Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should Missionaries Be Allowed To Invade Places They Aren't Wanted ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Isn't Brexit an attempt to isolate the UK from the world much as those in the wilds do?
    Er..... No. Cant see it that way myself.

I can see how desperate buggers miffed that the people spoke in a way contrary to the way the said buggers were trying to tell them to might paint it that way though.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    While I agree that 'missionaries' who wander into the wilds to spread their word are na´ve fools, I question the ethics of allowing a community to remain totally isolated from the world. On Health grounds alone it is necessary to monitor their progress, and that of other species in their environment, if only to prevent the possibility of animal and bird disease and viral infections which might spread across the region. Further, if their population becomes so large as to be unsustainable, it will be no surprise if they have a cavalier attitude towards killing those who are unwanted. I appreciate the argument that these people do not wish to engage with the world, but they will eventually have no choice but to. Theirs is not so much an 'island Paradise' but rather a cage within which will occur, sooner or later, some very nasty cultural behaviours and natural consequences.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,267 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    While I agree that 'missionaries' who wander into the wilds to spread their word are na´ve fools, I question the ethics of allowing a community to remain totally isolated from the world. On Health grounds alone it is necessary to monitor their progress, and that of other species in their environment, if only to prevent the possibility of animal and bird disease and viral infections which might spread across the region. Further, if their population becomes so large as to be unsustainable, it will be no surprise if they have a cavalier attitude towards killing those who are unwanted. I appreciate the argument that these people do not wish to engage with the world, but they will eventually have no choice but to. Theirs is not so much an 'island Paradise' but rather a cage within which will occur, sooner or later, some very nasty cultural behaviours and natural consequences.
    And who exactly are you to tell a people whose way of life is six times older than your way of doing things that they must give it up ...
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnofgwent View Post
    And who exactly are you to tell a people whose way of life is six times older than your way of doing things that they must give it up ...
    John: Give up on what, exactly? A community must know what the outside world is like before it can choose to ignore it. Further, regardless of the uninformed choices made by these isolated communities, the health and behaviours of the non-human species native to that environment must be monitored not only to ensure the survival of flora and fauna, but to prevent the possibility of transmittable diseases and viruses. If a virus develops in these isolated areas it could be transmitted by air or birds over a wide area. Lastly, one does not have to "give up" ones culture just because one engages with the world. If these folk value their isolation they could simply impose a strict "immigration policy".