Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tackling misinformation in an open society

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,283
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 353 Times in 308 Posts

    Tackling misinformation in an open society

    Tackling misinformationin an open society is a report by FullFact into false news and related matters.
    I am posting the link because some people here may wish to read it because it is such an important issue:-

    https://fullfact.org/media/uploads/f...en_society.pdf

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,525
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 290 Times in 228 Posts
    Yes, thanks. An interesting paper. It's not an easy issue to solve and is getting worse all the time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    656
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Tackling misinformationin an open society is a report by FullFact into false news and related matters.
    I am posting the link because some people here may wish to read it because it is such an important issue:-

    https://fullfact.org/media/uploads/f...en_society.pdf
    I clicked on the link and got as far as there being 36 pages. Come on mate, how much time and interest do you think people will spend on this, or any subject come to think of it ?
    Keep Britain British, whoops, it's too late

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,283
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 353 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Know it View Post
    I clicked on the link and got as far as there being 36 pages. Come on mate, how much time and interest do you think people will spend on this, or any subject come to think of it ?
    Given how much false news and outright lies we get from the government, the press and the media if you can't be bothered that is your problem, other people do care enough to read it all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    4,937
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 517 Times in 433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Given how much false news and outright lies we get from the government, the press and the media if you can't be bothered that is your problem, other people do care enough to read it all.
    But I bet the amount of myth and speculation peddled by weirdos, the duped, and paid plants on forums such as this far outweighs what comes from legit sources.
    Apologies, but I was unable to keep a straight face driving through Bicester recently as I recalled outright (expletive deleted) fabrications from a poster, who appears to enjoy disrupting forums with such blatant distortions and untruths (seriously)...
    The poster reserves the right to amend or completely change any opinions he has posted at any time...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Southport
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Tackling misinformationin an open society is a report by FullFact into false news and related matters.
    I am posting the link because some people here may wish to read it because it is such an important issue:-

    https://fullfact.org/media/uploads/f...en_society.pdf
    And who is checking fullfact.org? Do we just blindly believe it because it’s called full fact?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    7,778
    Thanks
    1,286
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 860 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And who is checking fullfact.org? Do we just blindly believe it because it’s called full fact?
    To be fair, they are not bad. I expect they'll eventually go the same way as "hope not hate" and be taken over by left wing loonies.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,283
    Thanks
    233
    Thanked 353 Times in 308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And who is checking fullfact.org? Do we just blindly believe it because it’s called full fact?
    If you look at any reports on the Full Fact website they supply references for every analysis.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    966
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 112 Times in 95 Posts
    A lot of wishful thinking in the full Fact recommendations and I would not support opening the electoral register for use by other groups to promote their pet views.

Similar Threads

  1. Political courage needed on tackling inequality
    By edward222 in forum Political News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-12-2015, 11:54 AM
  2. More urgency on tackling poverty call
    By stevectaylor in forum Political News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13-12-2015, 08:34 AM
  3. Nick Clegg stressed the importance of multiculturalism to an open confident society
    By soloman in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  4. The Big Society
    By HannahG in forum United Kingdom Politics & Political Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-12-2010, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •