Thread: Labour's energy plan 'last thing' National Grid needs

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Labour's energy plan 'last thing' National Grid needs

The BBC reports The firm behind the UK's energy networks says the party's plans would delay the switch to green energy.

More...

Thanks
    I hope it stops the nonsense of browbeating people into smart meters which either don't work or prevent people from switching suppliers.
    There is a near revolution in France about smart meters, (LINKY,) yet next to no comment in the British media about the disaster that they are and they don't save money either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I'm sure that the Labour mathematicians and scientists have been on this.
    They will have considered that one million homes in the UK will need photo-voltaic cells built onto their roofs to provide around 3kW per home.
    These will provide an extra 3 million kW (3GW) a 50% increase on what is currently available in the UK when the sun is shining directly on the panels at 90 degrees to them

​I am sure they will also have considered the roofs in question will need to face South or South West. Obviously, most roofs have 2 aspects, one side gets less sun than the other. Only the good side is usually worth using.

Then they will have considered the effect of latitude, so Southern England is best for locating the cells. However, Southern England is actually the richer part of the country.

The installations, which I am assuming Labour have costed are at a cost of around £6000 per house, so that will be a one off cost of £6 billion.
    It will need repeating in 10 years because the solar cell efficiency is likely to have dropped to below 50%.

I've considered solar panels on my house and they might return the investment after 18 years. Of course, at night and in the winter they provide very little input.

As an idea to provide more power into the grid, it is not too bad, as it is only one third of the cost of building a nuclear power plant like the EDF one at Hinckley Point (£20 billion) and would provide about the same amount of electricity, but only when the sun is shining. So as daylight is only 50% of the time and it's raining a lot of the time in the UK, I'd probably go for the nuclear power option which is carbon free, and reliable 24 hours a day.
    They took your country from you, now they've taken your democracy too.
    And "they" are the elites, those who hate the culture of the people, the values of the people, the democracy of the people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    I hope it stops the nonsense of browbeating people into smart meters which either don't work or prevent people from switching suppliers.
    There is a near revolution in France about smart meters, (LINKY,) yet next to no comment in the British media about the disaster that they are and they don't save money either.
    I had a smart meter put in and to be honest haven't noticed any problem . The Mrs likes the app on her phone that controls the heating though I don't bother with those gismos myself . The French as we all know will have a revolution about anything so I wouldn't take too much notice there .
    I am in favour of returning utilities to public ownership though cant see how the country could afford to buy it back . I t would maybe have to be a gradual process over many years of buying up the shares to gain control

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    I had a smart meter put in and to be honest haven't noticed any problem .
    You have been lucky. (Seriously) There are massive problems yet not a comment at on broadcast media. (The Torygraph did do a recent article about 2 million smart meters not working and people not being able to switch suppliers and a government select committee came to the conclusion the meters are not saving people money. (there was very little reporting of that either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 869 Posts
    You have been lucky. (Seriously) There are massive problems yet not a comment at on broadcast media. (The Torygraph did do a recent article about 2 million smart meters not working and people not being able to switch suppliers and a government select committee came to the conclusion the meters are not saving people money. (there was very little reporting of that either.
    I don't see how anyone can stop you switching supplier . The only thing that I have been told is that if you do switch supplier then the smart meter may not be compatible with the new supplier .
    With people continually moving to get the best deals maybe this is the reason that the meters now don't work ? I don't know just asking but as I say I have never had a problem ,then again I haven't moved since it was installed 3 years ago .

Thanks
    I don't see how anyone can stop you switching supplier ..
    The "Smart" meters won't let people swap suppliers. (It is becoming a big problem.)

More at link:-

https://utilityweek.co.uk/half-smart...ues-switching/

Research commissioned by consumer group Which? has found more than half of people are having issues with interoperability with their smart meter when they switch supplier.
    Almost six in ten (58 per cent) of those surveyed said either their smart meter, their in-home display, or both stopped working when they switched provider.

Thanks
    Reports of issues with first generation smart meters have been regularly aired in the media for well over a year. The next generation does work when suppliers are switched — that is to say the first generation of smart meters doesn’t stop subscribers from switching. But the subscriber is unlikely to be able to utilise the “smart” information to monitor and control their energy use if the supplier is changed. Nor will the new supplier be able to get billing information remotely to bill subscribers.
    Then of course as there’s the MMR type waffle over health issues, I’m surprised suppliers aren’t supplying user families with protective tinfoil blankets. All seems a bit of a buggers’ muddle...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't see how anyone can stop you switching supplier . The only thing that I have been told is that if you do switch supplier then the smart meter may not be compatible with the new supplier .
    With people continually moving to get the best deals maybe this is the reason that the meters now don't work ? I don't know just asking but as I say I have never had a problem ,then again I haven't moved since it was installed 3 years ago .
    ^ this

As Streetwalker says, the only problem with having a smart meter is that if you switch supplier, your new supplier may not necessarily be able to interface to it. A fact every one of the suppliers I contacted when I switched two months ago was up front in saying as part of the opening spiel. I don't have one, and I won't have one, but to go into why here is just too bloody long and complex.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Reports of issues with first generation smart meters have been regularly aired in the media for well over a year. The next generation does work when suppliers are switched — that is to say the first generation of smart meters doesn’t stop subscribers from switching. But the subscriber is unlikely to be able to utilise the “smart” information to monitor and control their energy use if the supplier is changed. Nor will the new supplier be able to get billing information remotely to bill subscribers.
    Then of course as there’s the MMR type waffle over health issues, I’m surprised suppliers aren’t supplying user families with protective tinfoil blankets. All seems a bit of a buggers’ muddle...

Given what Smart meters need to work, on would not work where I live anyway and when press after my expressing to the electricity supplier that they will fit a Smart meter to my home over my dead body because of the known problems that frankly are NOT being aired in the British media, the supplier had to admit a smart meter would not work where I live anyway.
    The French Investigative TV presenter Elise Lucet has done several long programs about "Linky," meters and it is a disgrace the UK media/press is being so reticent about it.