Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: What we might have if we revoke article 50

Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    The referendum was just advisory - Parlaiment have always had the choice to ignore the result.
    Absolutely true.
    And if they decide to revoke Article 50, not only will they have the list of things that beelbeeb started the OP, we will have:
    1. A breakdown in any remaining confidence that we had in our representatives in Parliament.
    2. Anti EU protests on the streets.
    3. As Theresa May said, a loss of cohesion in society.
    4. The death of democracy and a likelihood of a rise in populist direct democracy parties.
    Last edited by Bright Young Thing; 11-02-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    The referendum was just advisory - Parlaiment have always had the choice to ignore the result.
    No clue, where i come from it does not exactly work that way, so what i have said might not be correct about revoking the article 50, so i guess it's all up to your parliament now. Regards.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    So what you're saying is let the David Lammys of this world have their way and overrule the will of the people.

Yes ?
    Where does it say that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Absolutely true.
    And if they decide to revoke Article 50, not only will they have the list of things that beelbeeb started the OP, we will have:
    1. A breakdown in any remaining confidence that we had in our representatives in Parliament.
    4. The death of democracy and a likelihood of a rise in populist direct democracy parties.

If that is true, i mean legally true, then that's how it works in there. People cannot complain on the referendum because of the above.
    Last edited by Bright Young Thing; 11-02-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    But Parliament did vote for the referendum and to abide by the result of it.
    Parliament voted to hold a referendum that was explicitly advisory and non binding.

It was debated if there should be super majority or turnout conditions and the answer from HMG was these were not needed because the result was advisory only

Subsequent statements by Cameron and even HMG that they would be bound by the outcome were simply political promises.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Absolutely true.
    not sure why you think that. Trust in politicians is pretty low to begin with.

You may lose trust in politicians is brexit doesn't happen but I will probably lose trust in them if it does, so they've rather screwed themselves with this either way.
    Don't think so. So far all Leave have ever managed to muster are a handful of football yobs and swivel eyes racists in yellow vests.

Support for brexit is overwhelmingly skewed towards the over 50's. They're not going to riot.
    sadly the damage has been done already. Whichever way this goes one side will be pissed off.
    I think democracy is already wounded. A deeply divisive path carried out on the back of a narrow victory in a tainted poll.

This affair has shown up some huge weaknesses in our Constitution and politics.

That *will* need shaking up. A system that allows the likes of Chope in to power needs fixing.

[Quote]
    Last edited by Bright Young Thing; 11-02-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Well as far as rebutting it goes.

"All directives from Brussels to be first passed by UK Parliament before becoming UK law" - are you suggesting that QMV is going to be abolished? - when?

and

"Ability to nationalised and even provide assistance to industries (for the Corbynites)" - is the 4th Rail Package not now coming into being in 2020? - have you a link?

or

Ability to deport EU nationals who are a burden - no benefit tourists! - is the law going to be changed allowing is to deport homeless EU nationals who are a burden on the State - link please.
    1. QMV stays (the UK was a keen proponent of QMV) - I was referring to the fact that EU directives don't have effect in UK law unless and until the UK Parliament legislates they do.

2. The 4th rail package doesn't prevent nationalised rail companies. It does have provisions to prevent monopolies, private or public, distorting the market, but nationalised rail companies be they operators or infra structure providers are still permitted.

3. The illegality of deporting EU citizens because they were rough sleeping was decided by a UK (high) court (surely this is what you want?). It deemed the home office policy violated several areas of UK law made in connection with both the EU and ECHR which is separate from the EU (and incorporated into UK law separately).

Again, EU citizens in the UK overwhelmingly contribute more than they take. The UK will literally be poorer without them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post

Again, EU citizens in the UK overwhelmingly contribute more than they take. The UK will literally be poorer without them.

Have you any referenced evidence for that please? (Seriously) As all the "evidence" I have seen mysteriously leaves out the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants benefit data and their unemployment rates.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    And there with the insults

Would you like to keep licking Putin's shoes. I'm sure he'd reward you for all your efforts on this forum.

To much? Then maybe you should stick to arguments and give the juvenile insults a miss.

@mods feel free to delete the last part of Barry and my posts.
    Oops. Hit a nerve, did I?
    You are so pro EU you might as well go and live there. I did once and eventually decided I prefer the homeland. The corruption in local government was bad, but it went through the whole country and right up to the top of Brussels. Which is partly why I voted leave.

Thanks
    Referendum might be just advisory but democracy is not.