Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Commons Speaker: Has race to succeed John Bercow begun?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,255
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 443 Times in 385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Will that be a section added that says "a speaker may connive with any honourable? member in order to thwart the largest democratic excercise the UK has ever seen?"

    The rules are the rules Bercow only enforced them which is the Speakers job.
    Having had to in the past got a covenant removed which cost 4000 for the House of Lords to do it, I wish I had had easy access to Erskine May and historical precedent back in 1964.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,963
    Thanks
    1,099
    Thanked 887 Times in 724 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Will that be a section added that says "a speaker may connive with any honourable? member in order to thwart the largest democratic excercise the UK has ever seen?"
    I must be missing something. Mrs May tried the old EU trick of reintroducing the same piece of legislation three times in the same same parliamentary session in the hope that she could wear down her opponents. Where did Bercow go wrong when he told her to take her proposed bill and put it somewhere out of sight?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1,219
    Thanked 706 Times in 502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    I must be missing something. Mrs May tried the old EU trick of reintroducing the same piece of legislation three times in the same same parliamentary session in the hope that she could wear down her opponents. Where did Bercow go wrong when he told her to take her proposed bill and put it somewhere out of sight?
    I understood that it was allowed here. Then some bright spark remainer looked it up and found the precedent. It doesn't alter that he has several times run a coach and horses through convention against advice. I think he said something like if we never change then it will always be the same. Through his actions of late he has removed the power of the executive and see what that has created. I'm not sure this creates a good precedent but he is playing on the minority numbers to Remain advantage. He is supposed to be impartial. Like heck he is!
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

    cassie (17-04-2019), cromwell (17-04-2019)

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,963
    Thanks
    1,099
    Thanked 887 Times in 724 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    I understood that it was allowed here. Then some bright spark remainer looked it up and found the precedent. It doesn't alter that he has several times run a coach and horses through convention against advice. I think he said something like if we never change then it will always be the same. Through his actions of late he has removed the power of the executive and see what that has created. I'm not sure this creates a good precedent but he is playing on the minority numbers to Remain advantage. He is supposed to be impartial. Like heck he is!
    Once again I appear to be missing something. Mrs May's withdrawal bill would have given EU law precedence over that of the UK. I don't see how opposing that is helping the Remainers.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1,219
    Thanked 706 Times in 502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Once again I appear to be missing something. Mrs May's withdrawal bill would have given EU law precedence over that of the UK. I don't see how opposing that is helping the Remainers.
    Oh yes I absolutely agree it would, but the remain view is that it would be a form of leaving and they are dead set on the status quo. The remainers are, in my view playing for as much time as possible in the belief that if they tell us often enough that leavers are changing their minds in droves the rest of us will end up believing it.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

Similar Threads

  1. John Bercow
    By Rei in forum Brexit
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 28-03-2019, 08:57 AM
  2. Brexit: Conservative MPs' anger at Speaker John Bercow ruling
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 13-01-2019, 03:57 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-10-2018, 08:22 PM
  4. Speaker Bercow: Trump should not speak in Parliament
    By lankou in forum Political News
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 13-02-2017, 11:33 AM
  5. Donald Trump visit: Speaker Bercow faces no-confidence bid
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •