Thread: The EU: More united than ever (El País)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,588 Posts

The EU: More united than ever (El País)

Worth a read, although I did note they have already reduced the number of countries in the EU to 27!
    https://elpais.com/elpais/2019/01/24...12_044777.html
    El País truth or propaganda?
    Is the EU more united than ever?

All posts as an ordinary member unless marked mod notice.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Yeah a good read,more united? Not sure but we certainly aren't.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Yeah a good read,more united? Not sure but we certainly aren't.
    "this is the first time in 500 years that britain has not managed to divide the continent"

Sometimes, i think we should have left the four of the six countries we rescued from the other two. to find out the hard way what sort of ever closer union the germans had in mind. Speaking as a six foot three blue eyed blonde with a norwegian great great great great grandad, I'm having problems seeing a downside myself...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue" (Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929")

Thanks
    Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,588 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    "this is the first time in 500 years that britain has not managed to divide the continent"

Sometimes, i think we should have left the four of the six countries we rescued from the other two. to find out the hard way what sort of ever closer union the germans had in mind. Speaking as a six foot three blue eyed blonde with a norwegian great great great great grandad, I'm having problems seeing a downside myself...
    Yes, that comment raised eyebrows. I thought it was Germany that managed to inflame 2 world wars and divided Europe, not to mention be responsible for the deaths of 100 million people in the ensuing carnage.

All posts as an ordinary member unless marked mod notice.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 Times in 2,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post

John the history of Europe is important but the reality is we are resented in that history by some even to the present day.

The French many who believe we deserted them at Dunkirk and for their humiliation of occupation (not to mention thwarting napoleon) the Germans for their defeats and Merkel calling us europes problem child,the Spainiards for the many defeats and that our empire was more successful than theirs and the affront that is Gib on their doorstep,the ROI and despite protestations to the contrary are loving the posturing and we'll be dictating to you now.

The empire long gone,I really don't see brexit harking back to that era despite all the finger pointing,what ordinary people have seen is a project they don't want to be part of, whilst many in the rest of the eu see an opportunity to even the score.

There are those too in this country ready to lie down and be walked over too,I was told on a,political prog the other day that is impossible to leave the eu we as are so woven in to it,well it isn't impossible but it demonstrates a good reason to leave now.

There is of course the motivation to punish for leaving to deter any others and this issue has divided us but in the referendum leave won the day,Europe more united than ever? perhaps for now.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    John the history of Europe is important but the reality is we are resented in that history by some even to the present day.

The French many who believe we deserted them at Dunkirk and for their humiliation of occupation (not to mention thwarting napoleon) the Germans for their defeats and Merkel calling us europes problem child,the Spainiards for the many defeats and that our empire was more successful than theirs and the affront that is Gib on their doorstep,the ROI and despite protestations to the contrary are loving the posturing and we'll be dictating to you now.

The empire long gone,I really don't see brexit harking back to that era despite all the finger pointing,what ordinary people have seen is a project they don't want to be part of, whilst many in the rest of the eu see an opportunity to even the score.

There are those too in this country ready to lie down and be walked over too,I was told on a,political prog the other day that is impossible to leave the eu we as are so woven in to it,well it isn't impossible but it demonstrates a good reason to leave now.

There is of course the motivation to punish for leaving to deter any others and this issue has divided us but in the referendum leave won the day,Europe more united than ever? perhaps for now.
    well that's fair enough that we are not exactly flavour of the millennium, after all, I hate most of them too.

however, it's a wildly innacurate piece of toss.

the fact is that far from being United, several of the 27 other supposedly sovereign states are far from United over a number of things. The rabid punishment is the only course we will permit merchants are in fact driving a wedge between themselves and the basket case countries who will need our English tourist pounds all the more when our EU contributions cease and someone else has to divvy up, or leave the current recipients of our enforced largesse out of pocket.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue" (Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929")