Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: May to blame

Thanks
    Where I see May is to blame is the weeks of delay trying to win over parliament in the first vote. Valuable time wasted and her deal was overwhelmingly voted down.

We all knew her deal would get voted down yet she delayed for weeks.

Now again, she is delaying for weeks another vote. To me these delays make her look weak.

If she is so obtuse to what is happening how could she negotiate a fair deal in the first place?

Thanks
    Governments may have given their countries a vote on treaties which had already been devised by politicians in the already made (by politicians) European Parliament.
    Also I think they may be worried witless that if we leave without cow towing to their demands and along the line we actually make it work, oh dear what are the disgruntled EU citizens going to think and do then. Scotland may not have an EU to join even if it has become an independent country.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Junckrfu View Post
    Where I see May is to blame is the weeks of delay trying to win over parliament in the first vote. Valuable time wasted and her deal was overwhelmingly voted down.

We all knew her deal would get voted down yet she delayed for weeks.

Now again, she is delaying for weeks another vote. To me these delays make her look weak.

If she is so obtuse to what is happening how could she negotiate a fair deal in the first place?
    The thing is reality hasnt sunk in yet for many ordinary people or politicians.

The new brexiters mantra is the eu is just playing hard to get , whilst its taking longer than we imagined , they will cave in at 5 minutes to midnight.

..and the eu arent budging , they are backing the irish to the hilt.

So we have two entrenched opinions , unable to budge , while may runs around like a headless chicken trying to plead , beg and cajole enough support for her withdrawal agreement to pass through parliament.

Meanwhile the clock ticks on , and the pressure mounts , and the cold hard rock of reality rushes onwards towards that brexiter bubble.

Will she have the backbone honour and integrity to say back me or sack me , if you dont support the WA then i resign , or will she as i suspect keep banging her head off the brick wall til the last minute before she calls brexit off under some sort of "delay".?

Its not as though she doesnt have previous form for chickening out at the last minute , like when her bottle crashed and she postponed the brexit vote in december.

So my money is on this going to the wire then brexit being indefinitely delayed.
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffu View Post
    Scotland may not have an EU to join even if it has become an independent country.
    just as its also true to say England might not have a uk to lead into the sunny independent brexiter uplands outside the eu........
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post

The new brexiters mantra is the eu is just playing hard to get , whilst its taking longer than we imagined , they will cave in at 5 minutes to midnight.

So we have two entrenched opinions , unable to budge , while may runs around like a headless chicken trying to plead , beg and cajole enough support for her withdrawal agreement to pass through parliament.

Meanwhile the clock ticks on , and the pressure mounts , and the cold hard rock of reality rushes onwards towards that brexiter bubble.

Will she have the backbone honour and integrity to say back me or sack me , if you dont support the WA then i resign , or will she as i suspect keep banging her head off the brick wall til the last minute before she calls brexit off under some sort of "delay".?

Its not as though she doesnt have previous form for chickening out at the last minute , like when her bottle crashed and she postponed the brexit vote in december.

So my money is on this going to the wire then brexit being indefinitely delayed.
    The thing is I agree 100% with you but what May is doing will kill the economy. She is playing politics all the while companies are leaving. I am speechless that she is handling it this way.

Companies in the UK want stability and decisions. Not instability and unknown. May's indecisiveness is killing The UK.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Junckrfu View Post
    The thing is I agree 100% with you but what May is doing will kill the economy. She is playing politics all the while companies are leaving. I am speechless that she is handling it this way.

Companies in the UK want stability and decisions. Not instability and unknown. May's indecisiveness is killing The UK.
    hey junckie its quiet on here the day.

Is it the sunday blues , or is aw the brexiters in a complete downer.?

They seem to have lost the spring from their step!

As for mays indecisiveness killing the uk , well i think the uk died a long time ago .

What we are seeing is brittannias corpse twitching.

Theresa may and her opposite uncle jeremy arent the cause of brittannias decline , nor is brexit. They are merely symptoms of it.

Thanks
    it does , and in a democracy it is also a never endum.

Brexiters want to laud democratic principles when it suits , but ignore others when its inconvenient.

Democracy didnt stop in either 2014 or 2016.

of course what wrong with that?

Their agenda is to represent their constituents , and the parties main aim and principles are clear for all to understand.

Anyone who thinks the tory party didnt have its own agenda when it called the brexit ref doesnt understand politics.

you should tell this to toots.

In toots and other folks minds , theresa mays inadequacies as a politician and prime minister are really the fault of everyone else , whoever they may be or wherever , trying to undermine brexit.

The fact the tories are in power as a minority government , and less than 7 weeks to go after three years of bleating , cannot enact a simple referendum result appears to be the fault of everyone else bar theresa may and her party.
    The SNP are being obstructive because they want a referendum for Scotland, and don't want to leave the EU. As are MPs from all over England who just plain don't want to leave so are being obstructive. My pint is, that's not entirely May's fault that she's battling MPs who won't abide by the result of the referendum.,which was the question of the this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    The SNP are being obstructive because they want a referendum for Scotland, and don't want to leave the EU. As are MPs from all over England who just plain don't want to leave so are being obstructive. My pint is, that's not entirely May's fault that she's battling MPs who won't abide by the result of the referendum.,which was the question of the this thread.
    sorry cassie but what?

You complain when mps dont listen to the will of the people , then complain when the snp mps do.

Of course the snp want another referendum , and you english brexiters have handed it to them on a plate. They are standing up for their constituents , party manifesto and principles , i ask again whats wrong with that?

Are you seriously telling me you expected different?

The SNP have a mere 35 mps out of 650 in your parliament , they can be as obstructive as they want , but the maths show England has over 80 % of the mps in that place , and from memory the majority of english constituencies voted leave so 35 cannot outvote 533.

So if anyone isnt enacting the referendum result and their constituents wishes clearly its english politicians not the SNP.

Mays problem isnt the 35 snp mps , its her lack of belief in brexit , her inadequacies as a prime minister and politician , and the fact the majority of her party and the labour party , and the majority of english mps , dont want to leave the eu.

Crying people wont abide by a referendum result isnt changing anything one bit.

If brexit doesnt happen , it wont be because of 35 snp mps , it will be because the majority in the commons dont want it.Including theresa may.

Thanks

Question

hey junckie its quiet on here the day.

Is it the sunday blues , or is aw the brexiters in a complete downer.?

They seem to have lost the spring from their step!

As for mays indecisiveness killing the uk , well i think the uk died a long time ago .

What we are seeing is brittannias corpse twitching.

Theresa may and her opposite uncle jeremy arent the cause of brittannias decline , nor is brexit. They are merely symptoms of it.

Thomas the Tank Engine's ignorance on display yet again.... Britannia, is a personifaction of Britain, which is an Island. Britannia is typically depicted as a female warrior complete with helmet and shield, and guess what, the Romans actually knew the Island as Britannia - and even produced coins on which such a figure appeared......I guess only in the Celtic whingers mind can an Island be killed......and Brexit will undoubtedly not do that......in fact resuming normality - i.e on a par with the vast majority of countries who manage that well enough without having to cede sovereignty, pay an annual Łmulti-billion tribute and join a political entity in order to access free trade, ( a feature which I believe is rather close to his heart!!), would be considered preferable.

Thanks

First off, I think we got off on the wrong foot the first time around, I like the way you think except you are Scot but hey no one is perfect
    I am born and raised in Canada and a duel EU citizen living in Europe the last 10 years and Germany 5 and just recently moved to Ireland.

That being said I was very much Pro EU until about two years ago when Merkel waived in all the migrants and there has been nothing but problems, rterrorist attacks ****, murder and theft. Most people are not from Syria or Afghan but come with no papers and lie about their Origin coming from Morocco, Iran, Tunisia. I saw a lot of migrants collecting the dole 3, 4 or even 5 times by using different names. Watching Merkel wave in a million migrants and most without papers so you have no idea who they are and Merkel now bullying other countries to take those immigrants because Germany is overwhelmed I have done a complete 180 on how I feel about Merkel and Brussels.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now you have my background its not really my place to say remain or leave so I focus more on what is happening now.

With May there is a maximum gains or a maximum loss that May could negotiate for when leaving the EU. I feel May has gotten almost the worst deal out there. I didn't really want to focus on the history of the UK but more from the moment that the UK voted to leave until now what has May done for the UK to maximize its gains? I see not much. May keeps kicking the can down the street and sooner or later the street will turn into a cliff. Her leadership is a disaster or Jeremy is even worse. The UK is missing a leader and sadly there is none in sight.

If May's plan is to remain in the EU then what she is doing is massive damage to the British economy by going about it the way she has.

The deal I would have liked to see is for ONLY EU-UK citizens keep free movement and new EU members must get approval from parliament to gain these rights, remain in the single market but Britain have a say on future immigration and be able to work outside of the EU mandate for migration and trade. It would have seemed like a win win. Keep the borders open for EU citizens and have a say on future EU members entering the country. Have a say on refugees and outside immigration.

It does no good to start kicking people out after they have been let in. It does no good to change to old rules and force companies to leave because they are tied up in visas and immigration courts trying to bring in French, German and Dutch workers.