Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Another shooting in the US

Thanks

Another shooting in the US

In Louisiana, five dead including parents of the shooter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47023532

I don't know what the answer is to all this, another divisive subject.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassie View Post
    In Louisiana, five dead including parents of the shooter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47023532

I don't know what the answer is to all this, another divisive subject.
    There is an answer,strict gun control,its convincing a lot of yanks the benefit,were the same gun laws here (or lack of them) and the divide of brexit our murder rate would rocket.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    There is an answer,strict gun control,its convincing a lot of yanks the benefit,were the same gun laws here (or lack of them) and the divide of brexit our murder rate would rocket.
    Tighter gun laws would be the best thing you'd think, but that's where the emotive bit comes in, half want it half don't!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,330 Posts
    The USA have 2.2 million people in prison. Obviously they need to either lock more people up who are dangerous and/or let some of those out who are not.
    0.65% of the population are in prison!
    Mental health care has a lot to answer for.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do not think that last bit is remotely an accurate portrayal of reality.

Talking to my 90 year old great aunt recently she seems quite sprightly for her years and shows none of the symptons of what took mum down a fortnight ago, and is quite insistent the country has never been so fundamentally and vehemently split on an issue for quite a while, certainly not over going into the eec in 73, certainly not over decimalisation, and she reckons the last time we were this divided, was when Mrs Simpson took down the King.

Now, I think Marge has been cruelly depicted ......

Ahem.

Let's try again.

The half joke i made up there is perhaps a reasonable start at making the point i wish to. Utter the phrase Mrs Simpson in front of most of the snowflake millennial generation, and they instantly think of a blue haired long suffering wife of a nuclear power plant worker seemingly condemned by the radiation to never seeing her children grow up

Seriously, my great aunt reckons the last time the country was this divided and this up in arms about it, was over the abdication of Edward.

And I put it to you there were a HELL of a lot of guns knocking round the country then, and yet, how many murders were there over the issue ???

But yes, we've done the gun control thing lots and lots of times and there's nothing we have not said about it. I have no solutions (well, i have one, but it's a bit radical and it will require us to give our rogue colony a bloody good slapping down, but the back taxes from 1776 should sort out our brexit fee)
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    I think that the first thing to do is look at the 2nd Amendment, in its entirety rather than be selective. To me, the solution is there in black and white, although I know that the NRA et al would never agree.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If looking on the web, I know not scientific, people seem to think that the 2nd Amendment is about the right to bear arms, but never mention it in connection with a well regulated militia. I suspect that the government would actually far rather a few mad men being tooled up than a lot of well regulated militia! There were those crackpots in Michigan who thought that they were all Rambos defending the hono(u)r of the nation. But the fact is, that the constitution doesn't give carte blanche to private gun ownership outside of a well regulated militia.

I think the UK gun laws are on balance, pretty good. Weapons whose primary purpose is to kill people are banned. Semi and full auto centre fire, handguns, etc I know some target shooters complain a lot about handguns, but so be it.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Thanks
    End rampant global capitalism,where you need to depress the public constantly until they buy what you are selling.The only way they can get a short term fix.Even the adverts tell you so.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    We're keeping our guns just in case we have to violently remove a tyrannical regime.

A side benefit is that our guns deter criminals from attacking and help to protect us. The downside is that accidental shootings occur and, of course, criminals use them to commit murder. As well, sometimes good people lose it and do something terrible with their guns.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    We're keeping our guns just in case we have to violently remove a tyrannical regime.

A myth, you already have a tyrannical regime that has A10C "Warthog" ground attack aircraft. You are out gunned if push ever came to shove.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boggart View Post
    I think that the first thing to do is look at the 2nd Amendment, in its entirety rather than be selective. To me, the solution is there in black and white, although I know that the NRA et al would never agree.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If looking on the web, I know not scientific, people seem to think that the 2nd Amendment is about the right to bear arms, but never mention it in connection with a well regulated militia. I suspect that the government would actually far rather a few mad men being tooled up than a lot of well regulated militia! There were those crackpots in Michigan who thought that they were all Rambos defending the hono(u)r of the nation. But the fact is, that the constitution doesn't give carte blanche to private gun ownership outside of a well regulated militia.

I think the UK gun laws are on balance, pretty good. Weapons whose primary purpose is to kill people are banned. Semi and full auto centre fire, handguns, etc I know some target shooters complain a lot about handguns, but so be it.
    America's gun laws go back to the creation of the U.S. Some areas, which are controlled by the left, have very strict gun-control. Those are usually the most violent and criminally plagued parts of our nation. The rest of us conservative Americans are NOT going to give up our guns.