Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The True Cost

Thanks

The True Cost

In the next few weeks the Remainers amongst us will be coming to terms with losing for a seconds time, this time it will be their despicable fight to stop the biggest democratic exercise in recent times. So to bring some cheer I thought we could look at all the savings we will make by not having access to CU, that's Corrupt Union BTW.

I have looked at the broadest product ranges and countries, excluding an country this is in civil war like Venezuela, where it's $10 to breath.

In the UK a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 4 is £38,905, in the USA $38,380 (£29,675.28).
    Oranges in Spain average around 1 Euro per KG where as in Brasil they are about 8c per KG. This is changing as Africa unload into Europe but expect demonstrations from the Spanish farmers.

1L of Johnny Walker Red Label in Russia is 18 Euros, in the UK it is £31.43 per Litre.
    Beef 1 KG from Argentina is around $5 kg, in Belgium it's over $15, in Norway $27.69 and France $18.16

Starbucks in the USA is $2.88 but in Switzerland, Germany, Norway and Sweden you're talking $6. Might be cold when you get it though

A pair of decent trainers in South Africa are $71.95, the same in The Netherlands are $124.74

As I keep saying, there is nothing we can't buy cheaper from the rest of the world so why are you so worried?
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

Thanks
    MOTHER OF GOD... Nick, honestly are you 12 yrs old

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry T View Post
    MOTHER OF GOD... Nick, honestly are you 12 yrs old
    NO, I'm only 6 but I've pulled your pants down a dozen times today !

Getting your facts right is a far better response than this pathetic attempt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    NO, I'm only 6 but I've pulled your pants down a dozen times today !

Getting your facts right is a far better response than this pathetic attempt.
    Ok then, do you understand a country must feed itself, to do this it must protect it's local food production. This is why the average WTO tariff on foods such as beef is over 40% on imports.
    So a fact for you. The UK is leaving and has submitted it's WTO schedule on beef. This has UK tariffs on beef at 45% and also a charge per Kg, giving an increase of near 70%. Your fooling yourself if you think food will be cheaper. It is going to be more expensive post brexit.
    The reason the UK only produces 60% of daily requirement stems back decades. To a time when the UK went to other countries and just took all the food it wanted. That system developed over time and the UK today is a producer of all sorts of packaged food from meat pies, pizza etc.... which it exports in great quantities. The difficulty the UK has is the cheap alternative foods the UK might take in are banned in the EU because of health concerns. If Angel dust & hormone fed Argentinian beef and genetically modified crops from the USA get into the UK food chain it will kill the UK export markets in the EU as they will be banned, this is the vast majority of these markets.

You should know this, my kids are 17 and they know this. If you did you wouldn't have written such a simplistic post which takes a tiny sliver of "fact" and bases a win on it, when the reality which considers the complicated nature of the economy sees that win as a major loss.

hope you don't cry now

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry T View Post
    Ok then, do you understand a country must feed itself, to do this it must protect it's local food production. This is why the average WTO tariff on foods such as beef is over 40% on imports.
    So a fact for you. The UK is leaving and has submitted it's WTO schedule on beef. This has UK tariffs on beef at 45% and also a charge per Kg, giving an increase of near 70%. Your fooling yourself if you think food will be cheaper. It is going to be more expensive post brexit.
    The reason the UK only produces 60% of daily requirement stems back decades. To a time when the UK went to other countries and just took all the food it wanted. That system developed over time and the UK today is a producer of all sorts of packaged food from meat pies, pizza etc.... which it exports in great quantities. The difficulty the UK has is the cheap alternative foods the UK might take in are banned in the EU because of health concerns. If Angel dust & hormone fed Argentinian beef and genetically modified crops from the USA get into the UK food chain it will kill the UK export markets in the EU as they will be banned, this is the vast majority of these markets.

You should know this, my kids are 17 and they know this. If you did you wouldn't have written such a simplistic post which takes a tiny sliver of "fact" and bases a win on it, when the reality which considers the complicated nature of the economy sees that win as a major loss.

hope you don't cry now
    I am sure that British farmers are up to the challenge of feeding the country. Is it not perhaps the fault of the EU's agricultural policy that favours inefficient French farmers above efficient British farmers and then to compound the problem puts quotas in their way eg milk quota etc. and fines them for over-producing. Take away all of the restrictions and I think we will not starve.

