Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavanaugh

Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 Times in 1,779 Posts

Brett Kavanaugh

So Trumps nominee is not fit for office,what I don't understand is that he is already a judge and in the appeal courts of Columbia,this must have already been known to his accuser so why has she waited till now to declare her accusations?

Surely it must've have occurred to her earlier that if what she says is true he should not have been in a position to judge anyone in a court be it minor or the highest in the land.
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,327 Posts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45687301
    Looks like he made it to a full senate vote, Cromwell.
    This has the look of a fit up, based on the fact she never made any complaint for 36 years and when she did speak up to Senator Dianne Feinstein, (the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee) she sat on it for six weeks until virtually the last moment in the Senate’s consideration of Kavanaugh’s nomination to bring maximum impact to the allegation.

There needs to be a statute of limitations for this kind of thing. Thirty six years for crying out loud!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barry For This Useful Post:

Borchester (05-10-2018), cromwell (28-09-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    So Trumps nominee is not fit for office,what I don't understand is that he is already a judge and in the appeal courts of Columbia,this must have already been known to his accuser so why has she waited till now to declare her accusations?Surely it must've have occurred to her earlier that if what she says is true he should not have been in a position to judge anyone in a court be it minor or the highest in the land.
    So you know who all the judges are in this country then and if one of the judges in this country had committed a crime against you when you were a teenager that you spent a long time trying to forget, you would be aware of it?You do realise that people donít just become a judge straight from college? I havenít looked into all the details on this, but based on your post, Iím pretty sure you havenít either.Whatís interesting about it is that when I tried to look in the newspapers in the UK, I couldnít find any detailed account of the actual evidence on both sides - plenty of reports of the headlines and the emotions etc, but nothing about all the details you would normally expect in such a case.Indeed there could be a stitch up that this woman is coming forwards to expose herself to ridicule and attack from half the population of the world for who knows what purpose, but there could also be a stitch up that this is being forced to a vote and a fait accompli before a proper investigation has been done and itís been established what other evidence is available to confirm or refute what either party is saying.However if you want me to judge based on the listening to the testimony that was broadcast, I would say he is probably guilty. The next question then is whether he should be held accountable for a drunken incident as a teenager.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if that came through as a wall of text - I am on an ipad and it seems to ignore paragraph breaks when I actually post the message

Thanks

Surely it must've have occurred to her earlier that if what she says is true he should not have been in a position to judge anyone in a court be it minor or the highest in the land.
    Do you keep track of nasty people from your youth?
    Then there is a characteristic of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in that a stressful event that you had no control over has ben put in the back of your mind and some trigger possibly several decades afterwards brings it all back.
    (The trigger can be something seemingly insignificant.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lankou View Post
    Do you keep track of nasty people from your youth?
    Then there is a characteristic of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in that a stressful event that you had no control over has ben put in the back of your mind and some trigger possibly several decades afterwards brings it all back.
    (The trigger can be something seemingly insignificant.)
    Well in answer to you and Javert she was well aware he was a judge at the very least five years ago so really should've said something earlier.

I just think that whether this is true or not is being used for political purposes.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8556386.html
    The new parliamentary democracy,it's not the will of the people that counts but the will of 650......will come back to haunt them.

Thanks
    Well in answer to you and Javert she was well aware he was a judge at the very least five years ago so really should've said something earlier.

That does no mean anything. Something must have triggered her to make a complaint.

Thanks
    That does no mean anything. Something must have triggered her to make a complaint.
    Doesn't mean anything? So why did you reply asking if I kept track of nasty people from my youth in reply to my earlier post?

Thanks
    Doesn't mean anything? So why did you reply asking if I kept track of nasty people from my youth in reply to my earlier post?
    That is just one aspect. The other being have you ever tried complaining about anyone in authority?

Thanks
    I don't think any of us here are in any position to judge this situation - but of course, as per normal, it won't stop us having strong opinions .

I can understand some of the complainants only acting now, even after 37 years. It is only in the last few years that many women have felt able, and sufficiently empowered to speak out, so I do not think this it weakens the likelyhood of the truth of the allegations particularly. In any case, they could have regarded the elevation of Kavanaugh to the supreme court a step too far and the time to make a stand.

On the other hand I agree that 37 years is a long time to wait before acting on such an issue and they were certainly different times back then - also they were all just kids. Kavanaugh was only 17 and if he did do the things he was accused of, his age should be taken into account. I expect many of us did things at that age we would not be so proud of today - even though the alleged acts were rather OTT even then. Nonetheless, I am not sure he merits this prestigious elevation given that alleged blemish. In any case, the whole deal is about the Republicans trying to get a majority on this committee and the Democrats trying to stop them - it says much about the lack of political independence in the judiciary within the USA. It is appalling how one side is nearly 100% for him and the other 100% against. It shows the same lack of reasoning that seems to inflict humans who seem to want to resolve every issue into either black or white and then hold that belief whatever evidence is presented.

Thanks
    That is just one aspect. The other being have you ever tried complaining about anyone in authority?
    Well it seems to be working on him doesn't it,I doubt he'll stay the course.