Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Being sent to prison for none payment of council tax is unlawful .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    Well you keep answering your own problem go and sort it out now then.
    I tried before sorting it out with the council , they were intentionally useless in my opinion so they can take you court . I think they randomly pick people to do this too , they can see on computer you get benefit etc .
    Both the council and bailiffs have hung up on me before when you mention facts etc. They aren't bothered they think they can make their own laws up .

Tv licence guy tried to do me once because I hadn't paid for the following years licence fee . Hilarious scams , they do it all the time , take somebody court for not paying the next years licence by payment scheme . Doing you while you are covered by a tv license . Exactly what they do with council tax too , take you court for a future that may or may not exist for you .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawfully View Post
    I tried before sorting it out with the council , they were intentionally useless in my opinion so they can take you court . I think they randomly pick people to do this too , they can see on computer you get benefit etc .
    So what didn't they do when you were trying to sort it?
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    So what didn't they do when you were trying to sort it?
    They didn't consider the obvious that if I'm having rent benefit I would obviously be getting council tax benefit , additionally they didn't consider that Universal credit takes time to set up etc . Universal credits actually cancelled my claim on me , their error . This was explained to the council and my claim was reopened by the DWP , they don't do enough homework or use their brains . Automated summons off the systems causing to much upset .
    In reality the dwp should just pay slightly less (although its crap anyway) to cover council tax , people on benefits would not be going court then for council tax evasion although errors are mostly the council end ,

It's not easy on benefits , I get ~50 a week at the moment because of stoppages for money I had up front to pay a months rent , council tax wanted about 30 a month out of that , I had to give my flat up , couldn't afford survive .

The exact would be 6.87 a day for a 31 day month at the moment . Minus ~1 a day for council tax , 5.87 per day , minus at least one dwp visit , 4.50 on bus 10 if taxi . Then of course take of the rent top up of about 40 I had to pay .

Not very much left to live on ...if I still had my flat , I'd have approx. 4 a day to live on . food , electric , gas , clothes , all for 4 a day .

A politicians star bucks cost more than that …

So who decides how much a politician gets paid ?

I have a feeling it's themselves....

Who decides the PM is worth ~
    403 a day plus expenses

https://fullfact.org/law/how-much-does-prime-minister-get-paid/

Your jobs are easy , why ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ok, it's official and the DWP are paying me the same for 31 days as 28 days .

Febuary the 22nd - March 22nd 7.60 per day 213 payment

March 22nd - April 22nd 6.87 per day 213 payment

It may seem petty to you , but almost a pound a day difference is a big deal when on benefits .

I'm starting to think they are very incompetent or more crooked than crooks .

The same shortfall must also be on child tax credits as well as personal allowance , oh dear , what a mess.

added - Oh my word , the ex's has gone down this month , less money for more days . Haven't even been paid yet and looks like trying to borrow for next month .

Just read hers , they stopping 50 now for water but paid her short anyway of 3 days , kids money and her money .

150 on hers in stoppages , I understand what the word con servative means now .

Thanks
    As you claim it is your ex's debt maybe you should just duck out and let her carry the can apparently judges hand out lesser sentences to women...
    If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy DD. The poster also reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    As you claim it is your ex's debt maybe you should just duck out and let her carry the can — apparently judges hand out lesser sentences to women...

Any self respecting judge with morals shouldn't even be sentencing over council tax , it is unlawful and any judge sentencing anyone for council tax is automatically a part of the extorsion . The government is a bunch of blackmailers it seems , I get it now , it really is us and them .It's quite ironic it is liking to medieval Britain , stocks and throwing tomatoes next .

What do you call a country that sends poor people jail whom aren't criminals ?

One in slavery ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I found this link interesting , no criminal record if you get sent jail for council tax says it all .

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/news/council-tax-debts-soar-40percent-in-six-years/ar-BBVT6rw?ocid=spartanntp

You're sending people jail whom aren't committing crimes , maybe even forcing some people to commit crime so they can pay .

Obviously it is morally wrong and unlawfully wrong .

I suppose MPs never have this worry as they pay themselves well enough too afford it .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,251 Posts
    it would perhaps be better if funding for councils came from national government and through higher income tax or other taxes, so that it was based on an ability to pay.
    No one who is too poor to live should have to pay taxes they cannot afford and the use of a prison sentence in England is pointless in most cases.
    I can see why it should be used for wilful avoidance by those who plainly can afford to pay.
    New Brexit party seems OK

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    it would perhaps be better if funding for councils came from national government and through higher income tax or other taxes, so that it was based on an ability to pay.
    No one who is too poor to live should have to pay taxes they cannot afford and the use of a prison sentence in England is pointless in most cases.
    I can see why it should be used for wilful avoidance by those who plainly can afford to pay.
    I agree , there is surely a better lawful system than this . I couldn't imagine in general people want to see other people going to jail over money matters . People who can't afford don't avoid it intentionally , they just can't afford and /or the system messes it up .

Perhaps for those who can afford who willfully avoid it , a best suited policy , may be to incur some community service work such as litter picking , this giving them the realisation of why a council tax is needed . I do understand that civil services have to be paid for , bin men , the police etc need their wages like the next person does . However it is cruel to expect somebody who is poor , to pay something they simply can't afford , it is obviously even phycological trauma with the threats of jail if they don't pay .
    The working population need to understand they are lucky to have a job , there isn't enough jobs for everyone and/or suited jobs .

A prison sentence costs us more than a person probably owes in council tax , that is one reason it is pointless , not very thoughtful consideration at all .

Checked some stats , roughly 40k a year to keep a prisoner so based on that
    769.23 a week .