Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Thought Experiment 51st State

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 197 Times in 167 Posts

    Thought Experiment 51st State

    Quick thought experiment (this is only tenuously related to Brexit)

    The UK has Hard Brexited, stuck 2 fingers up at the EU, not paid any financial settlement blah blah blah and is now trading on WTO terms only.

    The idea is floated of the UK becoming the 51st state of the USA......

    For my part there are some clear (and massive) disadvantages to this arrangement, which I won't focus on.

    However there are some intriguing positives.

    - Freedom of movement for UK (now US) citizens to live and work anywhere in the US (and vice versa)

    this would go a huge way to replacing the FoM rights we will lose in the EU. FoM in the US is as attractive as FoM in the EU (from a personal standpoint). In some way more attractive (I am terrible at languages) although the distance and time zones issue is a negative.

    - The UK would become part of the US internal market for goods and services,

    The USA is one of only 2 other markets comparable to the EU (the other being China). Being part of that market would be a major economic plus, although the distance issue would be a major drag on the arrangement.

    - The UK would become the biggest economy in the USA, eclipsing California.

    However, this would mean that the UK would be a net contributor to US Federal funds (and the contributions would be much higher than EU contributions - California pays around 350million every 12 hours to the federal budget)

    however most interesting of all

    - As the most populous state by far the UK would have the largest number of seats in the House of Representatives (my fag packet cacls show the UK around 56 reps vs Cali at 45ish) making it the most influential state.

    I'm not advocating or even supporting this situation, merely pointing out the process would be two way transaction.

    Obviously it would have a profound impact on all areas of the UK (constitution, money, healthcare, culture, rights etc)

    But less obviously UK would have a major impact on the politics of USA (to the point it is highly likely many of the current US states would resist the UK joining).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,467
    Thanks
    326
    Thanked 401 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post

    The idea is floated of the UK becoming the 51st state of the USA......
    If that ever became a reality I suspect there would be a significant number of people leaving Britain, me included.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,253
    Thanks
    1,550
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    cool. I get to vote for trump after all ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 212 Times in 178 Posts
    I dont think the UK people would like it simply because they would have to work harder.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,467
    Thanks
    326
    Thanked 401 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    cool. I get to vote for trump after all ...
    He is visiting Britain in December.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    391
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 69 Times in 51 Posts
    Great, regain sovereignty from one lot and then give it away to another lot. No thanks.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to cassie For This Useful Post:

    lankou (06-02-2019)

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,576
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 544 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    Great, regain sovereignty from one lot and then give it away to another lot. No thanks.
    It isn't going to happen only in the mind of the Yanks.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 197 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    It isn't going to happen only in the mind of the Yanks.
    and some hard Brexiters like Fox.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Heart of England
    Posts
    9,023
    Thanks
    1,649
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,084 Posts
    We have a conspiracy section on the forum, perhaps we now need a fantasy forum, too.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,135
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    Quick thought experiment (this is only tenuously related to Brexit)

    The UK has Hard Brexited, stuck 2 fingers up at the EU, not paid any financial settlement blah blah blah and is now trading on WTO terms only.

    The idea is floated of the UK becoming the 51st state of the USA......

    For my part there are some clear (and massive) disadvantages to this arrangement, which I won't focus on.

    However there are some intriguing positives.

    - Freedom of movement for UK (now US) citizens to live and work anywhere in the US (and vice versa)

    this would go a huge way to replacing the FoM rights we will lose in the EU. FoM in the US is as attractive as FoM in the EU (from a personal standpoint). In some way more attractive (I am terrible at languages) although the distance and time zones issue is a negative.

    - The UK would become part of the US internal market for goods and services,

    The USA is one of only 2 other markets comparable to the EU (the other being China). Being part of that market would be a major economic plus, although the distance issue would be a major drag on the arrangement.

    - The UK would become the biggest economy in the USA, eclipsing California.

    However, this would mean that the UK would be a net contributor to US Federal funds (and the contributions would be much higher than EU contributions - California pays around 350million every 12 hours to the federal budget)

    however most interesting of all

    - As the most populous state by far the UK would have the largest number of seats in the House of Representatives (my fag packet cacls show the UK around 56 reps vs Cali at 45ish) making it the most influential state.

    I'm not advocating or even supporting this situation, merely pointing out the process would be two way transaction.

    Obviously it would have a profound impact on all areas of the UK (constitution, money, healthcare, culture, rights etc)

    But less obviously UK would have a major impact on the politics of USA (to the point it is highly likely many of the current US states would resist the UK joining).
    As long as we could deport all the self loathing liberals to somewhere they'd feel more at home, like say, Kazakistan, I'd go for it.

Similar Threads

  1. Blair warns against Corbyn 'experiment'
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 31-05-2016, 08:26 PM
  2. SWEDEN a social experiment
    By BLAKESMITH in forum Other Countries
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM
  3. Employment Experiment / Questions
    By Jim Franklin in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 13-03-2012, 12:30 AM
  4. An Interesting Experiment in Politics.....
    By Common Sense Party in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •