Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: The world is getting warmer.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,707
    Thanks
    703
    Thanked 713 Times in 603 Posts

    The world is getting warmer.

    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    8,549
    Thanks
    1,029
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 816 Posts
    O good , Ill crack on getting the swimming pool built in garden

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Streetwalker For This Useful Post:

    Sheepy (18-12-2018)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 193 Times in 139 Posts
    E6CC135F-DEFE-4E34-9BE1-32A807D6CAB4.jpg
    http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

    As stated in the above document we have had 78 major temperature changes in the last 4500 years. What are you suggesting?
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,710
    Thanks
    1,872
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    O good , Ill crack on getting the swimming pool built in garden
    Yes, but best build a large orangery around it, you know, just in case.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry For This Useful Post:

    Streetwalker (22-12-2018)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 145 Times in 119 Posts
    The problem is actually one of perception. Whilst global statistics do actually tend to suggest an overall warming trend - and whilst measurable CO2 levels, a gas scientifically known to act as a greenhouse gas, are rising - local climatic conditions for year after year can really feed doubts. Until this year, we in the UK had a succession of crap summers, not particularly warm or sunny. No temperature records were being broken. And many of our winters were not particularly mild either. I distinctly remember that in 2012 winter conditions and temperatures lasted until early May.

    When we are faced with local conditions like this year after year, belief in the reality of global warming tends to nosedive. I myself - not a natural climate change denyer but one who puts a lot of faith in science - was actually beginning to harbour serious doubts. Then suddenly we have a long hot summer and a very mild autumn and winter so far, and global warming is beginning to be perceived as real again.

    And here is the problem. Whilst long term global averages might be increasing, locally such effects can be swamped by natural fluctuations capable of delivering prolonged periods of none too hot weather which can buck the long term trend. This provides more than enough ammunition for local sceptics everywhere to convince themselves - and try to convince the rest of us - that climate change is a crock of shite.

    Only when enough time has gone by - and enough warming taken place - for the overall long term trend to have become obvious in spite of local fluctuations, with highly noticeable effects upon such things as sea levels, will the reality of global warming gain widespread and near universal acceptance amongst the public.

    Problem is, by then a lot of damage might well already be in the pipeline and too late to be undone.

    This is difficult because democratic societies cannot take meaningful measures without widespread public support. The reality probably is that until or unless global climatic disaster becomes obvious, the necessary political will to truly counter it will likely be lacking. Yet by then much of the damage will already have been done and a lot of effort will have to go into managing it, as well as into trying to prevent things getting even worse.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 193 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftylib View Post
    The problem is actually one of perception. Whilst global statistics do actually tend to suggest an overall warming trend - and whilst measurable CO2 levels, a gas scientifically known to act as a greenhouse gas, are rising - local climatic conditions for year after year can really feed doubts. Until this year, we in the UK had a succession of crap summers, not particularly warm or sunny. No temperature records were being broken. And many of our winters were not particularly mild either. I distinctly remember that in 2012 winter conditions and temperatures lasted until early May.

    When we are faced with local conditions like this year after year, belief in the reality of global warming tends to nosedive. I myself - not a natural climate change denyer but one who puts a lot of faith in science - was actually beginning to harbour serious doubts. Then suddenly we have a long hot summer and a very mild autumn and winter so far, and global warming is beginning to be perceived as real again.

    And here is the problem. Whilst long term global averages might be increasing, locally such effects can be swamped by natural fluctuations capable of delivering prolonged periods of none too hot weather which can buck the long term trend. This provides more than enough ammunition for local sceptics everywhere to convince themselves - and try to convince the rest of us - that climate change is a crock of shite.

    Only when enough time has gone by - and enough warming taken place - for the overall long term trend to have become obvious in spite of local fluctuations, with highly noticeable effects upon such things as sea levels, will the reality of global warming gain widespread and near universal acceptance amongst the public.

    Problem is, by then a lot of damage might well already be in the pipeline and too late to be undone.

    This is difficult because democratic societies cannot take meaningful measures without widespread public support. The reality probably is that until or unless global climatic disaster becomes obvious, the necessary political will to truly counter it will likely be lacking. Yet by then much of the damage will already have been done and a lot of effort will have to go into managing it, as well as into trying to prevent things getting even worse.
    The point that you have side stepped so conveniently is that no one is disputing that the Earth at the moment is getting warmer. The question is over the level of anthropogenic warming which so far doesn’t hold water.

    Google what percentage of the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere are C02 and then google what percentage of C02 released into the atmosphere each year is man made. The answer is not a right lot.

    The issue is that all climate models are based on the premise that C02 drives climate change when in reality it is a product of temperature change. C02 lags temperature by 600 years.

    The vast majority of the 2000 eminent scientists mentioned in the IPCC report requested that their names be removed. They even went to court over their inclusion.

    In essence, climate science is a bunch of people who need there to be a problem in order to pick up a salary.
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 145 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The point that you have side stepped so conveniently is that no one is disputing that the Earth at the moment is getting warmer. The question is over the level of anthropogenic warming which so far doesn’t hold water.

    Google what percentage of the greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere are C02 and then google what percentage of C02 released into the atmosphere each year is man made. The answer is not a right lot.

    The issue is that all climate models are based on the premise that C02 drives climate change when in reality it is a product of temperature change. C02 lags temperature by 600 years.

    The vast majority of the 2000 eminent scientists mentioned in the IPCC report requested that their names be removed. They even went to court over their inclusion.

    In essence, climate science is a bunch of people who need there to be a problem in order to pick up a salary.
    CO2 is known to be a greenhouse gas. Just look what it has done to Venus. Humanity has for some time been pumping large quantities of this into the atmosphere. As it has been doing so global temperatures have been increasing.

    Join the dots. It isn't rocket science.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    1,102
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 193 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftylib View Post
    CO2 is known to be a greenhouse gas. Just look what it has done to Venus. Humanity has for some time been pumping large quantities of this into the atmosphere. As it has been doing so global temperatures have been increasing.

    Join the dots. It isn't rocket science.
    How about you actually read what I posted and comment on the facts rather than just spouting the same lines over and over.
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Useful Post:

    Sheepy (26-12-2018)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Newport, South Wales
    Posts
    9,622
    Thanks
    1,691
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 1,084 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftylib View Post
    The problem is actually one of perception. Whilst global statistics do actually tend to suggest an overall warming trend - and whilst measurable CO2 levels, a gas scientifically known to act as a greenhouse gas, are rising - local climatic conditions for year after year can really feed doubts. Until this year, we in the UK had a succession of crap summers, not particularly warm or sunny. No temperature records were being broken. And many of our winters were not particularly mild either. I distinctly remember that in 2012 winter conditions and temperatures lasted until early May.

    When we are faced with local conditions like this year after year, belief in the reality of global warming tends to nosedive. I myself - not a natural climate change denyer but one who puts a lot of faith in science - was actually beginning to harbour serious doubts. Then suddenly we have a long hot summer and a very mild autumn and winter so far, and global warming is beginning to be perceived as real again.

    And here is the problem. Whilst long term global averages might be increasing, locally such effects can be swamped by natural fluctuations capable of delivering prolonged periods of none too hot weather which can buck the long term trend. This provides more than enough ammunition for local sceptics everywhere to convince themselves - and try to convince the rest of us - that climate change is a crock of shite.

    Only when enough time has gone by - and enough warming taken place - for the overall long term trend to have become obvious in spite of local fluctuations, with highly noticeable effects upon such things as sea levels, will the reality of global warming gain widespread and near universal acceptance amongst the public.

    Problem is, by then a lot of damage might well already be in the pipeline and too late to be undone.

    This is difficult because democratic societies cannot take meaningful measures without widespread public support. The reality probably is that until or unless global climatic disaster becomes obvious, the necessary political will to truly counter it will likely be lacking. Yet by then much of the damage will already have been done and a lot of effort will have to go into managing it, as well as into trying to prevent things getting even worse.
    as you say, the problem is one of perception



    The reality is, the fact most people still seemed to freeze their nuts off if jumping into the sea before march in anything less than a drysuit forced the climate change scientists whose salaries and expense paid air travel depend on their being a problem to change their cult's deity's name from "global warming" to "climate change" and start muttering that "rain, and summer drizzle and wind" were in fact what they were whingeing about all along.

    That does not do much for their perceived accuracy does it.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

    Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,025
    Thanks
    254
    Thanked 145 Times in 119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    How about you actually read what I posted and comment on the facts rather than just spouting the same lines over and over.
    I did state the facts succinctly having read your
    *EDIT*

    The notion that scientists are selling
    *EDIT*
    in return for lucrative research funding or some such
    *EDIT*
    is a conspiracy theory, no more - something straight out of the sci fi 80s series V. And belongs in the conspiracy theory section. It is not serious politics.

    That CO2 is a result of warming and not a cause of it is
    *EDIT*
    of the first order too. It is precisely the thick CO2 atmosphere of venus trapping heat that CAUSES it's huge temperatures. CO2 is a scientifically demonstrable cause of warming, not merely just a result of it.

    If you talk
    *EDIT*
    do not expect too detailed a response. Because "the same lines" I spouted happen to be the fecking truth, lol.
    Last edited by Bright Young Thing; 26-12-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. UK and World Population
    By Know it in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-01-2018, 11:17 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-10-2015, 10:29 AM
  3. World Not Ending day!
    By DaveUK in forum United States Politics Forum
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 27-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •