Thread: Does the British Government provide care for its citizens abroad?

Thanks

Does the British Government provide care for its citizens abroad?

I ask because Matthew Hedges has been treated appallingly by the UAE government and little to nothing of help apparently has been done to assist him by our Foreign Office.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...tors-6tk0k5nhg

I appreciate that Boris was a disaster at the Foreign Office but in principle it seems we are on our own once leaving these shores?

Thanks
    Depends on what you mean by care, and in what circumstances.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/immigration-law/embassy/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    I ask because Matthew Hedges has been treated appallingly by the UAE government and little to nothing of help apparently has been done to assist him by our Foreign Office.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...tors-6tk0k5nhg

I appreciate that Boris was a disaster at the Foreign Office but in principle it seems we are on our own once leaving these shores?
    A very difficult question, but what I would say is, "when in Rome". You can't go to Arab/Islamic countries without being very careful, the same as you can't go to communist countries without using your head. These places have a totally different ethos and culture to our own. Personally I wouldn't go, simply because I don't trust myself. It would be nice if some of the people who come and live over here respected our culture !
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Depends on what you mean by care, and in what circumstances.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/immigration-law/embassy/

It is alleged that this British man was arrested and kept in a UAE prison for five months without any obvious move by the British Embassy out there ensuring that he was being treated fairly, and even more important taking steps to achieve his release?

Thanks
    It is alleged that this British man was arrested and kept in a UAE prison for five months without any obvious move by the British Embassy out there ensuring that he was being treated fairly, and even more important taking steps to achieve his release?
    That does not mean the embassy were doing nothing. Dealing with Arab states is tricky, and publicity depending on circumstances can be more of a hindrance than a help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    That does not mean the embassy were doing nothing. Dealing with Arab states is tricky, and publicity depending on circumstances can be more of a hindrance than a help.
    That's a politician's answer!

As much as I don't like Trump's way of doing things I have a feeling that he would have tweeted something a long time ago, and certainly 5 months with no public comment is totally unacceptable.

Thanks
    That's a politician's answer!

As much as I don't like Trump's way of doing things I have a feeling that he would have tweeted something a long time ago, and certainly 5 months with no public comment is totally unacceptable.

Not a politicians answer at all. America has not got a very good track record of getting their citizens out of foreign jails.