Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Farage's new Brexit party wins official recognition - but what's the point?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Farage's new Brexit party wins official recognition - but what's the point?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

I wonder what the point in such a party would be. It says they intend to field lots of candidates. If that's in a general election, then there's a snowball's chance in Hell of this party winning a single seat, it won't even get near to what UKIP did at its peak. It might snap up a few UKIP voters and a few more ex-UKIP voters, but that's all. And if Article 50 is extended and we get the chance to vote in the May EU parliament elections, then the Brexit Party will undermine what's left of UKIP, splitting the anti-EU vote. In fact what Farage is doing is a microcosm of Brexit - He left something that was, from his viewpoint, doing OK (UKIP) and has to start from scratch again to get back to a position less good than what he left, when he could have stayed on. Not that I care, Farage, UKIP and this new Brexit party are all part of Project Wreckingball.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    Clutching at straws again?
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

Thanks
    If we take part in the next Euro elections it would be nice to have a chance to vote for a Leave promoting Party who doenst have all the right-wing baggage that UKIP now have.

I think they will do quite well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to El Jefe For This Useful Post:

Borchester (10-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    Clutching at straws again?
    Actually I hear he's bought a haystack
    To paraphase one of our last great political leaders Winston Spencer Churchill "Never in the field of British politics and Brexit was so much expected by so many of so few......only to be bitterly disappointed"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cromwell For This Useful Post:

Borchester (10-02-2019), T00ts (08-02-2019)

Thanks
    I suppose the point being the majority of the public who voted against the establishment have been ignored.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sheepy For This Useful Post:

Borchester (10-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 776 Posts
    The key to any new Brexit party will be to get all brexiteers on board . The reason UKIP fell apart vote wise was because the Leavers in the labour and particularly the conservative party decided they best served Brexit from within their own parties .

Lets hope they have now realised that they must all stand together , they may find they have more support than they ever imagined

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    The key to any new Brexit party will be to get all brexiteers on board . The reason UKIP fell apart vote wise was because the Leavers in the labour and particularly the conservative party decided they best served Brexit from within their own parties .

Lets hope they have now realised that they must all stand together , they may find they have more support than they ever imagined
    I might even be prepared to put my vote in their direction if there was a candidate here. Sadly I am almost certain that our feet will be too far in the EU mire for the next GE to make a lot of difference. My vote is currently homeless.
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperduck Quack Quack View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

I wonder what the point in such a party would be.
    It could attract sufficient normally Tories voters to lose the Tories a number of marginal seats.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 698 Posts
    The Labour Party is getting ever closer to a split between the loony left and the moderate left of centre. There may well be a new home for the many Tory brexiteers and many of the less rabid right from UKIP in a party such as Farage's. The result would, in my view, result in the improbability of any party getting an overall majority, thus providing a catalyst for a movement toward proportional representation. This in my opinion would be a positive reform resulting in extreme politics being unable to obtain overall control, a true representation of the electorate and the establishment of a centre ground caucus.

Personally I am unlikely to desert the Tories as, Brexit apart which I support, I invariably find myself with centrist views particularly regarding Tory social policy. I also don't accept the view held by some brexiters on this forum that Mrs May is a closet Remainer. She remains in my view a principled leader motivated by a strong sense of duty who is genuinely trying to provide a meaningful Brexit. As Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson said 'although she has been dealt an awful hand, she has not played that hand well'.

Labour is the Party ready to sell us down the democratic river with a Brexit in name alone, designed not to fufill the majority vote of the electorate, nor remotely to reflect the interests of the country but solely to further weaken the likelihood of the government obtaining a solution to the current crisis.

Thanks
    I read this,

"In February 2018, the European Parliament voted to decrease the number of MEPs from 751 to 705 after the United Kingdom withdraws from the European Union on the current schedule."

- MEP numbers to be cut from 751 to 705 after Brexit.
    - 46 of the 73 UK seats freed up by Brexit available for possible EU enlargement.
    - 27 UK seats to be shared out among 14 under-represented EU countries.

I guess someone wont get a sit in there anymore, does not matter what the elections will be because a brexit is now a fact, there was a referendum for that.

Junker is not the EU, but pay attention to some of hist statements. Regards.