Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: How are you guys holding up?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Findeton View Post
    Of course as I'd prefer the UK to remain, I see Brexit supporter arguments as a lot of bullshit.

However, I have to say that the level of sleaziness, outright lying and deceiving I'm observing in the English politicians is through the roof. And at the same time, I predict that won't change with a GE. Actually I'd say that as the number of General Elections after the referendum increases, the probability of Brexit happening diminishes. Politicians are trying to distance themselves from what they are doing, and the final action from the referendum.

Soon, the referendum will have happened 2,3,4 General Elections ago. Politicians will say it's an inherited problem from a previous generation of people and politicians. I mean, it has already happened to a certain point, the first relevant thing that happened after the referendum was David Cameron resigned. May will be out soon, but by the time the next one after May goes as well, they'll say with a straight face it's an inherited problem.
    Yes, its almost as bad as the level of BS I heard from the ones in Brussels when I worked there, and that was before they had five presidents ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnofgwent For This Useful Post:

Barry (17-04-2019), cassie (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Yes, its almost as bad as the level of BS I heard from the ones in Brussels when I worked there, and that was before they had five presidents ...
    The EU is a bureaucrats' Utopia. Loadsa money for no productive work, and zero accountability when they **** up on what little work they have to do. In other words, they're society's parasites.
    There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

‘The longer the truth remains untold, the deeper it gets buried.’

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cerberus For This Useful Post:

scott777 (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    One thing you have got right is that I did mention ‘ frictionless trade, air traffic, no border on Ireland etc.’
    All of those things you mention require some form of agreement(s) with the EU.

There will be a trade off between the things you want (eg frictionless trade) and the things you might not want (common tariffs, ECJ oversight etc).

The WA is the beginning of negotiations, not the end point.

With the exception of the hardest of hard brexits, *every single* possible future relationship starts with the WA.

You're strategy for getting how the UK can get all the things it wants with none of the obligations it doesn't is based purely on the proven wrong "German car makers will save us" argument or a variant thereof.

The German car makers, French Cheese producers, Spanish Hoteliers have all said that the integrity of the single market is more important to them than frictionless access to the UK market.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    The German car makers, French Cheese producers, Spanish Hoteliers have all said that the integrity of the single market is more important to them than frictionless access to the UK market.
    Yes Barnier told them to keep that front up, and it seems to be holding.
    In a few years they will have the hindsight to know if it was wisdom to do so. So will we, if we just leave and stop the whining.
    New Brexit party seems OK

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In a few years they will have the hindsight to know if it was wisdom to do so. So will we, if we just leave and stop the whining.
    If Barnier pulls this off he'll be the next president of the EU for sure. In fact he'll probably be beatified too. lol
    There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

‘The longer the truth remains untold, the deeper it gets buried.’

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    They are not being told to do so, they have looked at the economics and realised they buy and sell more to the EU26 than they do to the UK.

We are past the original deadline and *still* they haven't ridden to our rescue.

If they are coming they've left it pretty late.

Alternatively, they're not coming and never were.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,758 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    They are not being told to do so, they have looked at the economics and realised they buy and sell more to the EU26 than they do to the UK.

We are past the original deadline and *still* they haven't ridden to our rescue.

If they are coming they've left it pretty late.

Alternatively, they're not coming and never were.
    I don't want anyone to come to our "rescue". We don't need rescuing. We just need to leave. How many times?
    New Brexit party seems OK