Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: US companies reeling under Trump's Huawei ban

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    Baron, China is under a dictatorship, well actually, an oligarchy. But it's all the same to the average Chinese citizen. And the Chinese government would have NO PROBLEM watching Britain or any other nation adopt their system and eliminate democracy and message boards such as this. It sounds like the Chinese government has your support.
    Well the thing is the Chinese have a rather antiquated view of the British. They read their history books and it is full of wonderful British discoveries and inventions, and they just love that. I'm sure they think our politicians are a joke. They certainly are, so I'm with them on that. However they are not ideologues like your Marxist scholar would be. They are both traditional and modern at the same time. Chinese traditional customs are popular and have not been swept away by political correctness as our own have been, so there is an understanding there. With the modern side of China many companies are young firms, started by young and enthusiastic technologists. They are not into politics in the least. Here is where we come in though. In our country we have a small percentage of total geniuses. They are far cleverer than anyone else and most of those aboard as well. These people in the past discovered DNA, invented the jet engine, the computer and so on. Today they are shrugged off by society as being misfits. Put to work in the right way and I believe the union of Chinese enthusiasm, readiness with investment cash, high respect for intelligence would be extremely fertile ground for new invention. With this new invention we will make a fortune. Take as an example the blue LED. Have you any idea how much that one single invention is worth in total? It's this sort of thing which drives economies, and both we and the Chinese could cut a fair deal. Out of this invention would come new industries.
    Who cares where you were wot night
    Now we have you under this light

Thanks
    Baron, do you prefer the Chinese system to western democracies?

Thanks
    I can't speak for all Western democracies, but this country in particular has gone the furthest to the left that I have ever known. China is going the other way. I know they have certain funny rules in the country, but don't we all. There's nothing heavy-handed about it. I've studied North Korea for a bit as well, and that is very different, as in the people are as if they were members of a cult, and act all weird, like they have been brainwashed.

I give you my honest opinion here, and that is the British are far more brainwashed than the Chinese I deal with. They are very polite, very respectful, very efficient, very open to give and take in negotiations, not ones for excessive rules and bureaucracy. So me personally, I could work with them all day long, no problem. It's this damn country. The jobs are repressive. The management is thick and manipulating. So aside from all of the theory of what communism is supposed to be, China is a mostly hands-off kind of society. They don't have intellectual property law, the rules I understand are much simpler and less of them, and they don't even enforce the rules all of the time. The main things are you don't set up any organisation that challenges the power of the state, and you don't do anything which will bring China into disrepute, much like it is on a British employment contract in fact. Do not do anything that brings the company into disrepute!

Edit

Just to give you an example of what is commonplace, this is a typical small Chinese electronics company.

https://www.analoglamb.com/

You do get the vibe they are going places. It's far more open than a Western pretentious counterpart, where everything is POA.
    Who cares where you were wot night
    Now we have you under this light

Thanks
    I rather suspect that the main US concern with anyone buying Huawei systems, is not the ability of the Chinese to use it to spy, but the denial of opportunity to the US, through otherwise US supplied systems.

Thanks
    Here I take the opportunity to express my opinion, which I think, is shared by most people. Democracy may look very good to a lot of people, but its image has been utterly tarnished by the election of a scandal-hit US President whom US Senator Marco Rubio has labelled as a conman. Putin could be rolling on the ground with laughter at America's election outcome in 2016 even if he had nothing to do with it.

As for the majority of people, I think they prefer neither the Chinese system nor western democracies, but Shangri-La or God's Paradise on earth, if there is such a place.