Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: UK council tax

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    That pretty much explains it all. If you don't understand this, go to the Citizen's Advice Bureau, they have highly trained expert staff in this field.
    I understand it , it is lazy employees on the council tax phone lines who say they will write down notes and things are ok , when they're not . I rung them and explained everything long before the summons and the person I spoke to said it was sorted and they would amend it . Then the next contact I receive is a summons . I am not paying the summons and do not care ! They can send the bailiffs as I own nothing what so ever apart from a single bed . It is a waste of my time and the courts time in a situation they will never benefit from . Intelligent people who work would of chased up the DWP and realize that the council tax benefit should of been paid .
    When the Universal credit system came out , the intentions was to merge the departments but they left out council tax which is a big mistake that causes problems .

P.s Apparently they have also stopped my rent benefits although on my last appointment the advisor assured me it would be paid .

Thanks
    Itís seems strange that, through taxes, people feel pressured and stressed by the very institutions which are working for them. Council tax, hmrc etc all work supposedly for the public. So do the government. Ultimately, taxes go to pay for the funny money created by the Bank of England, which is not backed by anything than an empty promise. Iíd send your own promissory note for the amount, adding the condition that you will make good on the promise at such time the Bank of England make good on their promise(s), which of course they canít. You canít beat their system (unless everyone would like to participate in a bank run to expose the scams?) so why not join them???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    The Poll Tax was the fairest system. Our present system insists the same property with five people living in it pays the same as ten people living in it. Regrettably charges were left to local councils, rather than centralised by government. Needless to say the local councils sore this as a cash cow and charged a fortune. If the charges had been reasonable and sensible, we would have a system that is fair and works. That said, people who do not pay their council tax under the present system should be put in stocks and then imprisoned.

Well, you might think that.

The reality was that it hugely benefitted the residents of the London Borough of Westminster, who, when Norman Lamont handed out a once-time-only £150 rebate in the 1992 budget, paid for that year by a 2.5% hike in VAT which never went away and in fact got hiked again to 20%, found to their anger that they were short changed £10 as they were only paying £140.

I know this because a particular loudmouth I worked with at a Milton Keynes Client from 1990-1992 (who I think eventually went to prison for tax evasion, having been found to have hired a light plane to let him dump aluminium suitcases full of money withdrawn from his offshore bank over a relatives farm so as to avoid the tax demand everyone else who worked in Saudi found in the post when they legally imported their tax free saudi gains) and who while freelancing with me drove up to Milton Keynes daily from his Westminster Flat bought with the contents of those suitcases in his Lotus Elise (also bought with the contents of the suitcases), whinged long and loud that while I received a £150 rebate from the £350 Newport Council were ripping me off, be was not receiving the full rebate as he only paid £140 in total.

As you might imagine, when his contract ran out, everyone went to his leaving do, in the same way there are some funerals you absolutely MUST go to in order to ascertain for yourself the bar steward really is dead and not faking it for tax reasons...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    Well, you might think that.

The reality was that it hugely benefitted the residents of the London Borough of Westminster, who, when Norman Lamont handed out a once-time-only £150 rebate in the 1992 budget, paid for that year by a 2.5% hike in VAT which never went away and in fact got hiked again to 20%, found to their anger that they were short changed £10 as they were only paying £140.

I know this because a particular loudmouth I worked with at a Milton Keynes Client from 1990-1992 (who I think eventually went to prison for tax evasion, having been found to have hired a light plane to let him dump aluminium suitcases full of money withdrawn from his offshore bank over a relatives farm so as to avoid the tax demand everyone else who worked in Saudi found in the post when they legally imported their tax free saudi gains) and who while freelancing with me drove up to Milton Keynes daily from his Westminster Flat bought with the contents of those suitcases in his Lotus Elise (also bought with the contents of the suitcases), whinged long and loud that while I received a £150 rebate from the £350 Newport Council were ripping me off, be was not receiving the full rebate as he only paid £140 in total.

As you might imagine, when his contract ran out, everyone went to his leaving do, in the same way there are some funerals you absolutely MUST go to in order to ascertain for yourself the bar steward really is dead and not faking it for tax reasons...
    The poll tax in principle was by far the fairest system, it was just badly executed. Leaving the councils to decide how much to charge was like putting a kid in a sweet shop and telling him to take what he wanted.