I wanted to carry on going to church and I told her no and I later would identify as an atheist.

    I do however have an interest in secular Buddhist practices. The science on the efficacy of it's practices makes interesting reading but sadly its commercialisation has led to some claims which go far beyond the data.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    So called "religions" can be created. But there is no way a scientist can distort a commitment to faith. There is no way, for example, I could commit or follow or believe in anything to do with Islam. I am not a scientist.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    All posts as an ordinary member unless marked mod notice.
    Posts
    11,164
    Thanks
    2,734
    Thanked 2,825 Times in 2,080 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    Sections of the bible are broadly based on historical events and scientists may find events which could potentially correspond to events in the Bible but that doesn't give any particular credence to the religious parts.

    It is historical fiction with a generous helping of fantasy. Someone like Jesus could have existed but he probably didn't walk on water or come back to life after being brutally executed.

    Attempting to link biblical events to real world events is just a bit of academic fun.

    Just for background I was raised CoE, went to Church and Sunday School etc...but have no recollection of seeing it as anything more than a collection of stories. When I reached the age of ten my mum asked me if I wanted to carry on going to church and I told her no and I later would identify as an atheist.

    I do however have an interest in secular Buddhist practices. The science on the efficacy of it's practices makes interesting reading but sadly its commercialisation has led to some claims which go far beyond the data.
    Blimey Truk something I can broadly agree with,I can pretty much relate to your early life experience but obviously Christianity's basic tenets are excellent life guides,a lot of stuff was mixed up in religion but was really there to protect people,like jets not eating shellfish and pork Muslims too,great for your health in hot climes .
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    555
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 42 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Blimey Truk something I can broadly agree with,I can pretty much relate to your early life experience but obviously Christianity's basic tenets are excellent life guides,a lot of stuff was mixed up in religion but was really there to protect people,like jets not eating shellfish and pork Muslims too,great for your health in hot climes .
    Hence why as a society we need be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater as we gradually secularise.

    It's very easy to lose social functions that have been provided by religion such as regular community get togethers i.e. Sunday Service.

    As for broadly agreeing with me it's always nice to find some common ground with someone even if we tend to enthusiastically disagree on other topics.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,289
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 147 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by P. de Bierkabouter View Post
    BvL The bible says god is omnipotent, so there you go. Everything is determined by god.
    PdB Omnipotence is the ability to do everything. You could perfectly well be omnipotent and choose to do nothing at all.

    That God's ability to determine everything doesn't prove that "everything is determined by god".
    What I mean is it is top of the hierarchy. God also determined man has free will, but only in so far as god agrees with it. It's like teacher looking at the school playground. You can play whatever games you want, and then if the kids break a window there is trouble. Teacher calls the shots even though teacher does not determine every tiny thing. A lot of evil people can go around thinking they have it all sewn up and are invincible, and then the next day they drop dead with a heart attack. The bible says god provides life. Every living thing is alive by the will of god.
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked."Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    161
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
    No disrespect but... is there any way you can prove there is a God?
    When you see an Apple Tree why be surprised it produces Apples?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,162
    Thanks
    2,186
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 812 Posts
    If we could there would be no need for faith. However we have writings which have come down to us over 1000's of years. Details of prophesies written in them have come true and we ignore them at our peril. Our time on earth is to prove our love and obedience to God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. We have the blueprint quite clearly before us if we are prepared to look at it. We should use this time to understand and grow using Him as our example.

    On thinking about this further - there is a way to prove to yourself that God exists. Ask Him, then keep your heart and mind open to hear and see His proof.
    Last edited by T00ts; 15-09-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

    Can't hold my breath much longer! xx

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,289
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 147 Times in 135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pano View Post
    No disrespect but... is there any way you can prove there is a God?
    Look up Anselm, because he was top-dog in the middle ages, like the Einstein of his time.

    He formulated a proof of god, and I'll give you a link as it will bore most readers on here.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontological_argument

    Just as a bit of trivia, many have attempted to disprove his proof during the time he made the proposition, and of course it was not the kind that he could pass off without severe scrutiny, but oddly the counter proofs proffered were all different!
    ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked."Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
    "How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wtf is this, the mother****ing looney bin of the internet?

    WoW!

    So this is what happens when crazy meets the internet, amirite?

Similar Threads

  1. A quick mention on redefinition.
    By Sheepy in forum Brexit
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-02-2019, 04:42 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26-06-2016, 02:51 PM
  3. Don't mention the war.
    By Robin Goodfellow in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 27-01-2014, 11:53 PM
  4. 'Aliens' & The Bible.
    By Jack Napier in forum Religion, Faith and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 23-10-2010, 02:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •