Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: TV Licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,659
    Thanks
    1,700
    Thanked 925 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    "there has been a non payment of the licence fee protest going on in scotland and northern ireland for decades "


    If this is true why are there not mass prosecutions?
    There have been plenty of instances where viewers could not afford to pay the fee, often single mothers, and who have been fined and sometimes jailed
    No Scots jailed for dodging licence fee as calls for scrapping criminal penalties grow louder


    No Scots were jailed for the offence in more than five years due to legal reforms, while thousands from England and Wales are punished
    A freedom of information request submitted by the Daily Mail revealed that no one in Scotland has been jailed for not having a TV licence for more than five years.

    This is due to a legal reform in Scotland which means people are no longer jailed if they fail to pay a fine of under £500.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc...ow-louder.html

    Normally when the tv licence guys come to the door to check in glasgow , they are told to feck right off. You arent getting in.


    Scots explain why they don't pay BBC licence fee
    Scots are more likely to not pay BBC licence fee than rest of the UK

    NEW research suggests that Scots are more likely to avoid paying a licence fee than citizens from any other UK country.

    Figures published by the House of Commons Library found that around 10% of Scottish households do not pay the BBC fee of £150.50.

    By contrast, the "evasion rate" in England and Wales stands as 6%.

    It is unclear from the report whether or not these figures include just those who should be paying for a licence fee, or whether it encompasses those who do not use any BBC services.
    How licence fee money is spent in Scotland has been a hot topic of debate in recent times. The BBC has been accused of, among other things, failing to accurately reflect the increased powers of the Scottish Parliament in its news coverage.
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...est-of-the-uk/
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5,469
    Thanks
    1,398
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Of course its been politicised , buy my point remains viewing habits and technology are changing fast ,and over time the argument for a tv licence to fund the bbc will become non existant.

    As i earlier said , i think at government level they are now seriously talking with doing away with it and bringing in another tax to replace it.

    .

    Why is that then ?
    I doubt that this is at the top of Boris' to do list, but the Beeb is not beloved by the party faithful, so putting the boot into the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation would not do our blond moppet any harm at all with the grassroots. I doubt that the licence fee will be reduced directly, but any increases could be pegged at less than the rate of inflation so as to allow the BBC to wither on the vine.

    NB. The reason half the above is in capitals is not that I am trying to make a point but that my computer is playing silly buggers.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Borchester For This Useful Post:

    thomas (12-06-2019)

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,659
    Thanks
    1,700
    Thanked 925 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    I doubt that this is at the top of Boris' to do list, but the Beeb is not beloved by the party faithful, so putting the boot into the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation would not do our blond moppet any harm at all with the grassroots. I doubt that the licence fee will be reduced directly, but any increases could be pegged at less than the rate of inflation so as to allow the BBC to wither on the vine.

    NB. The reason half the above is in capitals is not that I am trying to make a point but that my computer is playing silly buggers.
    Aye i think the bbc funding is going to gradually dry up as i said over the next ten years or so in its current form.

    20th century propaganda base trying to find continued relevance in the 21st.
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Of course its been politicised , buy my point remains viewing habits and technology are changing fast ,and over time the argument for a tv licence to fund the bbc will become non existant.

    As i earlier said , i think at government level they are now seriously talking with doing away with it and bringing in another tax to replace it.

    .

    Why is that then ?
    We have a Tory government and we know who holds their leash when it comes to the BBC. There is no reason not to continue with a TV licence to fund the BBC to ensure consistent funding for the content it produces.

    The BBC is not beholden to the commercial and idelogical interests of an owner like private media is. Of late it has been a damp squib when it comes to challenging nonsense but that can be changed.

    It produces plenty of good TV.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,659
    Thanks
    1,700
    Thanked 925 Times in 762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    We have a Tory government and we know who holds their leash when it comes to the BBC. There is no reason not to continue with a TV licence to fund the BBC to ensure consistent funding for the content it produces.

    The BBC is not beholden to the commercial and idelogical interests of an owner like private media is. Of late it has been a damp squib when it comes to challenging nonsense but that can be changed.

    It produces plenty of good TV.
    You arent addressing my point sthough. I would argue for the money that is pumped into it , it doesnt produce good enough programmes.

    Outwith that , its audience is ageing and dying out as i have said.

    When its audience is down to tens of thousands in a multi national state with a population of over 66 million , are you still going to be arguing for the propaganda tax to continue?


    A dying habit: why the average BBC1 viewer is 61
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...1-viewer-is-61









    Younger viewers now watch Netflix more than the BBC, says corporation


    Broadcaster fears being ‘overtaken by competitors’ as technology firms increasingly dominate on-demand viewing
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...more-on-demand

    The bbc is becoming more and more less relevant in the daily lives of the uk population. It is completely out of touch with the younger upcoming generations.


    The rapid generational shift in viewing by younger users is dramatically highlighted when the BBC widens its analysis to include viewers a decade older, in the 16- to 34-year-old range. The corporation said that including this older age group rebalances the survey, bringing overall weekly viewing of BBC1, ITV and Netflix approximately even at about two hours a week.

    The corporation also said that for the first time it had found in the final quarter of last year that 15- to 34-year-olds spent more time listening to streaming music services than all of BBC radio: five hours versus four hours 30 minutes a week.
    Tech and viewing habits will naturally destroy the argument for the retention of the propaganda tax , and the government will shift to something new to replace the millions in lost revenue that is growing every year.

    Its an out of date irrelevance with a reputation to match.
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks
    717
    Thanked 202 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanLuc View Post
    "there has been a non payment of the licence fee protest going on in scotland and northern ireland for decades "


    If this is true why are there not mass prosecutions?
    First need evidence that licence is required.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

    Machiavelli, The Prince

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Country
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts
    I read that Ben Fogle is donating his year's salary to provide licences for the "poor pensioners"
    How many ordinary working people, who fund the BBC, could afford to do this
    An example of why the BBC employees are overpaid
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    West Country
    Posts
    1,817
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 93 Times in 86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scott777 View Post
    First need evidence that licence is required.
    What happened to the detector vans that used to check up?
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

Similar Threads

  1. Never mind the 17.4 million and the 16.1 million . . .
    By Hyperduck Quack Quack in forum Brexit
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 21-05-2019, 07:32 PM
  2. Haulage licences issue
    By beelbeeb in forum Brexit
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: 29-04-2018, 10:51 PM
  3. UK revokes Egypt export licences
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-07-2013, 09:50 PM
  4. Nick Clegg vows to axe bus passes and free TV licences
    By manrow in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •