Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Now whose fixated on WW2?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'd never mention it's who's or who is, not whose.
    Theirs no need to be pedantic about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'd never mention it's who's or who is, not whose.
    The second word is "off", Barry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DeppityDawg For This Useful Post:

Barry (01-09-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P. de Bierkabouter View Post
    What is re- doing in that sentence, and how could tolerance drive politics? We need to acknowledge/accept/tolerate each other's right to pursue our interests through peaceful, civil means, and many (I hope most) of us would prefer to live in a tolerant society, but the 'drivers' in politics are the conflicting interests of individuals and communities.

Sorry to pick up on something that wasn't really the substance of your post, but your 're-' leapt out at me as something bizarre.
    Perhaps you and thomas are correct and, sadly, tolerance was never paramount in politics. But I’d argue it was a quality of successful states like Singapore (which it has been suggested the UK should endeavour to emulate after Brexit) where all minorities are treated equally, and ethnicity, religion, religious belief is no hinderance in daily life. In my view that is one example where tolerance is not only a political driver, but a cornerstone of success. Unfortunately, there is a growing number of examples where intolerance has gained the upper hand.
    Tolerance in politics is not merely a meek acceptance of a majority view, but a recognition that all views have to withstand opposing argument and debate to remain valid or become or stay the majority. Without that, violent and intolerant language can lead to violent actions. So I’d like to see tolerance once more drive UK politics forward...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Perhaps you and thomas are correct and, sadly, tolerance was never paramount in politics. But I’d argue it was a quality of successful states like Singapore (which it has been suggested the UK should endeavour to emulate after Brexit) where all minorities are treated equally, and ethnicity, religion, religious belief is no hinderance in daily life. In my view that is one example where tolerance is not only a political driver, but a cornerstone of success. Unfortunately, there is a growing number of examples where intolerance has gained the upper hand.
    Tolerance in politics is not merely a meek acceptance of a majority view, but a recognition that all views have to withstand opposing argument and debate to remain valid or become or stay the majority. Without that, violent and intolerant language can lead to violent actions. So I’d like to see tolerance once more drive UK politics forward...
    To the above should be added the rider that part of Singapore's success derives from having declared its independence from Malaysia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    To the above should be added the rider that part of Singapore's success derives from having declared its independence from Malaysia.
    ...and becoming a leading member of Asean — a political-security, economic, and socio-cultural community — "one vision, one identity, one community". Seems being a team player can be a road to success...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    ...and becoming a leading member of Asean — a political-security, economic, and socio-cultural community — "one vision, one identity, one community". Seems being a team player can be a road to success...
    Possibly, but I don't see what that has to do with Singapore, which took one look at the Malaysian Federation, decide that they were a bunch of crazy b*st*rds and set up on their own. Since then Singapore has become very rich, albeit somewhat duller and Malaysia ticks over nicely and is becoming ever more bigoted. It is a bit like the EU. The Malaysians fall down before Allah, the EU Commissioners expect europe to do the same to them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Possibly, but I don't see what that has to do with Singapore, which took one look at the Malaysian Federation, decide that they were a bunch of crazy b*st*rds and set up on their own. Since then Singapore has become very rich, albeit somewhat duller and Malaysia ticks over nicely and is becoming ever more bigoted. It is a bit like the EU. The Malaysians fall down before Allah, the EU Commissioners expect europe to do the same to them.
    Malaysia is but one of ten members of Asean, and among the four that has English as an official language — a hangover from colonial times and WWII and other armed struggles, of which several have mixed memories...