Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will pull the plug on May's government?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    No problems then Lankou. How long do you give the Tories until their government falls? A year, a month, close of business today?
    Could be any of them. But I personally doubt very much it will be a year with the DUP being a major cause.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    In case you hadn't noticed there already is an open war in the Tory Party and the Cabinet.
    Yes but it isn't over racist and fascist elements like in the Labour Party.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yes but it isn't over racist and fascist elements like in the Labour Party.
    Proof, (and be VERY careful with your answer,) do not post newspaper articles.

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...itical-parties

Thanks

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...itical-parties
    Have you been living under a rock?

And showing a poll of what 1164 people think shows what exactly?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How long do you give the Tories until their government falls? A year, a month, close of business today?
    It's anybody's guess. As I say in my original post, the government has been in a precarious position for ages and has stumbled through several pitfalls, any of which could have taken it down. The circumstances exist now for the fall of the government, so it wouldn't surprise me if the moment came next week or next month. But it might not happen at all. Who would have thought David Cameron would have been gone so soon after the disastrous EU referendum? He was a PM in quite a strong position, yet he was but one big misjudgement away from departure.

During the Thatcher years, or indeed the Blair years, it was pretty unlikely that either government would be brought down by dissent from within. Thatcher was forced out by a leadership battle, Blair handed over to Brown when it looked like things were about to go pear-shaped, but their respective parties remained safely in power. That's what's different now. The PM's position is under attack from within the party at the same time as her government's working majority is under threat.
    I dahn do non-judgement'aw. ... and put ya blinkin' shirt on mate, wiwya!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 916 Posts
    HQQ; a thought provoking OP and I'd not like to predict the outcome. I do expect at the back of your mind is that getting rid of May would mean the end of both the Tories and the end of Brexit. All those MPs who voted for Article 50 would realise they had made a mistake and ask Barnier if we can cancel Brexit, join the Euro and cancel any rebate we used to have so we can be fully committed members.
    No, it won't happen. The only likely effect of disruption in Parliament will be the inability to approve any deal.
    Now, funnily enough, your beloved EU have said yesterday that they are 85% there with the agreement, it's just 15% which is proving impossible.
    Labour will vote against any deal that doesn't fit Kier Starmer's tests. The Leavers in the Tory party will vot against anything that looks like we remain hamstrung by the ECJ or free movement. The DUP will vote against anything but a clean break. Then, with only 169 days to go at present, time will run out and we will have left.

OK, let's hypothesise for a moment that the unelectable Corbyn manages to get a clear majority in a new election. Corbyn is a leaver and has spoken out against the EU in the past. His party talked him into supporting the remain position, but he does not believe in it. With the exception of London, nearly all the Labour seats in the country voted to Leave the EU. How will they ever get elected if they stand at the next election on a reverse Brexit ticket?

It doesn't matter who is in Number 10, it will be political suicide for any party to try to remain in the EU without a proper mandate from the electorate. So Brexit has to go ahead in some form or another, and it might be a BINO or it might be a Canada+ or it might be a scrambled eggs last minute botched Brexit, but Brexit it will have to be.

No one wants to front the UK parliament at the moment, so my money is on May lasting until March 30th. I wouldn't be surprised if she announced her departure on that date.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Borchester View Post
    Personally, I think Boris will be a complete dick as a PM, but at least he will be fun.
    Well, it's been a while since I've been to the circus.
    those princes have accomplished most who paid little heed to keeping their promises, but who knew how to manipulate the minds of men craftily.

Machiavelli, The Prince

Thanks

You should have read the article more carefully..

Some commentators in the Labour antisemitism row have cherry-picked data from the “Antisemitism Barometer” – a study of attitudes to and among British Jews.
    Those seeking to defend the party have focused on the finding that Labour voters are slightly less likely than Conservatives to endorse an antisemitic statement (32 per cent of Labour supporters, versus 40 per cent of Conservative supporters).
    But the same study also found that the vast majority (83 per cent) of British Jewish people surveyed believe that Labour is too tolerant of antisemitism in its ranks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,250 Times in 916 Posts
    According to The Times, it's the two beauties, Penny Mordaunt and Esther McVey who could resign from the cabinet and upset the apple cart. There is a high level meeting this afternoon to get everyone onside over what the EU are mackling together. Much depends on what that fudge is.