Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Food Banks go...?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    Your absolutely right, and I will take note of your request, even if others don't choose to.

Back to the question in hand. People on benefits are given more than enough money to purchase wholesome food, and that is fact.

That is total rubbish, I challenge you to provide credible researched evidence for your contentions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I think it's time to put you on ignore, Know it. You are offensive.
    He is well beyond offensive.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    That is total rubbish, I challenge you to provide credible researched evidence for your contentions.

- - - Updated - - -
    So you believe that benefit payments are just a figure that the government come up with, and aren't based on what a person needs to live. An interesting theory, but not one I would go along with

He is well beyond offensive.
    Thank You

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boggart View Post
    And once the peasantry has been despatched with, who is left to do the low skilled jobs?
    Robots.
    Toiler on the sea

Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 821 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Lotsov View Post
    Robots.
    Is that Romanian robots ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    Is that Romanian robots ?
    At a guess, I'd say in the future, more likely than British robots.
    Toiler on the sea

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    Your absolutely right, and I will take note of your request, even if others don't choose to.

Back to the question in hand. People on benefits are given more than enough money to purchase wholesome food, and that is fact. The government have done a lot of research concerning how much it costs to live. Perhaps the amount these people receive isn't enough to maintain the quality of life they would like, and some cases they they prefer to spend their money on pointless trinkets and toys. On Friday I was having lunch with my wife in a local pub. On the next table there was man speaking rather loudly on his mobile phone. He was on the phone to the benefits line asking about his money. In the other hand he had a pint of beer. On the table there were three empty pint glasses and an empty plate that he had obviously been eating from. After he had finished his conversation he popped outside for a cigarette. I couldn't help wondering if at some stage he may also be visiting the foodbank?
    I refer you to the case of Matthew Parris which you may find documented on Wiki if you look hard enough, and in the archives of Granada TV where the footage is brought out from time to time to mock the terminally stupid.

It is a fact that when I was somewhere towards the end of my secondary education, the UK ITV Granada region documentary programme "World In Action" challenged the outspoken then MP, whose views on the amount of what was then called "supplementary benefit" available to a single man was akin to yours, to live on it.

They put him in a council flat, took away his credit cards, emptied his wallet and gave him the amount of money a single man who had not earned enough to pay national insurance for the time required to now be able to receive UB40 unemployment benefit would receive upon signing up for it. And left him with a well fed film crew.

The next few days were entertaining, as Parris found the most he could actually afford to buy AND THEN COOK with his meagre amount of money (for the money was not just needed to buy the food, but also to run the small gas ring or vastly expensive electric grill, no microwaves in those days) was eggs. chips and baked beans.

After a diet largely of this, he was left destitute on I believe the saturday afternoon, cold, hungry and sitting in the dark in a single bed flat he had no money to heat, or have illuminated, his prepayment meter having run out. The screen caption shown as the image faded to black reminded viewers if this were a person in these straits for real, they would now be cold and hungry all night and all day Sunday...

And yet the bar steward had the audacity when interviewed just before the programme ended to claim this was a perfectly acceptable thing to expect a single unemployed man to endure.

And a few years later, when i was in my nice warm home with the bills being paid by my job finding better ways to kill people for Maggie T, I found to my utter amazement this knob was back accepting a SECOND bite of the same cherry, once again taken to a bedsit of the kind the then growing number of unemployed single men in the country were living in, again given the amount of money the government were insistent was sufficient for a single person's needs, and again left to get on with it.

And this time he failed even more spectacularly, for he ran out of money by the thursday night, and to their credit (and in some degree his too) he actually remained cold, hungry and miserable in that flat until the saturday afternoon when they brought him back into the studio, and grilled him onhis ideology.

He admitted he had failed, not once, but twice, to feed himself and keep himself warm on the meagre sum the government gave an unemployed single person.

He admited he had no need at that time to think of the outlay he would have to make preparation for, if his situation endured, as it had for the millions then jobless thanks to Thatcherism, for clothes as they wore out, of obtaining new kitchen appliances as they broke, nor had he made any provision for the cost of travelling to find work.

And yet he still maintained this was an acceptable way to treat the unemployed made unemployed by his party's political ideology.

From time to time, I feel lankou goes over the top in his condemnation of the tory party and its treatment of the unemployed

And then I remember these two documentaries, and Matthew Parris sitting cold, destitute and hungry in a flat he cannot heat, and in which he has no food even if he had the means to cook it

And in those days there were no food banks.
    Last edited by johnofgwent; 12-02-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Android Spelling Chukka Needed Shooting
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to johnofgwent For This Useful Post:

lankou (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post

From time to time, I feel lankou goes over the top in his condemnation of the tory party and its treatment of the unemployed

And then I remember these two documentaries, and Matthew Parris sitting cold, destitute and hungry in a flat he cannot heat, and ion which he has no food even if he had the means to cook it

And in those days there were no food banks.
    It is not just the unemployed, it is the working poor, disabled people and other vulnerable groups.
    Hopefully the Tories are starting to realise that harsh treatment of those groups will be a factor in Tory marginals at the next general elections.
    Amber Rudd must have hated making this confession in the House of Commons yesterday :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47203389

Amber Rudd links universal credit to rise in food bank use

• 11 February 2019

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is not just the unemployed, it is the working poor, disabled people and other vulnerable groups.
    Hopefully the Tories are starting to realise that harsh treatment of those groups will be a factor in Tory marginals at the next general elections.
    Amber Rudd must have hated making this confession in the House of Commons yesterday :-

• 11 February 2019

Amber Rudd will receive a payoff equivalent to fifty years JSA and a pension ten times ours combined after whatever retribution strikes, and anyone who sees a political 'confession as anything other than demonstrating their PR worthiness to the next company they take a non exec directorship of might like to look at this bridge I've got for sale ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Amber Rudd will receive a payoff equivalent to fifty years JSA and a pension ten times ours combined after whatever retribution strikes, .
    There are reasons she and others who are or have been Tory ministers at the DWP have 24/7/365 armed protection. (With the exception of Mike Penning who was shocked at the harm the DWP was doing, and was deemed as being too soft for the job.)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

• 11 February 2019

I feel i should point out this may be the case, but in the context of the post i sought to counter, it seemed apt to narrow the focus with the specific example of a Tory singularly failing to achieve what he said his party policies and practices permitted, not once, but twice.
    --