Thread: Should Missionaries Be Allowed To Invade Places They Aren't Wanted ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 935 Posts
    Blog Entries

Should Missionaries Be Allowed To Invade Places They Aren't Wanted ?

It's been a day or two, and I don't see any other thread on the matter ....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-46300459

I refer of course to the chap who decided his faith allowed him to breeze into the Andaman Island populated by a tribe of islanders who really, really sonlt want to have anything to do with the outside world to being them the gospel of jesus, and who, for his pains, got to sit at gods right hand a few minutes later as a martyr to the cause, having been the recipient of numerous tributes of welcome rained upon him by the locals, which we call "arrows".

I took exception to the mainstream media articles what described this fool as a "tourist" and decided to do a little digging.

The indigenous population of the Andaman Islands have of course been known historically as a primitive and fiercely introspective people, Conan Doyle knew what he was doing when he chose one of their tribe to be the gruesome half human half ape beast accomplice of the bad guy in his second ever outing for Sherlock Holmes, but if you go a bit of looking round the net, you cannot possibly fail to come across a dozens of web sites offering you a holiday in the shall we say "developed" areas of the Andaman Island chain, ranging from the "exotic lonely planet getaway" for those who find the trek to the Himalayan foothills a little tedious now there is a queue to climb the ladder to everest's base camp.... all the way to rather more modern facilities in rather better developed islands whose offerings resemble the Maldives, or Goa, or Polynesian long haul for those with more money and time on their hands than most of us mortals. And SOME of those islands share with Goa who come under the same administration an emerging status as the new place to get away, a status that the Greek island of Zakynhthos had about 30 years ago as "Thomson's latest greek getaway discovery". So yes, I guess tourism is indeed rife in most of this island chain...

Yet if you poke about in Wikipedia and use its references to dig up url's to the websites of the Indian Government who administer the area, you pretty soon come upon stern warnings about one particular island, and its remote, insular people who the Indian government openly state have the absolute right to go about doing things their own way in what the Indian Government recognise is their own autonomous territory.

The Indian Government have declared the area out of bounds and made laws that make it an offence to approach the islands or the people, and perhaps the events of the last few days make it obvious why.

For in spite of the government making it illegal to do so, this chap decided he had the absolute right to violate those laws in order to being jesus to these heathens.

His body is now rapidly decomposing on their territory and the nearest "authorities" admit it may take some time to retrieve it. I suspect an armour plated landing craft may be needed. The guy's accomplices are now under arrest.

Social media are of course having fun at this American's expense, his unfortunate surname allowing headlines akin to "cannibals get to 'chow down' for an early thanksgiving" being perhaps the worst I've seen so far...

I'm not going that far, but I say he was a bloody arrogant idiot and I shed no tears for him. I might feel a certain sorrow had his demise been due to a pressing desire to acquire up close and personal research evidence for an upcoming Ph.D thesis in a field of anthropology, but all I see here is the same arrogance that landed many of his predecessors in an african cooking pot. Allegedly.
    --
    "The Inland Revenue is not slow, and quite rightly, to take every advantage which is open to it under the Taxing Statutes for the purposes of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is in like manner entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Inland Revenue"

Lord Clyde: "Ayrshire Pullman Motor Services V Inland Revenue, 1929"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnofgwent For This Useful Post:

Barry (23-11-2018), cromwell (23-11-2018), lankou (23-11-2018)

Thanks
    No they shouldn't . Attempting to change a society from its natural evolution whether spiritually ,politically or ethnically is never a good idea and normally ends in tears for either the indigenous population or those trying to do the changing .

Thanks
    I know I shouldn't but schadenfreude, (deep joy at another person's misfortune,) applies.
    The Darwin Award also applies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 928 Posts
    Why break the law to reach a few? There's still plenty of scope in America.
    In the post on Instagram it said "He ventured out of his own free will" which says a lot.

A couple in our church went off to China earlier this year to try to provide some extra bibles for Christians there. A church of 5,000 asked the man to speak and afterwards he got arrested, deported and banned from entering China for 5 year. (Kudos, I must say!)
    So, I just think the friends in our church got off rather lightly rather than being killed by curare tipped arrows.

I obviously support evangelism, but to be honest, I think this guy was unwise, to say the least.

Thanks
    The last time a pair of God botherers darkened my door trying to give me the wisdom of their delusion they were lucky to escape from the dogs. What gives these people the impression that other people wish to be harangued by simpletons with an insane grin on their faces?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albertcornercrew View Post
    What gives these people the impression that other people wish to be harangued by simpletons with an insane grin on their faces?
    That sounds like Tory canvassers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    That sounds like Tory canvassers.
    They're an endangered species aren't they?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by albertcornercrew View Post
    They're an endangered species aren't they?

Where I live it is Labour canvassers who are as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns, which is why I was surprised to get two Labour leaflets delivered a few days ago.