Thread: Theresa May resolves Northern Ireland border with Brexit plan that ‘could have

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Theresa May resolves Northern Ireland border with Brexit plan that ‘could have

" been written by Jacob Rees-Mogg’, according to reports"

Plus..

"A Whitehall source quoted in the piece said: “..................The small print is that Ireland is ****ed.”

As far as I can see this means that instead of having customs posts between the Republic and Northern Ireland, the actual customs checks will be at the factories and businesses receiving the goods. Which means spot checks, which will probably be dropped as time goes by and the border will be effectively open.

I can't see how the Republic will lose out but there you are.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brex...land-backstop/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post

Plus..

"A Whitehall source quoted in the piece said: “..................The small print is that Ireland is ****ed.”

As far as I can see this means that instead of having customs posts between the Republic and Northern Ireland, the actual customs checks will be at the factories and businesses receiving the goods. Which means spot checks, which will probably be dropped as time goes by and the border will be effectively open.

Not according to Leo,I still think a brexit might be sold down the river.https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-says-varadkar
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Not according to Leo,I still think a brexit might be sold down the river.https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-says-varadkar
    I don't quite see what Varadkar can stand firm on.

He can huff and puff as much as he likes but short of the Republic deploying its 7,000 strong army in a gallant but doomed attempt to seal a 350 mile border, I suspect that Leo is all mouth and no trousers.

Thanks
    Britons never break their word Borchester you will see.
    17,410,742 people said LEAVE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post

Plus..

This is how bonded warehouses have been operating for years. All the revenue from Whiskey is collected this way.
    I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.

Thanks
    Just an observation
    In the DUP and the Cabinet, concerns have been raised about the proposed “backstop” plan. Even Scotland is complaining that Northern Ireland is getting preferential treatment.
    This is a pre-planned distraction. The UK and Union have repeatedly said they don’t intend to use the backstop plan.
    When the Withdrawal Agreement was drawn up, the UK and Union negotiators would have known this was always going to be a problem, so they have already provided the solution within the Agreement.
    The Irish backstop only becomes active after the end of the Transition period if no long term trade agreement is reached. An alternative is offered within the Agreement with an extended Transition period (suggested as short term by Mrs May but there is no actual date or duration identified). The impression given in the WA is that the time extension will be agreed as a last resort.
    So the “solution” to the Irish backstop is simple. Our amazing leader will fly to Brussels at the last minute and in a display of dazzling diplomatic skill, she will personally negotiate with the Union that the Transition period will not end on 31st December 2020, but will be extended until a new trade deal is signed.
    Voila, problem solved
    Amid loud cheering we welcome back our victorious leader. Backstop disappears, DUP and rebels silenced, everyone claims victory snatched from the jaws of defeat. Withdrawal Agreement squeaks through Parliament. On a wave of popular acclaim Mrs May announces snap general election and has a landslide victory (maybe the last is going too far)
    Remainers happy as they now see UK will still be under Union control for ever, even if the UK doesn’t get a say how it is run. CBI happy as all the big, foreign owned multi-nationals have got their way and foreign manufactures will continue to dominate the UK market. Leavers told to “suck it up” with all the other lies, false hopes and betrayals.
    Oh and by the way, Gibraltar will be under Spanish/EU control, UK fishing rights will be given away and UK policies will be dictated by the EU via the Joint Committee.
    This isn’t a flight of fantasy. It’s all in the Withdrawal Agreement if anyone can be bothered to read it.
    Alan
    PS The Withdrawal Agreement does not actually deal with leaving the EU (which is still the proverbial “cliff edge” but pushed back from March 2019 to December 2020). It seems as if our negotiators have spent the last 18 months negotiating an 18 month delay, and the focus has been staying in rather than getting out.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,130 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanP View Post
    Just an observation
    In the DUP and the Cabinet, concerns have been raised about the proposed “backstop” plan. Even Scotland is complaining that Northern Ireland is getting preferential treatment.
    This is a pre-planned distraction. The UK and Union have repeatedly said they don’t intend to use the backstop plan.
    When the Withdrawal Agreement was drawn up, the UK and Union negotiators would have known this was always going to be a problem, so they have already provided the solution within the Agreement.
    The Irish backstop only becomes active after the end of the Transition period if no long term trade agreement is reached. An alternative is offered within the Agreement with an extended Transition period (suggested as short term by Mrs May but there is no actual date or duration identified). The impression given in the WA is that the time extension will be agreed as a last resort.
    So the “solution” to the Irish backstop is simple. Our amazing leader will fly to Brussels at the last minute and in a display of dazzling diplomatic skill, she will personally negotiate with the Union that the Transition period will not end on 31st December 2020, but will be extended until a new trade deal is signed.
    Voila, problem solved
    Amid loud cheering we welcome back our victorious leader. Backstop disappears, DUP and rebels silenced, everyone claims victory snatched from the jaws of defeat. Withdrawal Agreement squeaks through Parliament. On a wave of popular acclaim Mrs May announces snap general election and has a landslide victory (maybe the last is going too far)
    Remainers happy as they now see UK will still be under Union control for ever, even if the UK doesn’t get a say how it is run. CBI happy as all the big, foreign owned multi-nationals have got their way and foreign manufactures will continue to dominate the UK market. Leavers told to “suck it up” with all the other lies, false hopes and betrayals.
    Oh and by the way, Gibraltar will be under Spanish/EU control, UK fishing rights will be given away and UK policies will be dictated by the EU via the Joint Committee.
    This isn’t a flight of fantasy. It’s all in the Withdrawal Agreement if anyone can be bothered to read it.
    Alan
    PS The Withdrawal Agreement does not actually deal with leaving the EU (which is still the proverbial “cliff edge” but pushed back from March 2019 to December 2020). It seems as if our negotiators have spent the last 18 months negotiating an 18 month delay, and the focus has been staying in rather than getting out.
    Hello Alanp and welcome to the forum,I with Bright Young Thing are the mods on here,your first few posts may need approving any probs give one of us a pm.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanP View Post
    It seems as if our negotiators have spent the last 18 months negotiating an 18 month delay, and the focus has been staying in rather than getting out.

There is a reason it seems like that ..

Olly_Robbins.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
    There is a reason it seems like that ..

Olly_Robbins.jpg
    Isn't it more likely that we are being bounced into a last minute panic decision, believing there is no other way?
    ...till I die I will not remove mine integrity from me, xx