Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Angela Merkel has lost ground to the intelligence displayed by the AfD

Thanks
    Sorry Cromwell, there were some exceptions.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to grumzed For This Useful Post:

cromwell (30-10-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    No what she is saying is that sovereign countries should make their own decisions for the benefit of their own people . That the 4 freedoms should be on offer in any Brexit deal as that would be the best deal for Germany . That the centralised decision making of the EU is not what Germany should be agreeing to and that with the UK withdrawal along with its contributions a smaller less Europe should be the future .
    In short it was a speech in support of the Nation state . Give that girl a medal .
    I heard all that, but during the speech she called for the UK to be offered the 4 UK freedoms including freedom of movement. What did she mean by that? Perhaps you are saying the meant the UK should be offered freedom of movement of our UK citizens to go wherever we want, but not freedom of Germans to come to the UK? If that's what she meant, how is that supporting national decision making as she is allowing UK citizens to go and work in Germany and getting nothing in return.

If not, what did she mean by the comments about the UK being offered the 4 freedoms? It appeared to me that she spoke a lot of tough talk about German people making German decisions, then proposed something that would be directly against that.

Her speech was heavy on rhetoric but light on specifics, like many right wing speakers. Also if I'm not mistaken her party doesn't have anything like a majority support in Germany.

I'm also in favour of national sovereign countries making their own decisions. That's why the EU is not a sovereign country and never has been, and that's why the politically elected an politically appointed arms of the EU are not allowed to initiate policy, because the EU isn't supposed to make its own political policies - it is supposed to propose policies in line with what the member countries would want. The elected parts are in order to prevent policies and laws that the 27 nations don't want from coming into force.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    I heard all that, but during the speech she called for the UK to be offered the 4 UK freedoms including freedom of movement. What did she mean by that? Perhaps you are saying the meant the UK should be offered freedom of movement of our UK citizens to go wherever we want, but not freedom of Germans to come to the UK? If that's what she meant, how is that supporting national decision making as she is allowing UK citizens to go and work in Germany and getting nothing in return.

If not, what did she mean by the comments about the UK being offered the 4 freedoms? It appeared to me that she spoke a lot of tough talk about German people making German decisions, then proposed something that would be directly against that.

Her speech was heavy on rhetoric but light on specifics, like many right wing speakers. Also if I'm not mistaken her party doesn't have anything like a majority support in Germany.

I'm also in favour of national sovereign countries making their own decisions. That's why the EU is not a sovereign country and never has been, and that's why the politically elected an politically appointed arms of the EU are not allowed to initiate policy, because the EU isn't supposed to make its own political policies - it is supposed to propose policies in line with what the member countries would want. The elected parts are in order to prevent policies and laws that the 27 nations don't want from coming into force.
    Yes she said that the UK should be offered the 4 freedoms which is fine . We accept free trade , services and movement of capital . Thanks for offering but free movement of people lets too many people we don't want or need so we don't want that one thanks . We can work with you with the other freedoms .I think this is something along the lines of what Cameron was asking when hey ignored him in January 2016 .
    People have always worked in other nations . It has though been based on the need of the nation or industry within that nation not the need of the individual .

The AfD is the 3rd largest party in Germany and therefore has some influence in a government based on PR .

I am glad you are a supporter of Nations making their own decisions though as a remainer its as long as you can get the other 27 to agree with you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Streetwalker For This Useful Post:

Barry (30-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 799 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumzed View Post
    ...You all had a go at Javert...
    They did?

Spoilsports. Nobody told me. I had a free hour this afternoon too.