Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 383

Thread: The Draft agreement

  1. #331
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,214
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 308 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    Also you are raising a separate issue which is whether the currency is set appropriately for the regional economy, whereas I raised the scenario of a currency in continuous slow decline.
    What is continuous slow decline? - for example when we entered into the EEC the USD - GBP exchange rate was $2.35 to the Pound - now, after 4 decades of successful EU membership it is $1.27 (it was only $1.55 in Jan 2015 before the whole brexit shenanigan started)

    So is the slow decline under EU membership what you had in mind?

  2. #332
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,090
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 145 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    What is continuous slow decline? - for example when we entered into the EEC the USD - GBP exchange rate was $2.35 to the Pound - now, after 4 decades of successful EU membership it is $1.27 (it was only $1.55 in Jan 2015 before the whole brexit shenanigan started)

    So is the slow decline under EU membership what you had in mind?
    If that was true then yes, but looking at the graph of USD to GBP since 1974 it doesn't look like long term decline - most of the losses occured up to the early 1980s, since then it was going up and down in a similar range until the Brexit referendum when it went down again by the looks of it.

    But yes if this was true, I wouldn't see this as a reason to make it even worse.

    If you believe that a long term steady devaluation of your currency is a sign of a great nation heading up the global pop charts, I'm not sure what else to say.

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,214
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 308 Times in 248 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    If you believe that a long term steady devaluation of your currency is a sign of a great nation heading up the global pop charts, I'm not sure what else to say.
    I never said anything of the sort - simply pointing out that EU membership doesn't make much difference either way

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    191
    Thanked 195 Times in 141 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    What is continuous slow decline? - for example when we entered into the EEC the USD - GBP exchange rate was $2.35 to the Pound - now, after 4 decades of successful EU membership it is $1.27 (it was only $1.55 in Jan 2015 before the whole brexit shenanigan started)

    So is the slow decline under EU membership what you had in mind?

    Attachment 4681

    Its all lies! As you can clearly see there has been absolutely NO steady decline at all, ever.

    71BB31B2-C5FA-4B78-AFAF-CA7F37324A45.jpg

    And the GBP is in real danger only being the 4th strongest currency in the world as of Aug 2018. Even the Gibraltar Pound is 4 places higher than the USD.
    I can explain it to you, but I canít understand it for you.

  5. #335
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Is The Withdrawal Agreement Invalid and Unenforceable Even if Made Before 30th March

    Hi, I am a lawyer. I am looking for a forum ideally with a few lawyers who know about EU law so I can get some feedback. I want to run through some arguments and ideas about the potential invalidity of the Withdrawal Agreement even if it is completed before 30th March, so that if challenged it may be invalid - so we all end up dropping off the cliff edge regardless of Theresa May's deal. Can anyone guide me please about whether this forum will be OK or on another forum to use?

  6. #336
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,279
    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 443 Times in 385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Hi, I am a lawyer. I am looking for a forum ideally with a few lawyers who know about EU law so I can get some feedback. I want to run through some arguments and ideas about the potential invalidity of the Withdrawal Agreement even if it is completed before 30th March, so that if challenged it may be invalid - so we all end up dropping off the cliff edge regardless of Theresa May's deal. Can anyone guide me please about whether this forum will be OK or on another forum to use?
    There are plenty of Barrack Room lawyers on this forum.

  7. #337
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Hi, I am a lawyer. I am looking for a forum ideally with a few lawyers who know about EU law so I can get some feedback. I want to run through some arguments and ideas about the potential invalidity of the Withdrawal Agreement even if it is completed before 30th March, so that if challenged it may be invalid - so we all end up dropping off the cliff edge regardless of Theresa May's deal. Can anyone guide me please about whether this forum will be OK or on another forum to use?
    You've peaked my curiosity. Please do make your arguments - preferably in a nice shiny new thread

  8. #338
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    9,755
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 1,255 Posts
    Looks like another defeat for the government over this 585 page withdrawal agreement on Tuesday 12th March. The EU have not budged at all and are unlikely to.

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Looks like another defeat for the government over this 585 page withdrawal agreement on Tuesday 12th March. The EU have not budged at all and are unlikely to.
    Well, from my point of view, UK should go for no deal rather than any sort of "softer" brexit such as custom union. EU has made the term so ridiculous and bias that making any deal with EU totally pointless in long term.

    And if EU wants to impost those backdrop/citizen right through the backdoor (a.k.a the "precondition" of any FTA), then so be it, just trade through WTO terms. Nations like Taiwan and China has no FTA AT ALL and they still trade a lot. EU can play their protectionism game as much as they like, but then, the only "impact" for UK would be EU's market share in UK replaced by local or imports from the rest of the world.

    Back in 1970s when GB was not so great anymore, and UK's membership of EEC had practically cut the economic bond between UK and the rest of Commonwealth, Aussie and kiwi simply go and get a new set(s) of friends.

    If even "small" nations like Australia can went through that and prosper (it is not the part of the G20, and there are proposals to invite the Aussie to join the G8), how would that annihilate the 5th largest economy in the world?

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    EUSSR
    Posts
    1,488
    Thanks
    375
    Thanked 118 Times in 110 Posts
    The UK was the poorest nation in western Europe before it joined the single market in 1973.

    https://www.ft.com/content/202a60c0-...d-09f7778e7377
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed and third it is accepted as being self-evident

Similar Threads

  1. SNP: Draft Budget
    By morayloon in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-01-2018, 05:49 PM
  2. General election 2017: Labour's draft manifesto at-a-glance
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-05-2017, 10:49 AM
  3. 2nd Referendum - original draft petition
    By DirtyHarry in forum Brexit
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-06-2016, 08:44 PM
  4. Work begins on draft Leveson bill
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 15-12-2012, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •