Thread: Could ERG push No-Deal Brexit if May resigned?

Thanks

Could ERG push No-Deal Brexit if May resigned?

Hello

First time poster, so be gentle.

One question has been plaguing me. I can't quite understand the ERG strategy for getting rid of Theresa May as the resolution to the problem.

If I understand correctly, there is a majority in the commons for a softer style Brexit (or at least a significant majority that oppose no-deal Brexit). If this is the case, why do the ERG believe they can force through No-Deal Brexit with May gone?

I would understand the strategy if there was a way for them to push no-deal through without requiring the commons vote, but didn't the latest vote in the commons legally prohibit the government from leaving the UK without a deal?

if my understanding is correct, it rather feels that there is a bit of self-indulgence going on within the ERG without much pragmatism.

Would be good to hear the thoughts of those more learned than I...!

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by Christop; 11-04-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Christop View Post
    Hello

One question has been plaguing me. I can't quite understand the ERG strategy for getting rid of Theresa May as the resolution to the problem.

If I understand correctly, there is a majority in the commons for a softer style Brexit (or at least a significant majority that oppose no-deal Brexit). If this is the case, why do the ERG believe they can force through No-Deal Brexit with May gone?

I would understand the strategy if there was a way for them to push no-deal through without requiring the commons vote, but didn't the latest vote in the commons legally prohibit the government from leaving the UK without a deal?

if my understanding is correct, it rather feels that there is a bit of self-indulgence going on within the ERG without much pragmatism.

Regards

Chris
    They cannot force no deal unless the law is changed and as the EU is now in charge of Brexit I doubt getting rid of T May will make a blind bit of difference.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    They cannot force no deal unless the law is changed and as the EU is now in charge of Brexit I doubt getting rid of T May will make a blind bit of difference.
    So what's their strategy? If they keep on going the way they are, they just play in the soft brexit strategy.

I wish there was a bit of pragmatism that took place instead of idealism.

Thanks
    So what's their strategy? If they keep on going the way they are, they just play in the soft brexit strategy.

I wish there was a bit of pragmatism that took place instead of idealism.
    It isn't even in their hands any longer,not that it ever was really,all they can really do is showboat.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Hello

Regards

Chris

They probably think it is a stitch-up. We do not know what May said to Merkel, but I think they are both pro-EU. Macron played the big man when he went in but clearly had no effect at all on the deal, so that is suspicious.

What we need is a prime minister who is ideologically for a clean exit and supports free market economics, because that is how we will have to live after we leave. That is unless we get stitched up and find we are not really left. For example, we need to be in complete control of who we trade with, what we trade and what deals we can make with other countries in the interests of tariff reduction, and ideally elimination. We need a post-EU plan on trade with the rest of the world. For example, every time China comes to try and talk to our country and wishing to increase trade, some stupid idiot, most likely from a safe seat, goes and insults them, and they look at us as though we are stupid. Our GDP is projected at about 1.5% this year against about 7% over there.

My view is JRM should take over, but he's far too intelligent to be popular in this country, so I guess we'll have another half-wit/EU stooge of a left-leaning temperament.
    Toiler on the sea

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Lotsov For This Useful Post:

Barry (12-04-2019), cassie (13-04-2019), johnofgwent (13-04-2019), Major Sinic (13-04-2019)

Thanks
    Let's have a GE and chuck it all in the air and see where it lands.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cassie For This Useful Post:

El Jefe (15-04-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    The EU have always been in charge Sheepy...yet that ridiculous Parliamentary proclamation is extremely risible....That is an absolutely impracticable statement - even if it did reach the statute books....because WE cannot tie the hands of the EU.......and IF, ( albeit maybe unlikely), the EU could, ( and, on second thoughts probably would), continue to ask for a ridiculously one sided trade agreement ---- and if we were not allowed to agree a no deal...??? The mind boggles.....

Thanks

The commons cannot stop no-deal. All the Bill does is mandate that the PM asks for an extension if no-deal is likely. If the EU doesn't agree to that extension then we leave with no-deal unless Parliament votes to cancel A50.

So the ERG could possibly engineer a no-deal exit if we have a change of PM. For example the end date now is 31st Oct - so a new PM (Boris?) could go through the motions of negotiating and just running down the clock over the summer. Parliament would then send him back to the EU to ask for yet another delay but if Boris had made clear to the EU than if we were made to stay he would cause havoc with their future plans (vetoing everything) then its highly likely that any extension would not be forthcoming and we would leave with no deal.

But first you have to dig out Mrs May from her bunker...