Thread: The Rooney Rule

Thanks

The Rooney Rule

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...om-next-season

Have to say that I am anti this. If BAME managers are good enough they will get to the top. As it is, clubs have absolutely no problem giving employment to BAME people. Doing a quick search, on the opening day of the 2017/18 Premier League (and yes conflating this with EFL), 33% of players were BAME.

You get articles like this stating an "indisputable truth" - https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a8379111.html - but it doesn't actually touch on how many BAME people go for coaching roles/qualifications and then on to management. That's the really pertinent question. Owners do not care what the colour of the person is, so long as they are good at their job. And look at some BAME countries - they're more than happy to have whitey manage their national sides. For example, just one of many/most - Nigeria have Gernot Rohr

But to answer that earlier question, I did a quick search and came up with this: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hite-male.html and I am going to make a presumption that this is still the same now. BAME people don't go for their licences, so cannot get the jobs. But oh no, that's obviously not the issue, the issue is the racist club owners!! And it is quite ridiculous the brouhaha that is created when a BAME manager is sacked. Frankly if you are going to be called a racist when you sack your BAME manager, why employ them in the first place? You don't get praised for employing them. It was interesting though, I was listening to the sycophantic and pious Jim White on talkSport and he interviewed the ex-manager of WBA who was black. He got a bit of a shock to the reply about skin colour, as he was expecting to get how unfair and loaded against BAME it all was. Instead he got, "The beautiful part of football is that everyone has their opinion and people have drawn their conclusions, but all I can say is that Ive not changed from the person who was given the role."

So there is no complaint about BAME employment as players, but is when it comes to management which I find a little inconsistent. I look to "my" club of Southampton, and our U23 coach is black, so while not the top job (a white Austrian has that) it is one of the most important at the club as it is his job to develop and prepare for the 1st team. But oh no, that's not counted as being relevant to this discussion.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,499 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bloody typical. Sod that they've got no aptitude, the skin colour guarantees an interview

Why is it called the Rooney rule. Is that Diane Flabbotts middle name.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Positive discrimination [sic] at work.

As for Rooney, wiki states...

The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee

.... so. The diversity committee at play!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by boggart View Post
    Positive discrimination [sic] at work.

As for Rooney, wiki states...

The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee

.... so. The diversity committee at play!!
    And there was I thinking it was Mickey. Silly me
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    And there was I thinking it was Mickey. Silly me
    And yeah, as stated in the opening post, who give a flying one what colour they are, or into what variety of consenting adult they stick their gangly bits. The key issue is can they, or can they not, get the people they coach to score goals / tries / runs / whatever.
    --

Thanks
    JoG, the other key point is that to become a manager you need to have complete UEFA licences. https://www.thepfa.com/coaching/courses/qualifications As pointed out, one of the reasons BAME candidates aren't getting jobs is that they aren't going for the licences. Are the powers that be going to insist a BAME candidate is interviewed even if they don't have the relevant licence??

And looking at Chris Houghton, who Brighton sacked at the end of the season. He was the last BAME to lose his job, a job that managers lose with remarkable consistency. The average is something like 15 months. But let's face it, Brighton very very nearly got relegated, and he was sacked because he did a **** job. Why should he keep his job, or be excused for doing so badly, just because of skin colour? No one seemed to complain when we (Southampton) sacked boyo Mark Hughes for being terrible.

Thanks
    Rooney rhymes with looney.

I often wonder if these people are picked for their names. After all, it is just showbiz.