Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 120

Thread: Petition - Leave the EU without a deal in March 2019

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,001
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 135 Times in 114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    So you couldn't find it?
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/h]all this immediately under the headline,again you give me a lot of stuff which has nothing to do with the original point and then move the goalposts,and of course the video won't play......I already told you it's gone from YouTube,why is that.......I give up.

    Sorry but this is completely untrue. This article is either very old conjecture or it's just plain wrong. The ECJ has ruled on this matter only a few weeks back, and categorically stated that if the UK wants to withdraw it's article 50 declaration unilaterally, it can do so, and further, they specifically ruled that the UK would maintain all current conditions including rebates etc.

    Any individual EU person can say what they like about what they would like to happen, but this doesn't mean it's going to happen because it won't be allowed.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North of England
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Findeton View Post
    It's very presumptuous to think there's only one right way of leaving the EU. Or to accuse me of doing something that I most definitely am not doing.
    If you accept that the EU is like being a member of an exclusive club - when you leave a club you walk away and retain none of the vestiges of membership - then there is only one way - you leave. It does not mean that you cannot continue to talk to those that have decided to stay members and it does not mean that you cannot agree business dealings with any of those members. The more crucial question is whether those members will wish to talk to you or do business. As a member of that club we were given a sort of gagging order - prohibited from talking and doing business with anyone who was not a member of the club unless the club gave you permission. Why would you want to be a member of any club like that?

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    If you accept that the EU is like being a member of an exclusive club - when you leave a club you walk away and retain none of the vestiges of membership - then there is only one way - you leave. It does not mean that you cannot continue to talk to those that have decided to stay members and it does not mean that you cannot agree business dealings with any of those members. The more crucial question is whether those members will wish to talk to you or do business. As a member of that club we were given a sort of gagging order - prohibited from talking and doing business with anyone who was not a member of the club unless the club gave you permission. Why would you want to be a member of any club like that?
    Well you have the same kind of agreement between cities/towns in the UK and the UK itself. Why would you want to be a member of any club like that (UK)?

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    5,917
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 511 Times in 440 Posts
    At a guess,I would imagine the project fear crew are a bit bewildered,on the one hand they have spread enough fear and made sure money at the bottom of the pile is in short supply,on the other hand they have shot themselves in the foot because they have basically doomed themselves by doing the very thing they thought would hand them back control,instead it has affected their own business dealings more than ever.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North of England
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Findeton View Post
    Well you have the same kind of agreement between cities/towns in the UK and the UK itself. Why would you want to be a member of any club like that (UK)?
    I am not quite sure which world you live in but it seems to bear no resemblance to the one the rest of us inhabit. Which towns or cities are you referring to? Are you seriously suggesting that Doncaster or Manchester can suddenly decide that they wish to declare independence from Westminster and not follow any of their laws etc.?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I am not quite sure which world you live in but it seems to bear no resemblance to the one the rest of us inhabit. Which towns or cities are you referring to? Are you seriously suggesting that Doncaster or Manchester can suddenly decide that they wish to declare independence from Westminster and not follow any of their laws etc.?
    Well, they can't, because they had their sovereignty forcibly handed over the UK government long time ago. At least, in the EU, you can decide to leave the union, whereas in the UK it's basically forced into you. But somehow people are OK even with that.

    Probably, someone that is some kind of nationalist wouldn't accept my argument, but it's just a blind spot in their own logic.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    North of England
    Posts
    64
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Findeton View Post
    Well, they can't, because they had their sovereignty forcibly handed over the UK government long time ago. At least, in the EU, you can decide to leave the union, whereas in the UK it's basically forced into you. But somehow people are OK even with that.

    Probably, someone that is some kind of nationalist wouldn't accept my argument, but it's just a blind spot in their own logic.
    You were the one that proposed that towns and cities had the same sort of agreement with the uk but have now stated that they don't. Do you have any cohesive arguments of any sort or do you just like to spout? It is obvious that you are a fully paid up card carrying member of the EU party. Why don't you try your logic and arguments on the Catalans? If the EU was such a good egg then wouldn't they try to facilitate their requests?

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    You were the one that proposed that towns and cities had the same sort of agreement with the uk but have now stated that they don't. Do you have any cohesive arguments of any sort or do you just like to spout? It is obvious that you are a fully paid up card carrying member of the EU party. Why don't you try your logic and arguments on the Catalans? If the EU was such a good egg then wouldn't they try to facilitate their requests?
    I don't really care if Catalonia gets its independence, I'm not nationalist in any way.

    The fact that towns/cities can't legally get their independence only makes my argument stronger, as the relationship is of the same kind (smaller entity towards bigger entity) but they are in a worse condition... and still you seem fine with that. That means, to me, that you probably don't care about freedom but, maybe, about some kind of nationalistic feeling. Anyway, your inconsistency makes your argument invalid.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Leaving the EUSSR
    Posts
    9,563
    Thanks
    2,145
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Sorry but this is completely untrue. This article is either very old conjecture or it's just plain wrong. The ECJ has ruled on this matter only a few weeks back, and categorically stated that if the UK wants to withdraw it's article 50 declaration unilaterally, it can do so, and further, they specifically ruled that the UK would maintain all current conditions including rebates etc.

    Any individual EU person can say what they like about what they would like to happen, but this doesn't mean it's going to happen because it won't be allowed.
    Javert did you even bother to read the original exchange between myself and beelbeeb?.....guess not,if you had you would realise your post and the Ecj has no bearing on that.

    And to return to the OP the petition stands at over 301,000 and still rising.
    To paraphase one of our last great political leaders Winston Spencer Churchill "Never in the field of British politics and Brexit was so much expected by so many of so few......only to be bitterly disappointed"

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    As a member of that club we were given a sort of gagging order - prohibited from talking and doing business with anyone who was not a member of the club unless the club gave you permission. Why would you want to be a member of any club like that?
    Not at all. The classic example is that Germany does much better at exporting to the rest of the world than does UK? How come? It isnt because they are not EU members and we are. Its because they are doing something internal to their county better than we are. Probably that they are rather keener on government intervention and control of industry and dont just leave everything to the market.

    As to why the UK will give a 'bad' deal to the UK if we leave - it will not. The EU has offered us what it considers to be the very best deal possible. A full free trade deal extending to very wide areas which eg prohibit germany from subsidising its exports by giving its workers bad condition. Plus a say in how our chief competitors run their countries: thats amazing, how else could we get that short of conquering them by force?

    They have offered the Uk all this, they call it 'membership of the EU', but it is really the best trade deal in the world. But we have refused it.

    If we dont want that, then they are still offering us what they offer other countries outside the EU. They give special deals to help countries planning to join to get up to speed, but we arent one of those. So its a standard ordinary deal for us, which will not keep UK industry going which relies upon complete integration of its factories across the EU. All these would leave. All the fringe benefits of membership, such as special deals with all the other countries in the world, will go.

    But they have also offered us a halfway house, where we stay in some of the EU. Of course, we do have to follow all the rules for the bits we stay in. Obviously. You wouldnt still be allowed a pass for just the club pool unless you agreed to obey the rules about not peeing in it and using the proper changing room. And you no longer get to make the club rules, even the ones about using the pool.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-09-2018, 02:35 PM
  2. Petition to PROPERLY leave the EU
    By scott777 in forum Brexit
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 16-07-2018, 12:29 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-01-2018, 11:45 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •