Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is there a smell of fear and desperation in the air?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Is there a smell of fear and desperation in the air? .
    I'm not sure.

i think we have reached end game, not sure if its fear and desperation or the long awaited end of a commando raid which never had much chance.

The conservatives hatched a plan to end up revoking article 50 notice. It was supposed to happen just before the two years were up, but the EU spolit that by granting an extension. And the Uk asked for an extension because parliament forced the government's hand.

The government set up the circumstances which would force it to revoke. Its own MPs voted against it so there was deadlock. The negotiated deal might be the best possible, but it was guaranteed to upset an awful lot of leave, remain and MPs. No deal can't happen because there are no preparations which would be needed to prevent utter chaos. There was never any chance of a negotiated deal which MPs would accept, so it was never going to pass.

At the last moment the government planned to revoke with the excuse that time had run out and they needed more time to find a better way to brexit. Well now time has not run out, but instead they plan to bring the withdrawal bill to parliament and see what happens. If it gets rejected yet again they will say there is no way to proceed with brexit at this time, so for now they have to revoke. It was always May's task to do this, so she would take at least some of the blame off the party as she goes into retirement on whatever a PM gets as a pension.

As to the Brexit party, what are they going to do? There will not be a general election until 2022. By then there will be some sort of discussion group seeking a brexit plan. Tories will stand at the election on wanting to leave, but it simply is not possible to do this without a deal. They will seek to make preparations. They might change tack and argue we are better off staying, at least for a few years. They will make noises about reforming the EU from within. And in fact the EU migth agree to more restrictions on freedom of movement, because others are thinking that way too.

By then probably a few more Brexit party people will have suffered embarassing accidents, discrediting that party as much as UKIP. Already there seems to be a scandal brewing about donations tothe party.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    What with Bliars intervention and the desperation to cobble a deal together,any deal will do,is the realisation that the emperors new clothes that is Westminster has been seen through its bubble about to burst.......I sincerely hope so.
    It's not panic but rather incredulity that so many people have been taken in by charlatans like Farage and still believe that Brexit is anything but a self-destructive course of action.

At this point I'm resigned to the fact that a sizeable portion of the UK lack the wit to see they're being led down the garden path.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    At this point I'm resigned to the fact that a sizeable portion of the UK lack the wit to see they're being led down the garden path.
    By a remain parliament,still don't worry elections await,those with the wit on the leave side have memory enough to exact retribution on those who've dragged their feet.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cromwell For This Useful Post:

Borchester (17-05-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukhari View Post
    Looks like a very nice garden.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scott777 For This Useful Post:

Borchester (17-05-2019), T00ts (15-05-2019)

Thanks
    Is there a smell of fear and desperation in the air?

Nope, that'll be the clinging stench of Parfum de Novichok.

'Respectski the voteski.'

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    Is there a smell of fear and desperation in the air?

Nope, that'll be the clinging stench of Parfum de Novichok.

'Respectski the voteski.'
    Sounds a bit racial.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheepy For This Useful Post:

Borchester (16-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    I think they used up everything they've got on him (which wasn't a lot ) during the referendum .
    They have not used his admission of misuse if EU funds as confessed to the BBC in 2009/10. I recorded the radio programme and have the audio on three web servers globally.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    They have not used his admission of misuse if EU funds as confessed to the BBC in 2009/10. I recorded the radio programme and have the audio on three web servers globally.
    I thought that one had been put to bed . He had his pay docked if I recall for using EU funds to finance domestic UKIP business .His argument was always that as UKIP was a party formed to remove us from the EU any UKIP business fell under the allowable EU business section .
    As I say though all water under the bridge ,they would be getting really desperate to drag that one up again

Thanks
    To go back to the OP I imagine that the desperation has resulted in many running around like headless chickens. Government seems to have ceased. Presumably our largely pro-EU Civil Service are beavering away keeping us on the EU rails, but the rest of Westminster has lost it completely.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

Thanks
    In some ways there isn't enough concern.

We have a 6 month extension and nothing is happening other than cross party talks breaking down and May bringing her plan back for another vote.

It seems everybody has run out of ideas and is waiting for the EU to tell us to **** off and die.