Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Would Britain vote a black person into number 10?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    707
    Thanks
    76
    Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    In your opinion.
    Whose else's would she be giving? lol
    There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

    The longer the truth remains untold, the deeper it gets buried.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,745
    Thanks
    1,886
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,251 Posts
    Does Gina Miller count?
    I'd vote for her to be PM, just to see how long she lasted.
    I wouldn't vote for a Muslim PM, regardless of skin colour.
    Skin colour is not a relevant factor in my decision, capabilities and loyalty to Britain are.
    New Brexit party seems OK

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1,219
    Thanked 706 Times in 502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    In your opinion.
    Actually no. It was my home town at the time and we knew from the talk what was happening. It was an orchestrated plan and it delivered.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,262
    Thanks
    355
    Thanked 443 Times in 385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    Actually no. It was my home town at the time and we knew from the talk what was happening. It was an orchestrated plan and it delivered.
    You will know the furore him being "parachuted" in by John Major caused with the local Conservative Association then, they were most unhappy.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,336
    Thanks
    406
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 968 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Does Gina Miller count?
    I'd vote for her to be PM, just to see how long she lasted.
    I wouldn't vote for a Muslim PM, regardless of skin colour.
    Skin colour is not a relevant factor in my decision, capabilities and loyalty to Britain are.
    That's Corbyn fecked then.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeppityDawg For This Useful Post:

    cassie (16-04-2019), johnofgwent (15-04-2019), Major Sinic (15-04-2019)

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,894
    Thanks
    1,219
    Thanked 706 Times in 502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    You will know the furore him being "parachuted" in by John Major caused with the local Conservative Association then, they were most unhappy.
    Indeed. Cheltenham had had a local man as MP (Charles Irving) for decades and this did not go down well, but there was a majority to get rid of Conservative representation and regular Labour voters took the gamble as the lesser of the evils. It was a long time until Conservatives regained the seat. The complaint at the time was that after so long with a local an outsider wasn't going to cut it. They were right.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,631
    Thanks
    1,694
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Would Britain vote a black person into number 10? (A serious question.)
    Then you deserve a serious answer.

    This is not the United States and we do not elect a president.

    We elect MPs to constituencies and by convention the leader of the largest political party is invited to the palace.

    But you know this.

    If you are asking whether a black man could make it to be leader of a political party likely to have a largest number of seats, I suspect the answer is yes and it will have absolutely f**k all to do with a lack of need to work on a suntan.

    But did you have someone in mind ?

    And how black ?

    I doubt Chukka Towelin would get there and neither would Lammy or Diane Abbott and this is nothing to do with their colour

    In all seriousness, given the utter shite that has been handed the keys to number ten in my voting life, tell me how being black on its own could possibly make it worse...

    Edit: this can't be about the same man, can it ??

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/...heltenham.html
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,631
    Thanks
    1,694
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,085 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Ok

    Something went screwy there

    I went to edit my post to add a link I thought possibly germane and the system created a second post.

    Is there a Mod in the house who might do a little snipping

    Please ?
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    4,965
    Thanks
    1,104
    Thanked 887 Times in 724 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post

    If you are asking whether a black man could make it to be leader of a political party likely to have a largest number of seats, I suspect the answer is yes and it will have absolutely f**k all to do with a lack of need to work on a suntan.

    But did you have someone in mind ?

    And how black ?

    I doubt Chukka Towelin would get there and neither would Lammy or Diane Abbott and this is nothing to do with their colour

    In all seriousness, given the utter shite that has been handed the keys to number ten in my voting life, tell me how being black on its own could possibly make it worse...
    I reckon that Umunna is too diffident and Abbott too crazy to make it to number 10. But I would not be surprised if Lammy got close. And I can't see colour worrying the electorate. Politicians are lot dimmer than voters. The former worry about spin, the latter just concentrate on results.

    And the Conservatives have Priti Patel, who is not black but a sort of Maggie Thatcher with a suntan. Her first action as Tory PM would probably be to bite Wurzel's balls off.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Borchester For This Useful Post:

    johnofgwent (15-04-2019)

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 308 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post

    And how black ?

    Would Sajid be black enough?

Similar Threads

  1. Gina Miller named UKs most influential black person
    By Patman Post in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-11-2017, 04:19 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 11:50 PM
  3. Ed Balls refuses six times to apologise for Britain's economic black hole
    By They've lost the plot.... in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 23-12-2013, 04:26 PM
  4. Britain abstains in UN Palestine VOTE
    By Zundap in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
  5. Want to vote? N.I. number and D.O.B. then please!
    By Barry in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14-07-2011, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •