Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Question Time 7th Feb.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 996 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It wasn’t a British referendum otherwise Scotland and Ireland wouldn’t have got a vote (not being part of Britain)

It was a UK referendum.
    er ... yes but by your definition ? nope. well NOT QUITE...

My great grandfather's passports, on which my grandfathers appeared as named children, called them both British subjects and citizens of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Which it was until the Republic opted to use murder, mayhem and riot to secede, causing my father's passport, issued in 1935, to look very much like my own, issued in my own right in 1961, something pretty much unheard of for kids back then. We were both declared British Subjects, Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and more than hinted a gunboat up the junta was the reward for anyone thinking they could piss on it and what it stood for.

So it WAS a UK referendum

But had it been a "british" one the only non participants wouod have been northern Ireland.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    Britain refers to the island i.e. Scotland, England, Wales. I know that many of your countrymen see England & Britain as synonyms. Good to see that you are one of them.
    NO, I was taking fact and has nothing to do with sentiment.

Britain is England and Wales.
    Great Britain is Britain and Scotland
    UK is GB plus NI.

If you can prove this wrong I’d love to hear from you. BTW, I don’t accept “Is largely referred to as”, that’s the same as saying someone using a Dyson is Hoovering.
    I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    er ... yes but by your definition ? nope. well NOT QUITE...

My great grandfather's passports, on which my grandfathers appeared as named children, called them both British subjects and citizens of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Which it was until the Republic opted to use murder, mayhem and riot to secede, causing my father's passport, issued in 1935, to look very much like my own, issued in my own right in 1961, something pretty much unheard of for kids back then. We were both declared British Subjects, Citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and more than hinted a gunboat up the junta was the reward for anyone thinking they could piss on it and what it stood for.

So it WAS a UK referendum

But had it been a "british" one the only non participants wouod have been northern Ireland.
    Why are you arguing with me? I didn’t set the terminology. Somethings things are true whether you believe them or not.

The UK is 4 countries, agreed.
    Great Britain is 3 countries, England, Wales and Scotland.
    In this context Great means bigger or larger, so if Great Britain is 3 countries meaning Larger Britain then how does that work if Britain is also 3 countries?
    So as you perfectly illustrated my point and the fact I assume your Great Grandapents were Welsh, that is why they were called British, Wales being part of Britain an all.

Thanks
    Why are you arguing with me? I didn’t set the terminology. Somethings things are true whether you believe them or not.

The UK is 4 countries, agreed.
    Great Britain is 3 countries, England, Wales and Scotland.
    In this context Great means bigger or larger, so if Great Britain is 3 countries meaning Larger Britain then how does that work if Britain is also 3 countries?
    So as you perfectly illustrated my point and the fact I assume your Great Grandapents were Welsh, that is why they were called British, Wales being part of Britain an all.

No i think you have it wrong nick.

There is no such , and never has been , a country called britain.

Neither is there a sovereign state called britain.

Great Britain refers to the name of an island off the coast of north west europe , it is a geographical name only. Britain is merely the shortened name for it.

The reason it is called great britain is because

1. Britain is the latin *******isation of the p celtic name prydain.

2. It is called great because there are two britains in north west europe , our island and the north west of France , which is known as little britain.

So no , britain isnt and never has been England and wales.
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. You are suggesting therefore that England leaves the EU, and Scotland remains. I doubt the EU even know Scotland exists. We have had this discussion before. I would be delighted if Scotland wasn't part of the UK, as the Barnett formula costs the good old English a fortune keeping the Sweaties in free prescriptions and free education. As far as I am concerned Donald Trump can spend any left over money building another wall between us, but until then you are part of the UK, and should respect democracy.
    Nothing ridiculous about it. If the UK was an equal entity then Scotland would have had the power to stop the madness England has forced us into. The EU is a more equal organisation. Small countries have the same power to halt legislation as the larger ones. Either when unanimity is required or joining with other like minded countries or collaborating with others to provide a 'qualified majority' or simple majority.
    The inequity inherent in the UK is there for all to see. Equality it aint!
    The Barnett formula is the return of money raised through taxation in Scotland.
    As for previous discussions, you so obviously haven't learned a thing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to morayloon For This Useful Post:

thomas (09-02-2019)

Thanks
    NO, I was taking fact and has nothing to do with sentiment
    The fact is that you don't know what you are talking about.

Britain is England and Wales
    What utter bullshit. Do some research!
    Great Britain is Britain and Scotland
    GB is Engand, Scotland, Wales
    UK is GB plus NI
    1 out of 3. Could do much better!

Perhaps you could let us all know where the idea that Britain = England & Wales came from? Can't wait for that reply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post

Perhaps you could let us all know where the idea that Britain = England & Wales came from? Can't wait for that reply.
    The trouble is as im sure you know moray , the "british " politicians spout so much bullshit , it has the english going round and round in circles so much so they dont know where they are.
    "
    Is it any wonder when we have had iconic "british " politicians like thatcher telling the english that dubliner Bob Geldof made her proud of british youth" in the 80`s , To the monarch calling herself the duchess of normandy , onto the many crackers i have heard on this forum over the years , not least of which was stevlin telling us northern ireland wasnt part of the uk , merely an associate member of it.

Why cant they just call their country england and be feckin done with it.

They are starting to baffle themselves with all the bullshit.
    "Pour l’Angleterre … il n’y a pas d’alliance qui tienne, ni de traité qui vaille, ni la vérité qui compte." Charles De Gaulle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post

Why cant they just call their country england and be feckin done with it.
    Great idea. Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland could just be additional counties. In time we could teach them all to use knives and forks, and in the distant future electricity lines could be laid. Of course, this would be well after I have gone to heaven !
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    Of course, this would be well after I have gone to heaven !
    Dont delay on my account know it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    No i think you have it wrong nick.

There is no such , and never has been , a country called britain.

Neither is there a sovereign state called britain.

Great Britain refers to the name of an island off the coast of north west europe , it is a geographical name only. Britain is merely the shortened name for it.

The reason it is called great britain is because

1. Britain is the latin *******isation of the p celtic name prydain.

2. It is called great because there are two britains in north west europe , our island and the north west of France , which is known as little britain.

So no , britain isnt and never has been England and wales.
    What ever !!
    http://projectbritain.com/britain/britain.htm

"2. It is called great because there are two britains in north west europe , our island and the north west of France , which is known as little Britain."

I highlighted the OUR as I didn't realise you were such a Unionist !! Also could you show me a screenshot of the Britain in France? I am eager to know where it is? BYW Britain by any other name isn't Britain!