Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How About

Thanks

How About

I am sick to death of constantly defending the leave position as if we criminals.
    How about we put the Remainers on the back foot and they tell us what is so great about staying / being in the EU?

THIS IS ABOUT WHAT IS GOOD IN THE EU NOT WHAT IS BAD ABOUT BREXIT.
    I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

Borchester (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 776 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I am sick to death of constantly defending the leave position as if we criminals.
    How about we put the Remainers on the back foot and they tell us what is so great about staying / being in the EU?

If you talk to young people all they can say if 'free movement of people.'

Thanks
    This could be a very slow thread!
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 1,084 Posts
    We get 4 billion pounds lavished upon us by the EU.
    And, this only costs us £13 billion, so that's good ennit!

Thanks

Perhaps we can start with the general benefits, and move into UK-specifics where requested. And these are only off the top of my head, I could probably write several pages of stuff here :

- The emergence of Europe from almost perpetual conflict to a harmonious, co-operative market and political partnership of nations.

- The arrest of the decline of individual European nations in the 20th century by pooling together as a collective entity -- in a world where Europe needs to maintain weight versus the USA, China, Russia and the emerging economic power blocs. This weight also gives the EU nations significant clout in leveraging beneficial trade deals globally.

- Access for businesses to the single market, allowing for relatively easy conduct of commerce across 28 nations which once would have required compliance with the entire myriad of diverging laws and regulations of 28 different frameworks. This also promotes investment from abroad for companies seeking to access the single market.

- The ease of moving goods around the bloc -- with particular positive implications for the UK as an island nation as regards its continental links at Dover-Calais etc.

- The ability of countries like Ireland and the Eastern bloc to emerge from poverty and underdevelopment, thus creating new and valuable markets for businesses in the historically wealthier EU countries.

- Provision of a political forum, via the institutions, for European nations to debate and negotiate measures which work to their mutual benefit . . . rather than the old system of the UK, France, and Germany arguing with eachother and the smaller nations getting caught in the crossfire.

- The ability of EU citizens to live, work and travel with ease across the EU -- opening up international opportunities for people (particularly young people) to gain experience abroad and for companies to be able to send employees around the bloc with relative ease.

- The development of pan-European consumer rights and standards of products, as well as workers' rights.

- EU criminal justice measures provide an integrated security network in fighting crime and terrorism.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    This could be a very slow thread!
    1. Tariff free acess to all EU 27 Markets

2. Advantages - bigger power when it comes to negotiating trade or other international agreements than the countries would individually.

3. Better Regulatory enviroment and consistent regulations and standards across the EU making trade easier.

4. Free movement of people across the EU

5. Cost savings due to a lot of items being completed as a group rather than each individual country doing their own.

6. EU is now the court of last resort, which can help as it in effect helps standardise laws and regulations across the EU, this firstly helps companies set up businesses easier as generally rules and regs are more standard and also allows people to move more freely and to be assured that in general the rights they had in their own country are closely alligned with all other member states.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Try becoming a remainer and see how you like being labelled a 'traitor' then.

OK what's good about being in the EU?

1) EU citizenship, which carries the right to travel, live, work and do business anywhere within the EU. Outside the EU, British people would only be able to do those things by permission. Travel would probably not be affected that much but the other three things would become more difficult. But it gets worse, because a significant number of British people will be able to keep their EU citizenship by claiming citizenship of another EU country. To claim Irish citizenship all you need is one grandparent born anywhere on the island of Ireland or to have been born anywhere on the island of Ireland yourself. So anyone born in Northern Ireland would be able to keep EU citizenship (including DUP leader Arleen Foster, should she wish). After Brexit, how long before job adverts include "EU citizenship an advantage." This would create a substantial new elite in British society, based partly on whereabouts in the UK you're born - almost like a form of apartheid.

2) The single market. The EU operates as a trading block, which we're currently part of. This allows for free movement of goods and services within the EU and it has negotiated trade deals with other countries around the world. If we leave the single market we need to negotiate a new deal with the EU, which is what all the fuss is about at the moment. But there's more . . . Leaving the EU means we leave all the deals the EU has with the other countries of the world too and we'll need to negotiate new ones or go to a disadvantageous default situation.

3) Pooling of resources. The EU has many agencies and projects where the pooling of resources saves individual countries time money. Crash testing of cars is a good example, as are various scientific research projects and the EU-wide satnav system. If we leave the EU we'll have to do all these things ourselves, duplicating what the EU is doing or do without.

4) Making a common cause. While there have been tensions and minor conflicts within the EU, like the Catalonia trouble in Spain, it's generally believed that the EU has helped bring the member nations together and possibly prevent conflict. There are two potential conflict situations involving the UK that could be triggered by leaving the EU - Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. If things get nasty in either of those places, the EU is likely to back its member states, i.e. the Republic of Ireland, should it be drawn into any conflict in Northern Ireland, and Spain over Gibraltar.

5) The Euro currency. Of course Britain isn't part of the Eurozone but we've seen how much easier it is to have a common currency that can be used in most of our neighbouring countries. That advantage will carry on, but being outside the EU means we'll never have the option of adopting the Euro here, which I think we should have done at the start. Eurosceptics made a pastime of predicting the collapse of the Euro but it hasn't happened.

6) Influence and compliance with the EU. If we leave the EU we lose most of the influence we currently have over its decision making process. But in the real world we'll still need to comply with many EU regulations. The Great Repeal Act was passed to enable all the EU laws and regulations that apply here to pass, unchanged, into UK domestic law. Without that happening, the EU laws simply wouldn't apply after Brexit (e.g. such as lorry drivers' hours limits) and there would be nothing in their place. The EU laws have passed into domestic law unchanged, since there wasn't time to review them. The idea is that they can be changed in the future but my guess is that the nation will be so tired of Brexit that most of those laws will be left untouched indefinitely.

7) EU funding. Even if the UK has been a net contributor to the EU, deprived areas in the UK have benefited from EU funded projects. The principle of equalising living standards around the EU might be hard on net contributors at the moment but in the future the whole of the EU would benefit from better living standards throughout its whole area.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks
    Try being a leaver and being called a racist, bigoted, an idiot, stupid, delusional, thick, didn't understand what they were voting for because they're foolish - and that's just coming from politicians and comedians.

It saddens me that we live in a so-called civilised society and yet more and more people cannot accept another person's view. Whenever I get into conversations with people who voted remain, not very often I might add as it the biggest thing to cause an argument, it's always them who start shouting and ranting. I have no interest in discussing anything with people who can't debate sensibly. There are good reason for staying and good reasons for leaving, we were given a vote, and people voted for what they thought would be the best. Leave won.

It would be better if everyone got behind the country, that way it will succeed and that is for the good of everyone.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I can't say that I am overly bothered.

There was a Remainer handing out leaflets outside the supermarket the other day and my first thought was why don't they have poop scoops to pick this sort of thing up. But by and large Leavers are harmless. After all, most of them are ready to sell out their nation rather than go to the bother of showing a pastport at a border post. Such people are pretty contemptible, but no real worry.