Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Blocking Brexit could cause far-right surge - Grayling

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,026
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 41 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3

    Blocking Brexit could cause far-right surge - Grayling

    The BBC reports Not leaving the EU could end centuries of "moderate" politics in the UK, the transport secretary says.


    More...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,449
    Thanks
    1,611
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    no sh1t sherlock...

    but "centuries of moderate politics"

    bull

    the scenario he paints as being centuries old is actually barely older than 75.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,464
    Thanks
    1,770
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Best not to block Brexit then. We won't have to undo the creation of democracy then, will we. Nobody wants the upheaval or the possible bloodshed. So keep to democracy and all should be OK. The electorate will have some faith in the system.
    If that goes, all bets are off.

  4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Barry For This Useful Post:

    Borchester (12-01-2019), johnofgwent (12-01-2019), scott777 (13-01-2019), Sheepy (12-01-2019), Streetwalker (13-01-2019), T00ts (12-01-2019)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    5,331
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 536 Times in 450 Posts
    Brexit’s Project Fear shifts up a gear...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,029
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 255 Times in 211 Posts
    Not leaving the EU could end centuries of "moderate" politics in the UK
    Hardly surprising - after all if you start ignoring the votes of the electorate then it makes sense for them to take direct action.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to El Jefe For This Useful Post:

    Borchester (12-01-2019), scott777 (13-01-2019)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,449
    Thanks
    1,611
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Brexit’s Project Fear shifts up a gear...
    well, the fact is that for about eight hundred years, ever since the monarchs who took over from william of normandy established a legal system with the keeper of the pleas of the crown and the keeper of the pleas of the commoner, there has been a counter to the argument that the only way to get your way is to rise up and slaughter the king and take their throne, and that is the system that allowed the grievances of the enfranchised to be heard. Now, the system's roots were not ideal, not least in the definition of the "enfranchised" and many say the way it has expanded to allow every man and his dog and a whole load of people who pay no tax at all and others that rock up at dover and demand a say in the way we do things is far from ideal too, but in the united kingdom in which we live, it seems to me there is, today, a choice ...

    To use murder, mayhem, destruction and fear to get political power, for as sinn fein's military wing and plaid cymru's sons of glyndwr showed us, this clearly works

    Or to believe the system of voting for something will be respected.

    You may call it brexiteers ramping up project fear, but i call it simply falling back to a time-honoured tried and trusted method of getting ones way when parliament decides it is not going to listen, and right now, parliament is pretty clearly deciding to tell 52% of us to take a hike. And most of that 52% are not in hock to some bank for their continued well being and wil lhave few problems with the negative equity that will hit. I woncder if the millennial remainiacs with their six times salary mortgages are in the same boat ???
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Morayshire
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 206 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    right now, parliament is pretty clearly deciding to tell 52% of us to take a hike
    Over 16 million voted to Remain. The result was very close. Farage said before the Referendum that if Leave was defeated by 2% that would not be the end of the story. Why then is it so wrong for the Remainers to seek a re-run given the people had no idea what they were voting for. There was no details, nothing. As for violence. The Right rose in the 1930s and were firmly put in their place. I reckon if they try the same level of thuggery they will, again, be defeated.
    Then there is the fact that Scotland voted by a massive amount to Remain. Have we rallied the troops and begun a revolution because we are being forced out against our will? No! That little fact will be kept in store for Indyref 2. Our decision was ignored and our government disrespected. That will not be forgotten.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leaving the EUSSR
    Posts
    10,024
    Thanks
    2,289
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,640 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    Over 16 million voted to Remain. The result was very close. Farage said before the Referendum that if Leave was defeated by 2% that would not be the end of the story. Why then is it so wrong for the Remainers to seek a re-run given the people had no idea what they were voting for. There was no details, nothing. As for violence. The Right rose in the 1930s and were firmly put in their place. I reckon if they try the same level of thuggery they will, again, be defeated.
    Then there is the fact that Scotland voted by a massive amount to Remain. Have we rallied the troops and begun a revolution because we are being forced out against our will? No! That little fact will be kept in store for Indyref 2. Our decision was ignored and our government disrespected. That will not be forgotten.
    Oh I see when your vote is ignored that's awful,the only thing you have right is that if brexit is overturned it will not be forgotten.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Morayshire
    Posts
    983
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 206 Times in 191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Oh I see when your vote is ignored that's awful,the only thing you have right is that if brexit is overturned it will not be forgotten.
    If it is overturned it will be through a referendum. That is, the people will decide based on facts not a mere idea concocted from someone's imagination. Are you really suggesting there will be a violent upsurge from the Right? Do you think that will be the end of it? All right thinking people will likely retaliate just as happened in the 1930s when the Mosleyites were thoroughly thrashed!
    In fact, where was I wrong in my last post?
    Over 16million people did vote remain
    Farage did say he would push for a referendum if the result was close i.e. Remain won https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...endum-36306681
    The Right were firmly stopped in their tracks in the 1930s
    Scotland voted 62-38 Remain.
    We didn't turn to violence when we lost Indyref
    The only thing you say that I got right I didn't say at all.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leaving the EUSSR
    Posts
    10,024
    Thanks
    2,289
    Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,640 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    Are you really suggesting there will be a violent upsurge from the Right? Do you think that will be the end of it? All right thinking people will likely retaliate just as happened in the 1930s when the Mosleyites were thoroughly thrashed!
    Where in my answer did I suggest that?you are the one making things up I didn't say.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-09-2018, 06:04 PM
  2. FM 'misled Holyrood' over bed blocking
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-09-2015, 05:01 PM
  3. SNP Surge
    By morayloon in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •