Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trumpian threads

Thanks

The Trump of Pahrump

Nevada’s most notorious pimp, Dennis Hof, had been running for state legislature when he was found dead at one his whorehouses on October 16, two days after his 72nd birthday.

"It's all because Donald Trump was the Christopher Columbus for me," Hof told the Associated Press in a phone call. " He found the way and I jumped on it."

Listing what he shared in common with Trump, Hof said: "We're both famous — and infamous. We're both high-profile. We're both celebrities. We're both successful businessmen. We both have reality television shows. We both have written books. We're both rich and we can't be bought.

"There's a lot of similarities. And we're doing it for the right reasons."

With Trump as a model, Hof ran for office, aiming to reshape the GOP (into what, you guess?)

His campaign slogan “Made Nevada Nevada Again” (MNNA) was a bizarre mirror of Donald Trump's 2016 presidential campaign's catchphrase "Make America Great Again" (MAGA). He called himself the “Trump of Pahrump,” after his hometown in Nevada.

He got over 60 percent of the vote in the heavily Republican district he was favoured to win. However, by the time he was dead, it was too late to take his name off the ballot. Republicans in the state urged voters to cast their ballot for him anyway to keep the seat from the Democrats. Under state law, if a candidate who has died is elected, the seat is still considered vacant and will be filled by the county commissioners, who will select a fellow Republican who resides in the district to serve Hof’s 2-year term.

Since a dead pimp could be elected to office even though he died three weeks ago, I use his self-assigned nickname "the Trump of Pahrump", humorously or sarcastically, to denote the ideal candidate (male or female) for any selection such as election, job, prize, honour, etc.

In short, the Trump of Pahrump denotes the perfect or ideal candidate for a selection.

The following sentences show the use of the new term:

(a) After interviewing 100 job applicants, the manager finally found the Trump of Pahrump to be his secretary.

(b) The majority of voters were casting protest votes as they could not find any Trump of Pahrump among the three presidential candidates.

(c) The old king regarded the youngest of the seven princes as his Trump of Pahrump for the crown.

(d) Of all the candidates who sat the government examinations, he scored the highest grade to become the Trump of Pahrump for the priesthood.

(e) The party's secretary-general said at an election rally: "We would be doing a disservice to the people and the country if we field a team of mediocre candidates. All our candidates are the Trumps of Pahrump for serving the country and the people. In other words, they are the crème de la crème of the country."

(f) The television presenter spoke to the audience: "Here are the ten finalists in the singing contest. All are the Trumps of Pahrump, but only one will trump all to become the champion tonight. So vote wisely and carefully."

(g) The defence minister spoke at a press briefing: "As long as I am the defence minister, only the Trumps of Pahrump can enter the armed forces. Mr X's quick rise to the rank of brigadier general is due to his qualifications and abilities, not that he is the president's son."

(h) The manager explained to his employees: "I have to emphasise that promotion in the company is transparent, fair and square. As long as you are the Trump of Pahrump, you will have the chance of promotion. The two new executives are promoted by virtue of their qualifications and work performance, not because they are my boss's relatives."

(i) The prime minister spoke to the media: "Fake news is going viral that Mr A and Miss A are appointed to senior positions in the cabinet because they are my children. Let's put the issue in perspective. Both of them are graduates from Ivy League universities and are high flyers in the private sector. To accuse me of nepotism is downright outrageous! They are appointed into the cabinet because they are the Trumps of Pahrump. In short, they are the best I can find to serve the country and the people."

P.S. Unfortunately for America, Dennis Hof, the first Trump of Pahrump, was taken away prematurely by the Grim Reaper, otherwise he could reshape the GOP (into what, you guess?) and become the next US President as he modelled himself on Donald Trump whom he claimed to share many similarities.

Sources as listed below:

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2018/ju...ins-gop-prima/

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...311-story.html

Thanks

To have/get a trade deal with (someone or an entity)

Donald Trump claimed that India wants to have a trade deal with America primarily to keep him happy. During his White House news conference on Monday, October 1, 2018, Trump referred India as a “tariff king” and reiterated his allegations that New Delhi has a high tariff rate on various American products.

In view of this, I coin the expression "to have/get a trade deal with (someone or an entity, e.g. a country)” as an idiom to denote “primarily to keep someone or an entity happy”. The following sentences show how to use the new expression:

(a) The anxious mother tried to have a trade deal with her crying baby by feeding him.

(b) The woman had a trade deal with her jealous husband by promising to smile at no men other than him.

(c) As the president failed to get a trade deal with his people, he was voted out in the next election.

(d) The man asked his girlfriend, "Do you want a trade deal with me now?" His girlfriend replied angrily: "Stop kidding! It's not party time but parting time. I am going to marry my new boyfriend next week."

(e) The sadistic husband asked his wife: "Are you ready to have a trade deal with me tonight?" His wife retorted: "I have enough of your domestic violence. I am going to hit back tonight."

(f) The bully asked his victim: "From today onwards, I am going to double my protection fees. Are you ready to have a trade deal with me by paying me your new monthly protection fee of $200 now?"

His victim replied: "I have been learning kungfu secretly under Bruce Lee for the past six months. Now I want you to have a trade deal with me by paying me a monthly protection fee of $300 instead, otherwise I shall break your neck with my powerful kungfu chop."

(g) The king spoke to his people on television: "My fellow countrymen, ask not what your country can do to have a trade deal with you, ask what you can do to have a trade deal with your country."

(h) The hermit sage spoke to a visiting politician: "My honourable president, ask not how the world can have a trade deal with your country, ask how your country can have a trade deal with the world."

(i) The legendry wise man spoke to his audience: “Don’t expect the climate to have a trade deal with us. Instead we should get a trade deal with Nature by treating it as though it is our sole newborn baby.”

Thanks

The Tariff Emperor calling India a tariff king

1. The following are excerpts from an article by Manoj Ladwa, the founder of India Inc. and chief executive of MLS Chase Group, posted on October 5th, 2018 under the headline "Trump’s ‘Tariff King’ jibe more bark than bite, we hope".

(Begin excerpts)
    It was only last week that US President Donald Trump praised India in glowing terms, calling it a free society of a billion-plus people that has successfully pulled millions out of poverty.

A week later, India is the “tariff king” that imposes high import duties on US products and, having been caught out by a wise and sagacious White House occupant, now wants a trade deal.

Welcome to the world according to Trump. Frankly, I don’t quite know how to interpret him. Does he speak for effect? Does he tailor his message to suit the audience? Or does he really mean what he says?...

For I have no doubts in my mind that having publicly said, soon after cutting an agreement with Canada and Mexico, that India also wants a trade deal with the US only to please him, he has left himself little wiggle room to back out.

But saner counsel should tell him in private that international trade deals are not negotiated at press conferences. The grandstanding by the US President and the discourteous braggadocio on display at the media briefing will only serve to undermine the drudge work being done over many months by the US Trade Representative’s office and the Government of India.

Just consider this: Trump may have been scoring brownie points with his electorate at home but as the head of arguably the most powerful government in the world, shouldn’t he have considered how his statement would be received in India?

Any trade deal will have to involve give and take from both sides. But with election fever hotting up in India, it will be extremely difficult for the Narendra Modi government – and, indeed, any other government in the given circumstances – to make even the slightest concession on trade without inviting strident charges of selling out.

If anything, Trump has made it almost impossible for his trade team to proceed with the negotiations.

I am convinced, as, I am sure, are most of you, that the US President is not overly bothered about such nuances. He has tasted blood – having got North Korea to the negotiating table and after forcing Canada and Mexico to renegotiate and replace the two-and-a-half decade-old North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) with the very unimaginatively titled US-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) – and now wants more of the same from trade partners such as the European Union (EU), Japan and India.

Trump is playing a very high stakes game of global poker by painting himself as some sort of iconoclast-bogeyman who has no respect for set international norms and rules, or even agreements signed by his predecessors. Never mind that this is cutting the ground from under the very edifice that the US had helped design and maintain since the end of the Second World War, which has brought it and several other countries unprecedented prosperity and global influence.

But despite his own falling global standing and the US’ diminishing global prestige thanks to his antics, Trump has shown a single-minded devotion to not straying from the line he has drawn on the ground.

After blowing hot and blowing cold on India till now, he seems to have set his sights on what he considers a fair trade agreement with New Delhi. So, the Modi government will have to be prepared for unilateral punitive, or at the very least, additional tariffs on Indian exports as well as other restrictions for Indian goods and services entering the US market.

.....Some analysts I have spoken to in the US, here in the UK and elsewhere, are pretty certain that Trump will not be re-elected in 2020. So, they advise all US trading partners to keep stalling till a more balanced and rule-respecting administration takes office.....

We will have to wait with bated breath to see how this plays out. Meanwhile, we will also have to hope the US President’s next brainwave doesn’t derail the work others have already put in. (End excerpts)

Source:

https://indiaincgroup.com/trumps-tar...-bite-we-hope/

2. The proverbial idiom "The pot calling the kettle black" has the following meanings:

(a) Something you say that means people should not criticize someone else for a fault that they have themselves.

(b) A situation in which one person criticizes another for a fault the first person also has.

Source:

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...e-kettle-black

3. Here I coin its modern version: "The Tariff Emperor calling India a tariff king."

The following sentences show the use of the new expression:

(a) Don't scold me for being late. You were late for work yesterday. That's the Tariff Emperor calling India a tariff king!

(b) The two politicians sling mud at each other during their election campaigns. It’s like the Tariff Emperor calling India a tariff king.

Thanks

To carry American oil to India

1. Tsvetana Paraskova is a writer for the US-based Divergente LLC consulting firm with over a decade of experience writing for news outlets such as iNVEZZ and SeeNews. The following are excerpts from Tsvetana Paraskova's November 14, 2018 article headlined "India Ready To Import More U.S. Oil And Gas".

(Begin excerpts)
    India is ready to import more crude oil and liquefied natural gas (LNG) from the United States to expand bilateral trade, India’s Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said on Wednesday.

Speaking after a meeting between India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi and U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on the sidelines of an ASEAN summit in Singapore, Gokhale said, commenting on the topics discussed:

“There was a lot of discussion on energy, this is a new sector in the Indo-US relations. We have begun importing oil & gas from United States.”

“It is expected to be valued about $4 billion this year and we expressed our readiness to import more oil and more gas from the United States as a way of expanding our trade,” Gokhale added..... (End excerpts)

Source:

https://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-N...l-And-Gas.html

2. It makes no economic sense for India to import oil from the US when it can get it more cheaply from nearer oil producers such as Iran and Saudi Arabia. Here I coin this expression "To carry American oil to India" with the following meanings:

(a) To waste money on a project that can be accomplished cheaply by other means, that is, to do something at an unnecessary cost.

(b) To take something to a place where its kind can be obtained more cheaply elsewhere.

The following sentences show the use of the new expression:

(a) Don't pester me to buy your kitchenware. I am not so stupid as to carry American oil to India since I can buy the same kitchenware more cheaply from my friend's shop.

(b) You have been carrying American oil to India by getting that unscrupulous contractor to renovate your house. If you have approached me earlier for the renovation, you would have saved a lot of money.

(c) To waste money buying ready-cooked meals would be like carrying American oil to India. Hence I prefer to cook my own meals or eat at my mother-in-law’s house every day.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grumzed View Post
    As I understand it the arrest of Meng Wanzhou was for breaking international sanctions in selling telecom equipment to Iran that, it is alleged, would allow the Iranian government to easily tap into communications over the network within Iran. However, I believe this is just a smokescreen, the real aim being to damage Huawei who is seen as a competitor to US and European telecom equipment providers. Basically, it is part of a trade war. Now, generally, I am not a fan of much Chinese manufacture as it is often poorly and cheaply made, but I have no evidence that this is so with Huawei's products and I don't think that quality is the issue here. Some years ago the main supplier of key equipment for digital telecom networks was Ericsson. A key piece of routing equipment, of which many are needed, was sold with options, one of which allowed that allowed interception and monitoring of calls. Of course the option came at a price. Interestingly, at least at that time, no national telecom provider from any country had purchased the lower cost option!
    I agree that it "is just a smokescreen, the real aim being to damage Huawei which is seen as a competitor to US and European telecom equipment providers". However, I don't agree that "basically, it is part of a trade war”. In my opinion, it is more than a trade war. It is a tech war, or worse, a geopolitical war in which the US tries to stem the rise of such would-be competitors as China.

As an analogy of the paradox of Meng's illegal arrest, some years ago I heard from my friend that a policeman of a certain country went all the way to a school to handcuff a teacher who had punished his son without first informing him. There is a parallel between this story and Meng’s arrest. The US has been trying all sorts of stealthy ways to stalk, trap, ambush and arrest Chinese nationals in US allied nations for extradiction to the US without prior consultation with the Chinese government. This is a downright violation of China's sovereignty. It has created a paradoxical situation in which China has the legal right to demand the US to send all officials involving in Meng's arrest to China to be punished for violation of China's sovereignty.

However, the ultimate factor in determining the outcome of the geopolitical tug-of-war will not be any government but the economic power of 1.4 billion Chinese. When one fifth of mankind views the US as the "new hegemonic imperial Japan" of this century, there will be tremendous backlash in the form of a silent boycott of American goods. In such circumstances, Trump can hold a thousand trade talks with his Chinese counterpart or tweet a thousand times about his Trumpian friendship with the Chinese leader or tweet a thousand times claiming that “China talks are going very well!", but all these will come to naught. Even if the Chinese government buys a lot of agricultural products from America, it won't find much demand from the general public. In the end, tons and tons of rotten US agricultural products will be dumped into the choppy waters of geopolitical conflicts, followed in quick succession by the plunging Dow and US economy.

It will be a similar case for Canada whose Prime Minister Justin Trudeau seems to have been cowed into US submission by Peter Navarro's threat of a "Special Place in Hell". He seems to be so frightened now that he has willingly become Donald Trump's equivalent of Dracula's Renfield. Like the US economy, the Canadian economy could face the full wrath of one fifth of humanity.

P.S. One thing for certain that could set Justin Trudeau's mind at ease is a “Special Place in Heaven" reserved for him by Peter Navarro.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/b...r-navarro.html

Thanks

Trumpian success

Despite voters signalling strong displeasure with his policies by voting the Democrats back into the House of Representatives for the first time in 8 years, Donald Trump tweeted on 6 November 2018: "Tremendous success tonight. Thank you to all!"

To Donald Trump, everything is "Tremendous Success", even if he falls off his "big, beautiful wall" with a boom like Humpty Dumpty, or rather, Trumpty Drumpty. Here I coin the term "Trumpian success" to depict Trump's hyperbolic claim to “Tremendous Success” in everything concerned with him, even if it ends in dismal failure or serious setback.

Source: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...22696703070208

https://politicspoliticalforum.com/t...e-Mountain-(1a