Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TV Licences: Up to 3.7 million over-75s to pay licence fee

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Up to 3.7 million pensioners who previously received a free TV licence will now have to pay for it.

The BBC will scrap blanket free licences for over-75s, but those households with one person who receives pension credit will still be eligible.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48583487

Will many here be affected...?
    I'm affected by the offensive term, BBC. I gave up brainwashing myself with MSM many years ago. We should all take a leaf out of Tommy Robinson's book. Isn't that right, Cromwell?
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

Thanks
    I find it odd that the BBC is taking the flak for something which is ultimately the responsibility of the government who dumped a £780m bill on the BBC that I understand has increased to over a billion.

Then again local authorities are blamed for cuts to services that arise from central government funding cuts so I shouldn't find this odd at all.

Furthermore privately owned media outlets love jumping on any opportunity to attack the BBC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    I find it odd that the BBC is taking the flak for something which is ultimately the responsibility of the government who dumped a £780m bill on the BBC that I understand has increased to over a billion.

Then again local authorities are blamed for cuts to services that arise from central government funding cuts so I shouldn't find this odd at all.

Furthermore privately owned media outlets love jumping on any opportunity to attack the BBC.

I agree with you in part , we all know that central government loves nothing more than to devolve responsibility while they keep control of the purse strings , but i think you miss the point regarding the bbc.

Whatever its reputation once may have been , its now fast becoming a laughing stock on a par with the north korean broadcasting agency , we in scotland have long called it "pravda" , there has been a non payment of the licence fee protest going on in scotland and northern ireland for decades , and even in england now shows like question time are fast becoming comedy broadcasts no one takes serious.

The point is the bbc is striving for its very relevance and existence now , and i would imagine in less than a generation its going to be very hard for any government to justify a tv licence in its current form to fund the bbc , as its viewer base gradually shrinks over time.

I believe they are talking about some sort of household broadcasting tax similar to germany , as more and more view things online and away from the old style tv.
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thomas For This Useful Post:

Major Sinic (12-06-2019)

Thanks
    Morgan has got a bee in his bonnet about this, he has ignored the fact that the BBC put this proposal out for consultation some weeks ago and this is the conclusion. Morgan is too busy self promoting to have noticed it at the time
    He had gathered a panel of the elderly this morning, two of whom are on pension credit and thus will continue with a free licence, and one who isn't on credit but is happy to pay for the licence. Do you research first, Morgan
    He keeps banging on about BBC salaries, paid by the taxpayer, but fails to reveal what he and Ms Reid are paid. They too are paid indirectly by the viewers as customers who buy the goods that pay for ITV adverts
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

Thanks
    "there has been a non payment of the licence fee protest going on in scotland and northern ireland for decades "

If this is true why are there not mass prosecutions?
    There have been plenty of instances where viewers could not afford to pay the fee, often single mothers, and who have been fined and sometimes jailed
    A Hand Up Not A Hand Out
    Terms and Conditions Apply

Thanks
    I notice BBC radio is frequently announcing that free TV licences are ending for over 75’s. I don’t recall the same amount of exposure being given to the consultation while there was still time to make representations...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

All posts as an ordinary member unless marked mod notice.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,849 Times in 2,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    I notice BBC radio is frequently announcing that free TV licences are ending for over 75’s. I don’t recall the same amount of exposure being given to the consultation while there was still time to make representations...
    Consultation periods are window dressing,a decision is made a time period given for people o speak and it's done any way..
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I agree with you in part , we all know that central government loves nothing more than to devolve responsibility while they keep control of the purse strings , but i think you miss the point regarding the bbc.

Whatever its reputation once may have been , its now fast becoming a laughing stock on a par with the north korean broadcasting agency , we in scotland have long called it "pravda" , there has been a non payment of the licence fee protest going on in scotland and northern ireland for decades , and even in england now shows like question time are fast becoming comedy broadcasts no one takes serious.

The point is the bbc is striving for its very relevance and existence now , and i would imagine in less than a generation its going to be very hard for any government to justify a tv licence in its current form to fund the bbc , as its viewer base gradually shrinks over time.

I believe they are talking about some sort of household broadcasting tax similar to germany , as more and more view things online and away from the old style tv.
    The licence fee has been heavily politicised and in my opinion this has been driven by those who dislike a publicly funded media outlet competing against privately run media outlets.

It's not perfect by any means but I'd rather it existed than not.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Consultation periods are window dressing,a decision is made a time period given for people o speak and it's done any way..
    But there are principles and guidelines for consultations laid down by Govt for government departments (and, by extension, state bodies):

"We will use more digital methods to consult with a wider group of people at an earlier stage in the policy-forming process. We will make it easier for the public to contribute their views, and we will try harder to use clear language and plain English in consultation documents."

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...iples-guidance
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    The licence fee has been heavily politicised and in my opinion this has been driven by those who dislike a publicly funded media outlet competing against privately run media outlets.

It's not perfect by any means but I'd rather it existed than not.
    Of course its been politicised , buy my point remains viewing habits and technology are changing fast ,and over time the argument for a tv licence to fund the bbc will become non existant.

As i earlier said , i think at government level they are now seriously talking with doing away with it and bringing in another tax to replace it.

It's not perfect by any means but I'd rather it existed than not

Why is that then ?
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh