Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thought Experiment 51st State

Thanks

Thought Experiment 51st State

Quick thought experiment (this is only tenuously related to Brexit)

The UK has Hard Brexited, stuck 2 fingers up at the EU, not paid any financial settlement blah blah blah and is now trading on WTO terms only.

The idea is floated of the UK becoming the 51st state of the USA......

For my part there are some clear (and massive) disadvantages to this arrangement, which I won't focus on.

However there are some intriguing positives.

- Freedom of movement for UK (now US) citizens to live and work anywhere in the US (and vice versa)

this would go a huge way to replacing the FoM rights we will lose in the EU. FoM in the US is as attractive as FoM in the EU (from a personal standpoint). In some way more attractive (I am terrible at languages) although the distance and time zones issue is a negative.

- The UK would become part of the US internal market for goods and services,

The USA is one of only 2 other markets comparable to the EU (the other being China). Being part of that market would be a major economic plus, although the distance issue would be a major drag on the arrangement.

- The UK would become the biggest economy in the USA, eclipsing California.

However, this would mean that the UK would be a net contributor to US Federal funds (and the contributions would be much higher than EU contributions - California pays around 350million every 12 hours to the federal budget)

however most interesting of all

- As the most populous state by far the UK would have the largest number of seats in the House of Representatives (my fag packet cacls show the UK around 56 reps vs Cali at 45ish) making it the most influential state.

I'm not advocating or even supporting this situation, merely pointing out the process would be two way transaction.

Obviously it would have a profound impact on all areas of the UK (constitution, money, healthcare, culture, rights etc)

But less obviously UK would have a major impact on the politics of USA (to the point it is highly likely many of the current US states would resist the UK joining).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post

If that ever became a reality I suspect there would be a significant number of people leaving Britain, me included.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    cool. I get to vote for trump after all ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    I dont think the UK people would like it simply because they would have to work harder.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    cool. I get to vote for trump after all ...
    He is visiting Britain in December.

Thanks
    Great, regain sovereignty from one lot and then give it away to another lot. No thanks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cassie For This Useful Post:

lankou (06-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    Great, regain sovereignty from one lot and then give it away to another lot. No thanks.
    It isn't going to happen only in the mind of the Yanks.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
    It isn't going to happen only in the mind of the Yanks.
    and some hard Brexiters like Fox.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,750 Times in 1,252 Posts
    We have a conspiracy section on the forum, perhaps we now need a fantasy forum, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    Quick thought experiment (this is only tenuously related to Brexit)

The UK has Hard Brexited, stuck 2 fingers up at the EU, not paid any financial settlement blah blah blah and is now trading on WTO terms only.

For my part there are some clear (and massive) disadvantages to this arrangement, which I won't focus on.

However there are some intriguing positives.

- Freedom of movement for UK (now US) citizens to live and work anywhere in the US (and vice versa)

this would go a huge way to replacing the FoM rights we will lose in the EU. FoM in the US is as attractive as FoM in the EU (from a personal standpoint). In some way more attractive (I am terrible at languages) although the distance and time zones issue is a negative.

- The UK would become part of the US internal market for goods and services,

The USA is one of only 2 other markets comparable to the EU (the other being China). Being part of that market would be a major economic plus, although the distance issue would be a major drag on the arrangement.

- The UK would become the biggest economy in the USA, eclipsing California.

However, this would mean that the UK would be a net contributor to US Federal funds (and the contributions would be much higher than EU contributions - California pays around 350million every 12 hours to the federal budget)

however most interesting of all

- As the most populous state by far the UK would have the largest number of seats in the House of Representatives (my fag packet cacls show the UK around 56 reps vs Cali at 45ish) making it the most influential state.

I'm not advocating or even supporting this situation, merely pointing out the process would be two way transaction.

Obviously it would have a profound impact on all areas of the UK (constitution, money, healthcare, culture, rights etc)

But less obviously UK would have a major impact on the politics of USA (to the point it is highly likely many of the current US states would resist the UK joining).
    As long as we could deport all the self loathing liberals to somewhere they'd feel more at home, like say, Kazakistan, I'd go for it.