Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I am offended!!

Thanks
    Believe it or not, it is women who are worse for this sort of thing. I'm sure you have had experiences where you deal with an official, and like back in the old days they were often blokes, and if you presented a good reason they'd let you have what you wanted, even though the rules were a bit of an arse. Where it was a matter of judgment they would be fair and reasonable, hence rounding off the sharp edges of legislation, if it were to be taken literally and to the extreme in interpretation.

These days on many occasions I've had this kind of "block-all" kind of front from these Nu women officials. Wherever there is the slightest question an action may enter into the territory of a rule, they play on the side of caution, and I believe in many instances this is through fear of getting it wrong. You often find that where you walk away without success and feel the treatment is unreasonable, that if you zoom in on the intricacies of the law and what it really is, then the law is reasonable. It's just they don't know much of it. Of course more and more laws are added each year and few removed, and university education continues to be dumbed down, so this is the problem we face. You can use it to your advantage if you know what you are doing.
    Who cares where you were wot night
    Now we have you under this light

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    The "right to be honest" is an interesting definition of Freedom of Speech, because as I've mentioned on another thread, there's a question as to whether free speech should include the right to knowingly lie in order to undermine the society you live in, particularly if you are in a position of power and influence.
    Well, i do not think you have a right not to be suckered.

What I would support very strongly is a mechanism whereby retribution arrives by the wheelbarrowload for such individuals.

Let me see if i can explain with an example. Did you know that Tony Blair has, in fact, been censured by a House Select Committee for knowingly misleading the house on a point of policy ? Whenever I say that, someone make the mistake of thinking i refer to dodgy dossiers or warmongering. I do not. In fact I refer to immigration policy in the early years of his term in office. I know that after a visit by a couple of indian software house millionaires, Blair sent Patricia Hewitt and Stephen Byers to India to rustle up as many indians as they possibly could to flood this country with people who claimed to have certain IT skills that were in short supply. All sorts of perks and fast track immigrant work visas were offered to these people, many of whom I later encountered in my freelance career in all sorts of legally questionable circumstances which are a diversion to the point i wish to make, which is that the underlying "fact" on which this scam worked, the supposed shortage of certain skills, was a complete fabrication.

As members of the consultative council advising the directors of a professional body, I and my fellow advisers canvassed our membership and interested parties asking anyone who had these skills and was keen to work in some field using them to send us their CVs to prove there was no such skill shortage. When we got to the point where several thousand people with british passports currently resident in the uk sent us their details saying they were keen to take up such work, we lobbied a few MP's.

Next thing I know I'm in a business suit giving evidence to a Parliamentary Select Committee and giving them sight of his pile of people al with these skills annwanting those jobs all british passport holders already here.

Blair was dragged into the committee and the riot act was read. His fast tracked visa scheme was quietly dropped.

His face as he left was a picture.

Now, try finding evidence of any of that. If you're lucky you'll find a 1990 BBC news item on the scheme being brought to an end.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Well, i do not think you have a right not to be suckered.

What I would support very strongly is a mechanism whereby retribution arrives by the wheelbarrowload for such individuals.

Let me see if i can explain with an example. Did you know that Tony Blair has, in fact, been censured by a House Select Committee for knowingly misleading the house on a point of policy ? Whenever I say that, someone make the mistake of thinking i refer to dodgy dossiers or warmongering. I do not. In fact I refer to immigration policy in the early years of his term in office. I know that after a visit by a couple of indian software house millionaires, Blair sent Patricia Hewitt and Stephen Byers to India to rustle up as many indians as they possibly could to flood this country with people who claimed to have certain IT skills that were in short supply. All sorts of perks and fast track immigrant work visas were offered to these people, many of whom I later encountered in my freelance career in all sorts of legally questionable circumstances which are a diversion to the point i wish to make, which is that the underlying "fact" on which this scam worked, the supposed shortage of certain skills, was a complete fabrication.

As members of the consultative council advising the directors of a professional body, I and my fellow advisers canvassed our membership and interested parties asking anyone who had these skills and was keen to work in some field using them to send us their CVs to prove there was no such skill shortage. When we got to the point where several thousand people with british passports currently resident in the uk sent us their details saying they were keen to take up such work, we lobbied a few MP's.

Next thing I know I'm in a business suit giving evidence to a Parliamentary Select Committee and giving them sight of his pile of people al with these skills annwanting those jobs all british passport holders already here.

Blair was dragged into the committee and the riot act was read. His fast tracked visa scheme was quietly dropped.

His face as he left was a picture.

Now, try finding evidence of any of that. If you're lucky you'll find a 1990 BBC news item on the scheme being brought to an end.
    That's excellent work. Blighty relies on people to do that sort of thing.
    Who cares where you were wot night
    Now we have you under this light

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    The "right to be honest" is an interesting definition of Freedom of Speech, because as I've mentioned on another thread, there's a question as to whether free speech should include the right to knowingly lie in order to undermine the society you live in, particularly if you are in a position of power and influence.
    Free speech, taken as absolute, does indeed imply the 'right' to lie. Lying for personal gain while in a position of power is a breach of trust, or an abuse of office, so there are separate rules for that.