Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NHS 10-year plan: Labour attacks Theresa May's proposals

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    As Cromwell said, blimey. I hope you are better.
    Thanks all - I'm working on it.
    My vote counts just as much as your's xx

Thanks
    I rely very heavily on the NHS, to control my disability, and would be long gone without dedicated and skilled NHS surgeons and nursing staff (losing an argument with a concrete runway ) - it is a Godsend , but it is not perfect, and is often quite badly managed & poorly financed, and in some areas, grossly inefficient ( I used to volunteer in a hospital, so have seen it from both sides ) but, poorly financed does not mean lack of funding, it means that funding is not being used to the best advantage of the patient, and chucking money at it is not the sole answer to the problems.

Inefficiency costs money, money which could go towards healthcare, but it will take an extremely brave government to tackle this inefficiency and impose quality management, because every time one tries improvement it is accused of a multitude of sins.

Health care funding has gone up dramatically, but is still not enough to satisfy the NHS 's terrific appetite for guzzling up public money, and with an ageing population, this appetite is likely to continue , but despite this, I would rather pay more in taxation for healthcare ,but not necessarily to the NHS, but perhaps into some form of Healthcare fund ?

The principle behind the formation of the NHS was 'Healthcare & Treatment for all provided 'free' by the state ', and this principle still applies, and will continue to apply.

Unfortunately, politicians of all parties have interfered , for purely political purposes in the main, using it as a political football, with Labour using it to score goals against the Tories, and the Tories being spineless in defence of their support for the NHS.

Just simply throwing good money at it , much of which is then wasted through inefficiency , is not the answer, and neither
    is constant interference in the management/ operation and organisation of the service, and further, neither is
    the seemingly constant threat of 'industrial action', by one group or another.

Privatisation, immigration, funding, junior doctors , 1% pay rises etc etc etc, seems to be the story of the modern NHS, and unfortunately, getting lost in alł of this 'argy bargy' is the patient!

Because let's not forget, the NHS was established as a service for 'patients' I.e . To provide free healthcare to those in need, and not , repeat not , as' a career path for staff', medical or otherwise, and certainly not something to be used by politicians & trade unions alike, to gain political points.

It is sad to see ,otherwise quite intelligent. people with a mental block when it comes to the NHS, and shutting out the truth, which for the sake of the patient & future healthcare, is that it has to change, it has to be more efficient, it has to be cost effective , it has to be rid of restrictive practices, and it has to be brought into the 21st. century, and this necessity applies whether it's a Tory or a Labour minister in charge.

It is not 'heaven ' or the 'garden of Eden' and Doctors are not 'Gods or Nurses ‘Angels' it is a service provider with highly educated, well trained and compassionate staff, & it is paid for by taxes, & not just 'income ' tax, and therefore should be accountable, & sentiment should not enter into the equation!

We can be eternally grateful for the care provided to us in our time of need, as I truly am, but that shouldn't cloud our judgement and just give in to every demand for more money.

It is also very 'odd' to my way of thinking that people say ' I'm prepared to pay more in taxes or even a bit upfront' in order to get a better service, but baulk at the idea of making efficiency savings and cutting waste.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I rely very heavily on the NHS, to control my disability, and would be long gone without dedicated and skilled NHS surgeons and nursing staff (losing an argument with a concrete runway ) - it is a Godsend , but it is not perfect, and is often quite badly managed & poorly financed, and in some areas, grossly inefficient ( I used to volunteer in a hospital, so have seen it from both sides ) but, poorly financed does not mean lack of funding, it means that funding is not being used to the best advantage of the patient, and chucking money at it is not the sole answer to the problems.

Inefficiency costs money, money which could go towards healthcare, but it will take an extremely brave government to tackle this inefficiency and impose quality management, because every time one tries improvement it is accused of a multitude of sins.

Health care funding has gone up dramatically, but is still not enough to satisfy the NHS 's terrific appetite for guzzling up public money, and with an ageing population, this appetite is likely to continue , but despite this, I would rather pay more in taxation for healthcare ,but not necessarily to the NHS, but perhaps into some form of Healthcare fund ?

The principle behind the formation of the NHS was 'Healthcare & Treatment for all provided 'free' by the state ', and this principle still applies, and will continue to apply.

Unfortunately, politicians of all parties have interfered , for purely political purposes in the main, using it as a political football, with Labour using it to score goals against the Tories, and the Tories being spineless in defence of their support for the NHS.

Just simply throwing good money at it , much of which is then wasted through inefficiency , is not the answer, and neither
    is constant interference in the management/ operation and organisation of the service, and further, neither is
    the seemingly constant threat of 'industrial action', by one group or another.

Privatisation, immigration, funding, junior doctors , 1% pay rises etc etc etc, seems to be the story of the modern NHS, and unfortunately, getting lost in alł of this 'argy bargy' is the patient!

Because let's not forget, the NHS was established as a service for 'patients' I.e . To provide free healthcare to those in need, and not , repeat not , as' a career path for staff', medical or otherwise, and certainly not something to be used by politicians & trade unions alike, to gain political points.

It is sad to see ,otherwise quite intelligent. people with a mental block when it comes to the NHS, and shutting out the truth, which for the sake of the patient & future healthcare, is that it has to change, it has to be more efficient, it has to be cost effective , it has to be rid of restrictive practices, and it has to be brought into the 21st. century, and this necessity applies whether it's a Tory or a Labour minister in charge.

It is not 'heaven ' or the 'garden of Eden' and Doctors are not 'Gods or Nurses ‘Angels' it is a service provider with highly educated, well trained and compassionate staff, & it is paid for by taxes, & not just 'income ' tax, and therefore should be accountable, & sentiment should not enter into the equation!

We can be eternally grateful for the care provided to us in our time of need, as I truly am, but that shouldn't cloud our judgement and just give in to every demand for more money.

It is also very 'odd' to my way of thinking that people say ' I'm prepared to pay more in taxes or even a bit upfront' in order to get a better service, but baulk at the idea of making efficiency savings and cutting waste.
    I couldn't agree more - you have hit the nail firmly on the head!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T00ts For This Useful Post:

Phantom (09-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks Toots, hope it all works out for you!

I have been visiting hospitals lately, with friends in for different problems and one special unit for Cancer care was superb, with none of the horror stories, but of course it is essentially for ‘short term ‘ care only

The other two hospitals recently visited almost mirrored your description of patient care, or not, and yet had large & costly (income stream) multi storey car parks with coffee bars and shops etc. Priority spending eh?

My last experience of hospital as an in patient, was about 10 years back, and whereas the medical treatment (and aftercare) was first class, the rest of the stay was similar to yours, especially the noise throughout the nights, and eventually ,on discharge, being sat in an ice cold ambulance for over 40 minutes, whilst awaiting a lift home, nearly put me back in!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    Thanks all - I'm working on it.
    See all that Gin swilling will get you in the end.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy39 View Post
    has this woman ever got anything right. mmmmmmm must have amnesia ,can't think of anything
    What in your opinion is wrong with her plan?
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Thanks
    Who is responsible for NHS inefficiency - central government or NHS trusts?
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Thanks
    My daughter who works in IT service said something interesting the other day. She said that in her experience very often improvements via IT in some organisations don't in fact simplify systems because of a lack of trust. Very often those systems are backed up 'for safety' with a paper trail. Thus far from making a task more cost effective the work load is increased creating an even larger workforce.

Perhaps the problem in the NHS is that although medicine and treatments are moving forward the admin is stuck in a time warp and a particular mindset.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 850 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T00ts View Post
    My daughter who works in IT service said something interesting the other day. She said that in her experience very often improvements via IT in some organisations don't in fact simplify systems because of a lack of trust. Very often those systems are backed up 'for safety' with a paper trail. Thus far from making a task more cost effective the work load is increased creating an even larger workforce.

Perhaps the problem in the NHS is that although medicine and treatments are moving forward the admin is stuck in a time warp and a particular mindset.
    I think that is pretty much the case with all new systems. Years ago when I was in the Merchant Navy I was on a ship that had computers in the engine room. We all agreed that this was the way of the future, but not for us because no one wants innovations when you are on a lee shore and number 4 units packs up for a nothing. So we would use the computers when the owners turned up and then unship them once we were out of sight of land.

You can't hold back technology because otherwise we would be posting on slide rules. But advances in anything are rarely linear.