Thread: Bercow

Thanks

Bercow

Delete if this has been asked before and I may have misunderstood this so I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong, that's fine. I heard them say that several amendments will be put before Parliament on Monday, some of them I'm sure will scupper Brexit, including Cooper's bid to stop a no-deal Brexit. I think they said that Bercow will decide which ones will be put forward for debate. If that is so, why does one man have so much power, in this instance, more that the PM, in what is supposedly a democratic Parliament?

All posts as an ordinary member unless marked mod notice.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,809 Times in 2,070 Posts
    A lot of what goes on afaik is by precedent or perhaps convention,what I think of Bercow is unprintable.

Remainers on here often point to the flaws in our democracy when we complain of that of the eu,to an extent they're right,however should we ever leave that benighted Union where we had no chance of change the work should start on reform to ours to ensure that what is the mother of parliaments truly represents the people and those that sit there are accountable to the electorate and some sort of bill of rights is written and observed in law.

Just my opinion.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,589 Posts
    Some bills put before parliament are amendable, so I understand. Other bills are not amendable.
    There are rules to parliament which the speaker has a duty to moderate decisions and interpret rules and regulations.
    Recently he allowed a vote when it was thought there was no amendment allowed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46818428
    So Mr Bercow cannot be trusted, it seems, so we have to be very careful who we put into that position in future. It has to be a person who is properly neutral. Mr Bercow is pro-remain according to the stickers in his car, which are his wife's, of course.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Some bills put before parliament are amendable, so I understand. Other bills are not amendable.
    There are rules to parliament which the speaker has a duty to moderate decisions and interpret rules and regulations.
    Recently he allowed a vote when it was thought there was no amendment allowed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46818428
    So Mr Bercow cannot be trusted, it seems, so we have to be very careful who we put into that position in future. It has to be a person who is properly neutral. Mr Bercow is pro-remain according to the stickers in his car, which are his wife's, of course.
    I thought he'd done something 'improper' and got away with it, that's why these amendments worry me.

Thanks
    I believe these amendments are not enforceable in law.

I may be mistaken but I’m sure that was said after the last amendment.
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    we have to be very careful who we put into that position in future.
    We don't put people in that position.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,589 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BKS View Post
    We don't put people in that position.
    We might, soon, when the populist revolution is done.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry For This Useful Post:

Sheepy (26-01-2019), Stevlin (26-01-2019)

Thanks
    I still don't understand how one man, who is suppose to be neutral can have such a say in an issue like Brexit. He can chose to put the amendments through for vote that all support remainers, no Brexit, stopping no deal and having a new referendum. There's no balance. I just don't understand it.

Also, I really don't understand how extending Article 50 is helpful in anyway except to force another referendum. Even if another referendum was agreed now it couldn't be agreed by Parliament before March 29th, so Cooper is buying the time she needs to push though another referendum. Business wants certainty, delaying Article 50 just prolongs the uncertainty.