Thread: What has gone wrong with American democracy?

Thanks

What has gone wrong with American democracy?

Even a notorious pimp was inspired to associate himself with the head of state by calling himself “The Trump of Pahrump”, and got elected to Nevada’s state assembly after death. What has gone wrong with American democracy? What urgent actions should be taken to rectify the flaws and improve the democratic system?

Please refer to the following posts:

"Nevada ruled from the grave" at https://politicspoliticalforum.com/t...-threads/page2

"The Trump of Pahrump" at https://politicspoliticalforum.com/t...-threads/page3

"...not only the living but the dead can have the American Dream" at https://politicspoliticalforum.com/t...-threads/page5

Thanks
    American politics is now so polarised,I doubt there is any going back.We have tried to avoid the same thing in the UK where a few elitists make all the rules.Will we all end up like the French,most probably.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Blog Entries
    but why do.you say something has gone wrong?

The system did precisely what it was supposed to do

The U S A has half its electors signed up to a party that loathes white skin, and especiallyvwhite skin worn by men, to the point the first quality they look for when choosing a candidate is non whiteness and non maleness, with political policy and political capability a poor second....

The other half, who are generally the half taxed to death to pay for everything, find a bloke promising them a better deal.

Hell on earth ** I ** would have voted for trump for that alone. and bear in mind his campaign started when I thought it a fair bet my youngest was about to be a 21st century GI Bride (if that term applied to air force brides as well as army ones).

I was impressed with trumps promises and given the leanings of his opponent i would GLADLY have voted for him ...

If you don't like what the system delivers do what it says in the constitution and change it.

Oh hang on. That gets you on the wrong end of The Patriot Act
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    but why do.you say something has gone wrong?
    It is baffling why Americans can't find a good guy out of a population of over 328,000,000. Instead they elect a guy who made 7,645 false or misleading claims over 710 days. It shows the utter failure of democracy. Using an analogy, if somebody brings home a rotten apple after spending a whole day in a huge orchard, something must have gone terribly wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.af03148ab28f

http://www.worldometers.info/world-p...us-population/

I was impressed with trumps promises and given the leanings of his opponent i would GLADLY have voted for him …
    Well, it looks like you have been impressed with the wrong person. That guy has taken more than he promised. Please refer to the article at https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...t-of-interest/

In particular, note what the author said in conclusion:

"It's the Great American Heist, folks. All that's left to steal is the republic.."

If you don't like what the system delivers do what it says in the constitution and change it.

Oh hang on. That gets you on the wrong end of The Patriot Act
    My great friend, you are showing your confused mind here. Please note that to be patriotic to a single person like Trump is at the wrong end of The Patriotic Act.

Thanks
    There is no democracy in the United States. There is an oligarchy.
    This historically important study was conducted by Martin Gilens and Benjamin I. Page. In their article titled “Testing Theories of American Politics,” the authors clarify that their findings reflect the real degree of influence of US super-rich people on politics.
    The research shows that the theory of elites works in the USA, although the obtained results probably underestimate the influence of the American elite on politics. The preferences of rich or influential Americans in most cases are more influential on politics than the opinions of ordinary citizens. Were analyzed a lot of key moments in history, and the conclusions were just that. However, those conclusions are not accurate - in reality, the influence of elites on state policy may be even stronger.
    One way or another, this is the first scientific research in the world on whether the United States is a democracy in fact, and not only in words. Until recently, it was not possible to test conflicting theoretical predictions within the same statistical model, since some political decisions in the United States are made in a democratic society, some - as in the oligarchy, and some - an explosive mixture of both. The study used a unique data series, which includes key points in the history of the United States, starting in 1779.
    Despite the lack of data, the authors were able to conclude: the United States is an oligarchy in its pure form, and not a democratic society. American democracy is a fiction. The country is ruled by oligarchs - they solve important issues, they control the media. In other words, the United States, with all of its vaunted "democracy", is no different from most other "democratic" countries, where people are supposedly taking decisions.
    The study shows that "the opinion of the average American is zero and does not have a statistically significant effect on public policy."