Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 334

Thread: The Draft agreement

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,577
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 544 Times in 469 Posts
    No it isn't no deal by the end of March.It is bad that they put this piece of garbage under our noses for them though.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    203
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    It's both good and bad.
    Note that even they are now admitting that the UK doesn't have a say in the rules at present.
    Is that good or bad would you say?

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    It's both good and bad.

    It's good in the sense that it (potentially) avoids any "cliff edge" scenario of the click running out before a future deal is done. Negotiations (and no deal iterations, if that's your thing) can now be conducted with less time pressure.

    It's bad (particularly for hard core Brexiters) because it effectively makes real their argument that the UK has to follow EU rules with no say in them. Note that even they are now admitting that the UK doesn't have a say in the rules at present.
    Where did you get that from ? The UK have 73 MEP's out of a total of 751. Only 2 countries have more (Germany 96, France 74). How can you think the UK currently have no say. But one thing is for sure, next April after any sort of brexit the UK will have no say.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South London
    Posts
    8,371
    Thanks
    968
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry T View Post
    . But one thing is for sure, next April after any sort of brexit the UK will have no say.
    Good we don't want a say , we don't want them having a say in UK matters either which seems to be a problem for our government .

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Streetwalker For This Useful Post:

    Barry (15-11-2018), Borchester (16-11-2018)

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 197 Times in 167 Posts
    Oops!

    Autocorrect in the worst way!

    Should read

    Note that even they are now admitting that the UK does have a say in the rules at present.

    Have edited original post

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,110
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 197 Times in 167 Posts
    Nobody taking the poll?

    Who prefers the current (and probably only) deal to the current situation

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,769
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 212 Times in 178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    Question:

    Now the withdrawal deal¹ is out in the open we can rank our preferences.

    What order (1 being most preferred, 3 least) would you rank

    A) Withdraw a50, remain in EU on current terms (however that is achieved)

    B) Leave with no withdrawal agreement

    C) accept the withdrawal agreement negotiated
    I'd have to go for B - A - C

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    628
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 32 Times in 29 Posts
    I don't get a say, but if I did I would go C, B, A.

    I don't think A is possible, but even if it were, there's been so much bad mouthing of the EU through the UK media and politicians (not all of them but a good bunch) that staying in would be bad for the UK and EU. That relationship based on, well we really do't want to be here but we just figured out it's the best option available. As the UK have spoken through it's media and some politicians, the only real options is hard leave or take the withdrawl agreement.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,577
    Thanks
    595
    Thanked 544 Times in 469 Posts
    Everything leads to either capitulation or no deal.Take your pick.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,005
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 135 Times in 114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beelbeeb View Post
    Question:

    Now the withdrawal deal¹ is out in the open we can rank our preferences.

    What order (1 being most preferred, 3 least) would you rank

    A) Withdraw a50, remain in EU on current terms (however that is achieved)

    B) Leave with no withdrawal agreement

    C) accept the withdrawal agreement negotiated

    My preference (surprising nobody) would be
    A=1, C=2, B=3


    ¹Note this is the deal that covers the withdrawal and transition period²

    The arrangements beyond the end of transition is *yet to be negotiated*

    ² the transition period will run until Dec 2020 but there is provision for this to be extended until "20XX" (so presumably 2099!)
    If you want me to say what's in the national interest, A, C, B.

    I suspect that C and B are probably ending up similar because the short term consequence of B would force the UK back to the negotiating table in short order and we would end up with something still similar to C but with chaos for a few days, and of course humiliation.

    If you want me to say what's in the interest of the Planet Earth, I'd probably say B, C, A. It's time the sense of national exceptionalism and superiority that many people in the UK and some other countries have, takes a collision with reality.

Similar Threads

  1. SNP: Draft Budget
    By morayloon in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-01-2018, 06:49 PM
  2. General election 2017: Labour's draft manifesto at-a-glance
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13-05-2017, 11:49 AM
  3. 2nd Referendum - original draft petition
    By DirtyHarry in forum Brexit
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-06-2016, 09:44 PM
  4. Work begins on draft Leveson bill
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 15-12-2012, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •