Thread: 3 and ahalf million more people registered with a GP than live in the country

Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries

3 and ahalf million more people registered with a GP than live in the country

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48600923

"Doctors get 150 a year for each patient on their list, but records show there were 3.6 million more patients in the system last year than there were people in England."

Looks like BREXIT is having its desired effect then.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Two things come to mind...

1) Government / ONS have no idea how many people are in the country. I heard that 2 good ways of telling was food sales and sewage, and apparently both indicated that we were closer to 70m.

2) The deceased might still be on the register. And after all if they get 150 per patient, why not? As the article says, this and people moving is often the legitimate explanation. But not much incentive to clean the ghost patients off the lists.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Thanks
    I suspect there is a combination of poor record keeping and turning a blind eye to maintain income playing out here.

Doctors surgeries don't have large administrative teams who can review those registered with their practices and confirm they should still be registered.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    I suspect there is a combination of poor record keeping and turning a blind eye to maintain income playing out here.

Doctors surgeries don't have large administrative teams who can review those registered with their practices and confirm they should still be registered.
    We regularly get a letter from an independent agency asking if we still want to be registered with our GP. Usually we seldom visit our surgery though in the past few months we have done
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    We regularly get a letter from an independent agency asking if we still want to be registered with our GP. Usually we seldom visit our surgery though in the past few months we have done
    I've never received such a letter from mine and I think that somewhat evidences inconsistencies between how different doctors surgeries are run.

If you don't reply are you deregistered?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 845 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going off the subject a bit but that is pretty much par for the course when it come to government record keeping. When I was in HMRC we would often get taxpayers ringing up and saying that they would come clean because the government knew everything and I would think, to be honest old cock, until you rang I did not know that you even existed. And I once stood outside a house preparing to serve a Statutory Demand when the hearse pulled up....

3.6 millions is only about 6% of the population, which is really pretty good by the standards of most businesses.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boggart View Post
    Two things come to mind...

1) Government / ONS have no idea how many people are in the country. I heard that 2 good ways of telling was food sales and sewage, and apparently both indicated that we were closer to 70m.

2) The deceased might still be on the register. And after all if they get 150 per patient, why not? As the article says, this and people moving is often the legitimate explanation. But not much incentive to clean the ghost patients off the lists.
    T3SCO also reckoned its sales showed a greater population than official figures — but it was fined — apologies, agreed a 129 million plea bargain — with the Serious Fraud Office for exaggeration....
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Which they admit they actually don't.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    On the brightside if we get it about right,Scotland will stay in the EU a mass influx will occur from the EU and the rest of the UK it will probably treble their population overnight and they will get what the SNP say they want,a bigger population.With any luck it will get the rest of the UK somewhere nearer a sustainable population.
    But then we populists all came down in the last rain shower and wouldn't even have considered it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    T3SCO also reckoned its sales showed a greater population than official figures — but it was fined — apologies, agreed a 129 million plea bargain — with the Serious Fraud Office for exaggeration....
    Ah but it will never happen I hear you say Pat,it already is,so the media say,as the requests for Irish passports is through the roof allegedly.