Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Commons Speaker: Has race to succeed John Bercow begun?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Will that be a section added that says "a speaker may connive with any honourable? member in order to thwart the largest democratic excercise the UK has ever seen?"

The rules are the rules Bercow only enforced them which is the Speakers job.
    Having had to in the past got a covenant removed which cost 4000 for the House of Lords to do it, I wish I had had easy access to Erskine May and historical precedent back in 1964.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Will that be a section added that says "a speaker may connive with any honourable? member in order to thwart the largest democratic excercise the UK has ever seen?"
    I must be missing something. Mrs May tried the old EU trick of reintroducing the same piece of legislation three times in the same same parliamentary session in the hope that she could wear down her opponents. Where did Bercow go wrong when he told her to take her proposed bill and put it somewhere out of sight?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    I must be missing something. Mrs May tried the old EU trick of reintroducing the same piece of legislation three times in the same same parliamentary session in the hope that she could wear down her opponents. Where did Bercow go wrong when he told her to take her proposed bill and put it somewhere out of sight?
    I understood that it was allowed here. Then some bright spark remainer looked it up and found the precedent. It doesn't alter that he has several times run a coach and horses through convention against advice. I think he said something like if we never change then it will always be the same. Through his actions of late he has removed the power of the executive and see what that has created. I'm not sure this creates a good precedent but he is playing on the minority numbers to Remain advantage. He is supposed to be impartial. Like heck he is!
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

cassie (17-04-2019), cromwell (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    I understood that it was allowed here. Then some bright spark remainer looked it up and found the precedent. It doesn't alter that he has several times run a coach and horses through convention against advice. I think he said something like if we never change then it will always be the same. Through his actions of late he has removed the power of the executive and see what that has created. I'm not sure this creates a good precedent but he is playing on the minority numbers to Remain advantage. He is supposed to be impartial. Like heck he is!
    Once again I appear to be missing something. Mrs May's withdrawal bill would have given EU law precedence over that of the UK. I don't see how opposing that is helping the Remainers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Once again I appear to be missing something. Mrs May's withdrawal bill would have given EU law precedence over that of the UK. I don't see how opposing that is helping the Remainers.
    Oh yes I absolutely agree it would, but the remain view is that it would be a form of leaving and they are dead set on the status quo. The remainers are, in my view playing for as much time as possible in the belief that if they tell us often enough that leavers are changing their minds in droves the rest of us will end up believing it.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx