Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gotcha? Ministers lying over School spend increase.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Javert View Post
    If you have a company at all, you are obviously running it on a cash accounting basis which means it's a very small company. Large companies are not run this way and in fact it's illegal to run them this way.
    Another Remoaner who either can't or refuses to read properly.

Would you like to show me where I said I had taken money out of my business.

It has nothing what so ever to do with taking money out of a business, this was merely a point to what HMRC deems to be within a yearly statement.

And if the government gives out student loans then they have every right to put those down as spending.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Another Remoaner who either can't or refuses to read properly.

Would you like to show me where I said I had taken money out of my business.

It has nothing what so ever to do with taking money out of a business, this was merely a point to what HMRC deems to be within a yearly statement.

And if the government gives out student loans then they have every right to put those down as spending.
    So you think that when your bank gives you a loan, they count that as a loss and spending unless you pay it back?

Sorry but your statements are not just questionable but factually wrong. The government cannot count loans as spending in general, and in principle they should not be doing so on student loans unless they believe the loans will never be paid back. They are assets on the balance sheet that will be recovered in future years.

Now - it could be that the government counts a certain percentage of the loan book as not recoverable already, which might be ok if they have data to back up the assumption, but from what I read yesterday, they are not just including that in the numbers, they are including the entire student loan book. If I'm wrong in that I'm happy to be corrected but that's what the articles implied.

And once again, if they count that as spending in a debate about school funding, they should also count it as spending in all other calculations relating to government figures.

And in any case, as I've said twice now and been ignored, this debate was about primary and secondary school funding - if the spending of University and private school funding went up but the former went down, it's misleading to lump them all together in the context of that discussion.

Government - "Hey - we've cut your child's primary school budget so they won't be able to read any more when they finish, but don't worry, it's fine because they'll be able to get a student loan later to go to University (once they teach themselves to read)."