Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What next for the Liberal Democrats?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

What next for the Liberal Democrats?

The BBC reports With Vince Cable stepping down as leader, who might succeed him and what will it mean for the party?

More...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,184 Times in 875 Posts
    I don't know who would be leading the Party but given the current state of affairs in Westminster they would I think have a better than even chance of getting a few seats at the next election . After we leave the EU and you take their support for staying in the EU away their policies are no worse than anyone else's . They could quite possibly become contenders by default .

Thanks
    OP

**** 'em all I say! My dream team would be Prime Minister Farage, and Home Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg. Maybe then they could 'do a Maggie', and take us from being 'the sick man of Europe/the world' to being globally respected again, instead of the object of the world's pity.
    There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

‘The longer the truth remains untold, the deeper it gets buried.’

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cerberus For This Useful Post:

Borchester (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevectaylor View Post
    The BBC reports With Vince Cable stepping down as leader, who might succeed him and what will it mean for the party?

More...
    Very difficult to predict. The Lib-Dems were badly tainted when they got into bed with the hated Tories.
    However the current government have made such an almighty bog of things ably assisted by Chris Grayling, and the Lib-Dems were a close 2nd in a number of Tory marginals, I suspect the result of the next general election could be better for the Lib-Dems than many pundits will predict.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cerberus View Post
    OP

**** 'em all I say! My dream team would be Prime Minister Farage, and Home Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg. Maybe then they could 'do a Maggie', and take us from being 'the sick man of Europe/the world' to being globally respected again, instead of the object of the world's pity.
    I think you judge our nation too harshly.

Certainly the British political establishment has let down and even betrayed the whole of the UK regarding Brexit. Cable and Corbyn have given up even paying lip service to the 17.4 million votes which voted Leave.

However , Brexit to one side, the UK is doing rather better than most of its EU neighbours. We have more people in employment than ever before, wages and salaries are accelerating and at some 3.2% far outstrip the rate of inflation and the annual deficit is lower than it has been since before 2007 and lower than planned. Compare this with Germany and Italy (in recession), France on the brink of recession , the most unpopular President in living memory, massive social unrest, rioting and civil disobedience. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Cyprus all technically bankrupt with political upheaval in Italy and Spain.

Certainly, contrary to the opinions of the more jaundiced Remainers, most departing international investment is caused by the current global downturn rather than Brexit while the UK was recently accorded the accolade of the best country in the world to do business. Such partial Remainers blame everything with a negative connotation on Brexit and anything with a positive outcome as accidental. I am fully expecting Beelebubor or HyperDuck to post on here this evening if England don't win the Six Nations that it is all the fault of Brexit.

So in conclusion don't put your country down, there are plenty of faceless Europeans on the forum who seem too ashamed of their nationality to declare it, who are happy to do that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Very difficult to predict. The Lib-Dems were badly tainted when they got into bed with the hated Tories.
    However the current government have made such an almighty bog of things ably assisted by Chris Grayling, and the Lib-Dems were a close 2nd in a number of Tory marginals, I suspect the result of the next general election could be better for the Lib-Dems than many pundits will predict.
    With a 40% showing in recent opinion polls for the Tories compared with 31% for Labour and 10% or the LibDems, it seems odd coming from anyone but you, to refer to the Tories as hated! As usual they have largely got us out of the economic mess Labour got us into. Anyway I am sure Jezza will be reassured that the forum's most fervent closet Corbynista will be supporting him come the reckoning.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    With a 40% showing in recent opinion polls for the Tories compared with 31% for Labour and 10% or the LibDems, it seems odd coming from anyone but you, to refer to the Tories as hated! As usual they have largely got us out of the economic mess Labour got us into. Anyway I am sure Jezza will be reassured that the forum's most fervent closet Corbynista will be supporting him come the reckoning.
    That 40% have believed the propaganda, some of which you have just repeated word for word:- "We have more people in employment than ever before, wages and salaries are accelerating." Comes as no surprises to me. The problem is there are still millions of people who effectively have not had a pay rise since 2008.
    Also several million people have been VERY badly effected by the cuts, austerity and VERY harsh regime for claimants, which the government repeatedly does a three wise monkey's and a "tin ear" to.
    You may not realise it or understand it but the Tories are hated, to the point many current and recent past Tory ministers have 24/7/365 armed guards.

Many are now rarely seen out it public and will only appear at invite only "public" meetings.

I expect your usual ill informed response, but as they say ignorance is bliss.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    That 40% have believed the propaganda, some of which you have just repeated word for word:- "We have more people in employment than ever before, wages and salaries are accelerating." Comes as no surprises to me. The problem is there are still millions of people who effectively have not had a pay rise since 2008.
    Also several million people have been VERY badly effected by the cuts, austerity and VERY harsh regime for claimants, which the government repeatedly does a three wise monkey's and a "tin ear" to.
    You may not realise it or understand it but the Tories are hated, to the point many current and recent past Tory ministers have 24/7/365 armed guards.

Many are now rarely seen out it public and will only appear at invite only "public" meetings.

I expect your usual ill informed response, but as they say ignorance is bliss.
    You are way past being taken seriously, you are past even being laughed out. The reaction your posts elicit the most is contempt.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevectaylor View Post

More...
    Does it matter?

The lib dems are just the oh sod it party for when you don't want to vote for anyone else.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Sinic View Post
    You are way past being taken seriously, you are past even being laughed out. The reaction your posts elicit the most is contempt.
    I really don't care what you think, because you are totally blinkered as to how nasty the Tory government is, and to the extent they are hated, and with good reason.