Thanks
    In the next few weeks the Remainers amongst us will be coming to terms with losing for a seconds time, this time it will be their despicable fight to stop the biggest democratic exercise in recent times. So to bring some cheer I thought we could look at all the savings we will make by not having access to CU, that's Corrupt Union BTW.

I have looked at the broadest product ranges and countries, excluding an country this is in civil war like Venezuela, where it's $10 to breath.

In the UK a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 4 is £38,905, in the USA $38,380 (£29,675.28).
    Oranges in Spain average around 1 Euro per KG where as in Brasil they are about 8c per KG. This is changing as Africa unload into Europe but expect demonstrations from the Spanish farmers.

1L of Johnny Walker Red Label in Russia is 18 Euros, in the UK it is £31.43 per Litre.
    Beef 1 KG from Argentina is around $5 kg, in Belgium it's over $15, in Norway $27.69 and France $18.16

Starbucks in the USA is $2.88 but in Switzerland, Germany, Norway and Sweden you're talking $6. Might be cold when you get it though

A pair of decent trainers in South Africa are $71.95, the same in The Netherlands are $124.74

As I keep saying, there is nothing we can't buy cheaper from the rest of the world so why are you so worried?
    You're not accounting for charges and restrictions imposed by the UK or variations in local labour costs and depth of buyers' pockets. For example, of the £31.43 for the 1L of Johnny Walker Red Label, £24.83 (79%) of it would be locally imposed duty and vat...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I am sure that British farmers are up to the challenge of feeding the country. Is it not perhaps the fault of the EU's agricultural policy that favours inefficient French farmers above efficient British farmers and then to compound the problem puts quotas in their way eg milk quota etc. and fines them for over-producing. Take away all of the restrictions and I think we will not starve.
    Don't disagree that the EU's agricultural policy favours inefficient French farmers, but would add it favours inefficient farmers in general.
    Don't agree British farmers are up to the challenge of feeding the country. It can be more productive, though it will still want subsidising:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42559845

Figures from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) reveal the UK produces 60% of what it needs to feed itself, compared with 74% 30 years ago.

"President of the NFU Minette Batters said the threat of a no deal, combined with the impact of 'unprecedented dry and hot weather' had put self-sufficiency in the spotlight and follows alarming news that the government was putting in place contingency plans to stockpile food in the event a no deal Brexit disrupted supply lines.

"Nevertheless, the figures highlight the UK’s reliance on foreign food exports and rubbishes claims British farmers could simply grow more food to make-up the shortfall."
    https://www.theweek.co.uk/95658/can-...elf-sufficient
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    You're not accounting for charges and restrictions imposed by the UK or variations in local labour costs and depth of buyers' pockets. For example, of the £31.43 for the 1L of Johnny Walker Red Label, £24.83 (79%) of it would be locally imposed duty and vat...
    I agree Pat, but what I did was select a complete cross section and tried not to cherrypick the Headline items.

The attempt is to show there are choices for the UK post Brexit.

With regards to the tax, we are free to make our own choices.

Thanks
    I agree Pat, but what I did was select a complete cross section and tried not to cherrypick the Headline items.

The attempt is to show there are choices for the UK post Brexit.

With regards to the tax, we are free to make our own choices.
    Exactly.

Which is why baldly comparing showroom price in one country with another is misleading — eg, in the UK a new car price includes: VAT at 20% of the car’s pre-tax cost, plus costs associated with putting the vehicle on the road. Other goods have similar differences.

Also, because different populations have different amounts of disposable incomes, I've seen local Big Macs used as the currency for more-indicative costings — eg, how many Chinese Big Macs would equate to the list price of a Land Rover Discovery in China, or French Big Macs in France, or UK Big Macs in UK, and so on...

Thanks

pair of levis 501 in USA? 30 bucks. Pair of levis 501 in the UK 80 pounds. Tariffs?

The UK should cosy up to USA but British media is for globalism and the media attacks Trump even though it is in the UK's best interest to have good trade with USA. Mayor Con of London attacks him every chance he gets even though crime spirals out of control in London Con always finds the time to attack him. London should be nicknamed stab city.