Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Theresa May abandons pledge for 'time limit' on UK's stay in customs union

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    as part of Brexit deal

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8580571.html

It looks as though the Rubber Lady has decided once again that her best tactic is to march into the Brexit negotiations waving a white flag.

I was hoping that she would hang about until April to ensure a relatively smooth transistion but the way things are going she will probably be out by Christmas.
    Hmmm.....a lot of people were saying she wouldn't make it to last christmas yet here she still is,the eu doesn't do democracy,neither do the establishment or much of the commons in reality.

This is typical of how opposition to Brussels is handled,in this case though the UK is a harder nut to crack.

Anyone taking bets that in a couple of years time we are still in the single market,paying tribute and bowing down to the ecj in one guise or another?
    Since 1945 how often was the legitimacy of a general election result questioned and how many received 52% of the vote?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Hmmm.....a lot of people were saying she wouldn't make it to last christmas yet here she still is,the eu doesn't do democracy,neither do the establishment or much of the commons in reality.

This is typical of how opposition to Brussels is handled,in this case though the UK is a harder nut to crack.

Anyone taking bets that in a couple of years time we are still in the single market,paying tribute and bowing down to the ecj in one guise or another?
    I agree cromwell , and i was one of those saying she wouldnt make it to xmas yet here she is.

Its through no particular skill or political nous of hers though that she is still in place , merely " events" , as we see throughout history from time to time , where someone totally out of their depth is given power yet bumbles from one crises to the next. I likened her to a modern day english king like edward the second.

Not sure how theresa mays incompetence is the fault of brussels though , surely it highlights the gross lack of real democracy in the uk and that pit of self entitlement that is westminster when brexiters who were not that long ago telling me on forums like this they were voting tory to achieve brexit now dont trust those they put their faith in to enact the referendum result they won???

Her strategy of can kicking down the road has kept her in place so far but can only last so long .

I pointed out the 1979 scottish devolution refernedum result , and westminsters duplicity , and i wouldnt bet against the same happening here.
    sing to me the history of my country. It is sweet to the soul to hear it. Flann Mac Lonain ( c.850-918 a.d)
    Alba gu brath An rud is fhiach a ghabhail, 's fhiach e iarraidh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I agree cromwell , and i was one of those saying she wouldnt make it to xmas yet here she is.

Its through no particular skill or political nous of hers though that she is still in place , merely " events" , as we see throughout history from time to time , where someone totally out of their depth is given power yet bumbles from one crises to the next. I likened her to a modern day english king like edward the second.

Not sure how theresa mays incompetence is the fault of brussels though , surely it highlights the gross lack of real democracy in the uk and that pit of self entitlement that is westminster when brexiters who were not that long ago telling me on forums like this they were voting tory to achieve brexit now dont trust those they put their faith in to enact the referendum result they won???

Her strategy of can kicking down the road has kept her in place so far but can only last so long .

I pointed out the 1979 scottish devolution refernedum result , and westminsters duplicity , and i wouldnt bet against the same happening here.
    Guilty as charged
    Since 1945 how often was the legitimacy of a general election result questioned and how many received 52% of the vote?

Thanks
    Unfortunately Britain wants to be have its cake, and eat it. It's voted out. That means a hard border. If it can't stomach a hard border, it should not have voted out. It's that simple.
    Last edited by Bright Young Thing; 19-10-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Changed from bold type

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Unfortunately Britain wants to be have its cake, and eat it. It's voted out. That means a hard border. If it can't stomach a hard border, it should not have voted out. It's that simple.
    Thatís a bold statement...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Wrong!! The truth is that the UK have very little cake from the EU.....and what that little amount it is, is VASTLY OVERPRICED.....
    I think you will find that your fatuous 'hard border' not being stomached by the UK is just 'nonsense'.....the UK has declared that it wishes to keep to keep the border as open as possible - with the Good Friday Agreement in mind, but using electronic means to assist the passage of goods etc....the EU alone is responsible for what type of border it maintains on its side......but they hope to be able to agree a common solution, followed by a mutually beneficial trade agreement.........now THAT is simple enough for even you to understand, surely??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    You forgot to ask how many 'legitimate' election results were asked to be re-run - because the 'losers' didn't like the result?????