Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Not even a Labour MP can say it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    Phantom, I have nothing against disabled people, and believe society and the government should support them. However, I also believe that they should help themselves, and the government in this country need to do more to clamp down on those who are conning the system and the tax payer. Allow me to give you a few examples

1) A very good friend of mine has a son with a relatively mild disability, but is given full disability allowance for him. He uses this money for a motobility car. My friend has excess of £1m in the bank, and if he didn't get the allowance he would run the same car using his own money. If you have a child that goes to school five miles away you will need a car, whether he is disabled or not.

2) A friend of ours had a bad stroke about 5 years ago. As result she stopped working for the council, and was given her full pension. On top of this she gets a whole host of government allowances. As a result her husband could give up work. Not long ago they had a world cruise, and stayed in a double balcony suite. This is something they couldn't have dreamt of when they both worked.

3) My wife goes to the gym 5 times a week with a woman who is registered disabled and has a motobility car. Apparently she has convinced the authorities she isn't fit enough to work.

4) I volunteer one day a week at an animal sanctuary. There is a guy there who works 4 days a week in order he gets his benefits. He also has a motobility vehicle. To be fair, if he could find work locally he would do it. My point is that he can carry out hard manual labour for 30 hrs a week, but the state are happy to give him a disability allowance.

5) A friends son went down the wrong path, and got hooked on drugs. The state give him a nice little one bedroom flat, he can afford to run a car, and still has enough money to buy drugs. He has been told in so many words, if he kicks the habit and finds work, the state will have to throw him out of his flat.

I actually have a few more examples, but I think I have made my point. You see, it's not always the claimant making false claims, it's the over generous policies of the government that are costing the tax payer a fortune.

I fully accept that you have nothing against the genuinly disabled and support their need for Government assistance!

We all can come up with examples, I’m sure, of people abusing the system, but I happen to belong to a group of over 200 disabled people, none of whom ‘cheat’ the system ie they are genuinely disabled and most are in need of help from the State.

There is another group of a similar size, each of whom suffers from MS , again with the majority needing assistance now, and even more in the future.

The M.N.D group is also quite large, and also there are those with varying other disabilities - I have a progressive disease and a whole bunch of stainless steel holding me together from losing an argument with a parachute and a concrete runway many years ago, but I only started claiming off the state after retirement , but not Motability!

Then , also in the area, there are probably half a dozen pasty eaters taking up space, and falsely claiming benefits- a pain in the butt, but a drop in the ocean , compared to the genuinely disabled, over 400 that I know of locally who do not deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the pasty eaters!

I have a lifetime of paying income tax and NI, and I don’t begrudge one penny piece of it going to help the genuinely disabled- most need it ,and more!

I’m off to my bunk as it’s coming up to midnight here and i’m back to the U.K. in the morning!.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I fully accept that you have nothing against the genuinly disabled and support their need for Government assistance!

We all can come up with examples, Iím sure, of people abusing the system, but I happen to belong to a group of over 200 disabled people, none of whom Ďcheatí the system ie they are genuinely disabled and most are in need of help from the State.

There is another group of a similar size, each of whom suffers from MS , again with the majority needing assistance now, and even more in the future.

The M.N.D group is also quite large, and also there are those with varying other disabilities - I have a progressive disease and a whole bunch of stainless steel holding me together from losing an argument with a parachute and a concrete runway many years ago, but I only started claiming off the state after retirement , but not Motability!

Then , also in the area, there are probably half a dozen pasty eaters taking up space, and falsely claiming benefits- a pain in the butt, but a drop in the ocean , compared to the genuinely disabled, over 400 that I know of locally who do not deserve to be tarred with the same brush as the pasty eaters!

I have a lifetime of paying income tax and NI, and I donít begrudge one penny piece of it going to help the genuinely disabled- most need it ,and more!

Iím off to my bunk as itís coming up to midnight here and iím back to the U.K. in the morning!.
    I am sorry to hear about your problems, and like I said, I believe we should look after our disabled people. If we didn't have to give the wrong people money, then perhaps we would have more left for those who actually deserve it. It's not just the people who are conning the state, it's also the state conning it's self. Perhaps if it were means tested it would be a start. I detailed a friend in my last post who has in addition of £1m in the bank, but he still gets benefits for his son. I don't blame him for claiming them, its all on the table, and I am sure I would do the same. Although his son does have a slight disability, he could certainly outrun me, so does that mean I should get benefits as well. My next door neighbour is in his 70s and gets a motobility car. He gets the benefit because he had it before state pension age, and it is therefore carried over. However, if someone of the same age now suffers from the same problem, that person wouldn't be entitled to the same benefit, so how crazy is that?

Thanks
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.